Old 14-02-2010, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Seed Potatoes

Reading the Kitchen Garden I notice you can now buy seed potatoes direct
from a Scottish grower.

Their URL is... www.jbaseedpotatoes.co.uk

Handy if you can't get to a Potato day.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 14-02-2010, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote...
Reading the Kitchen Garden I notice you can now buy seed potatoes direct
from a Scottish grower.

Their URL is... www.jbaseedpotatoes.co.uk

Handy if you can't get to a Potato day.

also noticed that Seed Potatoes come in three main grades...
Pre-basic
Basic
Certified
where Pre-basic is the best and not normally available to the public and
Certified the worse.
Opposite to what one might think.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 14-02-2010, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote ...
, "Bob Hobden" wrote:

Reading the Kitchen Garden I notice you can now buy seed potatoes direct
from a Scottish grower.

Their URL is... www.jbaseedpotatoes.co.uk

Handy if you can't get to a Potato day.

but expensive postage unless you buy 20kg .

I thought that until the Boss pointed out how much petrol it costs for us to
travel to our normal Potato Day in Hampshire which we had to miss this year.
We have ordered small packs of a number of maincrop varieties to try.
Already have our usual first and second early seed.
Shame they don't do Victoria, rapidly becoming our favourite maincrop, will
just have to replant our own. They do sell Majestic for those that want the
real old fashioned chip taste.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 14-02-2010, 03:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 14 Feb, 11:51, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Martin" *wrote ...
, "Bob Hobden" *wrote:

Reading the Kitchen Garden I notice you can now buy seed potatoes direct
from a Scottish grower.

Their URL is... *www.jbaseedpotatoes.co.uk

Handy if you can't get to a Potato day.

but expensive postage unless you buy 20kg .

I thought that until the Boss pointed out how much petrol it costs for us to
travel to our normal Potato Day in Hampshire which we had to miss this year.
We have ordered small packs of a number of maincrop varieties to try.
Already have our usual first and second early seed.
Shame they don't do Victoria, rapidly becoming our favourite maincrop, will
just have to replant our own. They do sell Majestic for those that want the
real old fashioned chip taste.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK

You can now get Minitubers which are produced Hydroponicly and are
said to be free of all pathogens.
MINI-TUBERS

Mini-tuber production commences with laboratory in-vitro micro-
propagation
of the initial micro-plants grown under stringent quality assurance
controls.
Nodal cuttings are taken from the micro-plants, rooted in sterile
nutrient jelly,
are moved to a screened compost based or hydroponic growing facility.
This new technology provides secure long term storage of heritage
varieties and
allowing rapid introduction of varieties old and new.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/RHSWebsite/fil...95e2ab9744.pdf

http://www.jbaseedpotatoes.co.uk/her...ubers-c14.html

David Hill
Old 14-02-2010, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote
"Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Martin" wrote ...
, "Bob Hobden" wrote:

[...]

I understood you plant the mini-tubers to get seed potatoes for planting the
next year and you can then reuse your own crops for planting again for up to
7 years.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 14-02-2010, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 14 Feb, 16:28, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Dave Hill" *wrote
*"Bob Hobden" *wrote:

http://www.rhs.org.uk/RHSWebsite/fil...-471c-baa0-539...

http://www.jbaseedpotatoes.co.uk/her...ubers-c14.html

I understood you plant the mini-tubers to get seed potatoes for planting the
next year and you can then reuse your own crops for planting again for up to
7 years.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK- Hide quoted text -

Yes but you can also use them to crop, just a little less than from
convential potatoes,
I'd use the largest and save the smaller ones for seed
David Hill
Old 15-02-2010, 12:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
Reading the Kitchen Garden I notice you can now buy seed potatoes direct
from a Scottish grower.

Their URL is... www.jbaseedpotatoes.co.uk

Handy if you can't get to a Potato day.

We went to the Hampshire Potato Day, but noticed that they didn't have some
of our old favourites. However, JBA Seed Potatoes did, so I certainly
wouldn't hesitate to use them in future.

Our current favourite is Rooster, also Red King Eds and Arran Victory. We
found the E. European ones like Sarpo were heavy croppers but didn't have
much flavour.

Alan Romans' guide is the best we've found for descriptions of potato
characteristics. He used to come to Potato Days but we haven't seen him for
a few years now.

http://www.alanromans.com/p-1530-ala...-potatoes.aspx

someone

growing potatoes and onions from seed Tim Challenger United Kingdom 14 01-03-2005 07:37 AM
On the way to buy some seed potatoes! Alan Holmes United Kingdom 1 22-02-2005 10:24 PM
Seed potatoes Ron United Kingdom 13 25-02-2003 05:42 AM
Got my seed potatoes - now what? Sarah Dale United Kingdom 2 05-02-2003 10:47 PM
Fancy seed potatoes (Cambridge) Nick Maclaren United Kingdom 1 30-01-2003 12:27 PM