Old 24-01-2010, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Picture on another Ng

There is a post on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens by Paddy's Pig asking what
a plant is. I'm sure I know it but can't remember it's name. It's driving
me mad, can some of you please look and see if you can ID it and put me out
of my misery?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 24-01-2010, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bob Hobden
writes
There is a post on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens by Paddy's Pig asking
what a plant is. I'm sure I know it but can't remember it's name. It's
driving me mad, can some of you please look and see if you can ID it
and put me out of my misery?

Is it a Lonicera of some description?
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 24-01-2010, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote...
, Bob Hobden writes
There is a post on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens by Paddy's Pig asking
what a plant is. I'm sure I know it but can't remember it's name. It's
driving me mad, can some of you please look and see if you can ID it and
put me out of my misery?

Is it a Lonicera of some description?

I don't think so, the trunks look remarkably like that but the leaves and
stems don't IMO.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 24-01-2010, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote...
, Bob Hobden writes
There is a post on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens by Paddy's Pig
asking what a plant is. I'm sure I know it but can't remember it's
name. It's driving me mad, can some of you please look and see if
you can ID it and put me out of my misery?

Is it a Lonicera of some description?

I don't think so, the trunks look remarkably like that but the leaves
and stems don't IMO.

The trunks reminded me of winter honeysuckles (or fly honeysuckle); the
leaves of Lonicera nitida or Lonicera pileata. But if Lonicera hasn't
struck a chord in your memory, presumably it's not what you're trying to
think of.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 24-01-2010, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
"Bob Hobden" said:

There is a post on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens by Paddy's Pig asking
what a plant is. I'm sure I know it but can't remember it's name. It's
driving me mad, can some of you please look and see if you can ID it
and put me out of my misery?

NIN don't allow me access to that one, Bob and when I try to look
through Google groups I seem to get to Garden Banter and all sorts of
other locations! What am I doing wrong, or not doing rightly?

It's a binary Ng so NIN won't carry it.
I use BT for those groups, does your ISP carry binary groups?
You can access it through Gardenbanter I believe.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 24-01-2010, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote ...
Bob Hobden
"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote...
, Bob Hobden writes
There is a post on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens by Paddy's Pig asking
what a plant is. I'm sure I know it but can't remember it's name. It's
driving me mad, can some of you please look and see if you can ID it and
put me out of my misery?

Is it a Lonicera of some description?

I don't think so, the trunks look remarkably like that but the leaves and
stems don't IMO.

The trunks reminded me of winter honeysuckles (or fly honeysuckle); the
leaves of Lonicera nitida or Lonicera pileata. But if Lonicera hasn't
struck a chord in your memory, presumably it's not what you're trying to
think of.

It isn't what I was thinking of but may well be what you say. Looks like
it's pruned in a rather strange fashion, almost pollarded.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 24-01-2010, 10:48 PM
Registered User

The plant is in Anaheim, California, and is more likely to be a heavily pruned local conifer.
Old 25-01-2010, 02:35 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden View Post
There is a post on alt.binaries.pictures.gardens by Paddy's Pig asking what
a plant is. I'm sure I know it but can't remember it's name. It's driving
me mad, can some of you please look and see if you can ID it and put me out
of my misery?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK
hi i am usually wrong, but it looks a lot like an australian native called Beckea. pruned to create pads of foliage. cheers mates.
Old 25-01-2010, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I may be able to help, but don't get that newsgroup - not because
University newsfeeds are censored (though they are - seriously!)
but because our dite does not take binaries.

Ok, in order to help all those that can't see it I've put a copy of the
photo on my flickr page...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhobden/4303645971/

Those leaves don't look like Lonicera to me although the trunks certainly
do.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 25-01-2010, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 25 Jan, 18:05, "Bob Hobden" wrote:

I may be able to help, but don't get that newsgroup - not because
University newsfeeds are censored (though they are - seriously!)
but because our dite does not take binaries.

Ok, in order to help all those that can't see it I've put a copy of the
photo on my flickr page...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhobden/4303645971/

Those leaves don't look like Lonicera to me although the trunks certainly
do.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK

Ay last a picture.
I would rule out conifer as the trunks have been cut back so hard and
have sprouted from the cut area,
I am inclined to Lonicera but not L. Natidia but the slightly more lax
form Lonicera Pileata
David Hill
Old 25-01-2010, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Dave Hill wrote:
On 25 Jan, 18:05, "Bob Hobden" wrote:

I may be able to help, but don't get that newsgroup - not because
University newsfeeds are censored (though they are - seriously!)
but because our dite does not take binaries.

Ok, in order to help all those that can't see it I've put a copy of the
photo on my flickr page...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobhobden/4303645971/

Those leaves don't look like Lonicera to me although the trunks certainly
do.

Ay last a picture.
I would rule out conifer as the trunks have been cut back so hard and
have sprouted from the cut area,
I am inclined to Lonicera but not L. Natidia but the slightly more lax
form Lonicera Pileata

I am pretty sure that I have seen it. The leaves look rather like
a yew, which would also sprout from old wood, but I don't think
that it is.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 26-01-2010, 09:45 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Robert Hinsley View Post
That was my thought at first glance - but what conifer has foliage like
that?
Podocarps can have surprisingly broad short almond-shaped leaves. And aren't seen very much around here, so we aren't familiar with them. But this does not look like any podocarp I've seen, the leaves don't sit on the branches correctly to start with. Another coniferous objection was to resprouting, which certainly cypresses and pines don't do. But there are some conifers that do resprout from bare wood if you cut them back, there was one in my garden which resprouted even from the stump which I reduced it to for removal, I think it was a cryptomeria of some kind. But this is not anything like that either. The leaves look like broadleaf to me.

Having googled some close-up shots of L. pileata, which is what I first thought of too, I'm not convinced it is that.

Someone mentioned Baeckia (correct spelling), which is a member of the Myrtaceae, like many Australian plants. I think it is quite a reasonable suggestion. There's a picture of B. camphorata on wikipedia which has just the right jizz in terms of the way the stems hold themselves and the branching. The leaves don't look spot on, but there's about 50 species in the genus, so maybe another one, but it seems tricky getting pictures for comparison.
Old 28-01-2010, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote
Dave Hill wrote:

"Bob Hobden" wrote:

[...]

Having had time to think, I'm wondering about it being a strangely pruned
Jasminum species.
Perhaps
J. auriculatum or J. mesnyi although there are a lot of leaves on those
stems.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden