Old 10-03-2010, 08:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Knotweed

Rusty Hinge wrote:

Charlie Pridham wrote:

Indeed and down here when I was growing up it was known as Donkey Rhubarb
and we all ate it as children, My wife still maintains the only reason it
has become a problem as children don't eat it any more!!

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this as I've passed-over a lot of
posts due to lack of snipping -

but, heard on Auntie BBC there is, there is about to be or there has
been a trial with a (Japanese) insect which noshes knotweed to death.

More like a state of submission. Any life-form that kills off the one
thing it eats is not going to live for much longer.
--
Phil Cook http://www.therewaslight.co.uk
Old 12-03-2010, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Phil Cook wrote:
Rusty Hinge wrote:

Charlie Pridham wrote:

Indeed and down here when I was growing up it was known as Donkey Rhubarb
and we all ate it as children, My wife still maintains the only reason it
has become a problem as children don't eat it any more!!

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this as I've passed-over a lot of
posts due to lack of snipping -

but, heard on Auntie BBC there is, there is about to be or there has
been a trial with a (Japanese) insect which noshes knotweed to death.

More like a state of submission. Any life-form that kills off the one
thing it eats is not going to live for much longer.

I can think of a few diseases which negate that point.

--
Rusty
Old 12-03-2010, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty Hinge wrote:

Phil Cook wrote:
Rusty Hinge wrote:

Charlie Pridham wrote:

Indeed and down here when I was growing up it was known as Donkey Rhubarb
and we all ate it as children, My wife still maintains the only reason it
has become a problem as children don't eat it any more!!
I don't know if anyone's mentioned this as I've passed-over a lot of
posts due to lack of snipping -

but, heard on Auntie BBC there is, there is about to be or there has
been a trial with a (Japanese) insect which noshes knotweed to death.

More like a state of submission. Any life-form that kills off the one
thing it eats is not going to live for much longer.

I can think of a few diseases which negate that point.

Ebola and that heamoragic fever that rabbits get? The viruses don't
kill 100% of those they infect. It may be that ebola is very good at
killing humans but less effective at killing monkeys which are
probably the original host of the virus.
--
Phil Cook http://www.therewaslight.co.uk
Old 13-03-2010, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Phil Cook wrote:
Rusty Hinge wrote:

Phil Cook wrote:
Rusty Hinge wrote:

Charlie Pridham wrote:

Indeed and down here when I was growing up it was known as Donkey Rhubarb
and we all ate it as children, My wife still maintains the only reason it
has become a problem as children don't eat it any more!!
I don't know if anyone's mentioned this as I've passed-over a lot of
posts due to lack of snipping -

but, heard on Auntie BBC there is, there is about to be or there has
been a trial with a (Japanese) insect which noshes knotweed to death.
More like a state of submission. Any life-form that kills off the one
thing it eats is not going to live for much longer.

I can think of a few diseases which negate that point.

Ebola and that heamoragic fever that rabbits get? The viruses don't
kill 100% of those they infect. It may be that ebola is very good at
killing humans but less effective at killing monkeys which are
probably the original host of the virus.

Only with the intervention of modern medicines.

I was in fact thinking of viruses which cause cancer, the malaria
parasite and others.

--
Rusty
Old 14-03-2010, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Rusty Hinge wrote:
Phil Cook wrote:
Rusty Hinge wrote:
Phil Cook wrote:
Rusty Hinge wrote:
Charlie Pridham wrote:

[...]

Most of those cancers don't normally kill until the victim is past
the main procreative years, and malaria doesn't even kill the
majority of people it infects (and that's WITHOUT treatment of any
sort).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.