Old 09-07-2004, 03:02 AM
Tim923

Default Japanese knotweed pics

I took some neat pics of this weed.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze8adrh/weed1.jpg
A big piece of property wasted to knotweed.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze8adrh/weed2.jpg
This neighbor put up a fence.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze8adrh/weed3.jpg
Even after a mow, this pesky stuff grows back.
Old 09-07-2004, 03:02 AM

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 01:03:07 GMT, Tim923 wrote:
I took some neat pics of this weed.

Aaiiieeeee, knotweed!!!! Noooooooo.........

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze8adrh/weed3.jpg
Even after a mow, this pesky stuff grows back.

Gee you think.

I should have posted pics of my patch. It was about 30 feet long and
10 feet wide and growing. I started getting worried that it was not
just some bamboo like plant despite the August blooms. When I found
out what it was I thought that I'd just chop it down, but boy does it
grow back.

This year I've resorted to poison - heavy doses of roundup. I think
I've killed most of it. At least its not growing back with its old
resiliency. This stuff takes some stomping on to keep down.

The worst thing is that now that I know what it is, I can see it
growing everywhere.

Swyck
Old 09-07-2004, 05:03 PM

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 05:08:54 -0400, Ann wrote:

expounded:

This year I've resorted to poison - heavy doses of roundup. I think
I've killed most of it. At least its not growing back with its old
resiliency. This stuff takes some stomping on to keep down.

The plant is at its weakest just as it flowers, hit it then, and
you'll get most of it. Then it's just a matter of followup on the
survivors. This is one plant I'll haul out the big guns (round-up)
for.

That's a shame really because its flowering is its only redeeming
feature. It s amazing how many flying insects are crawling over the
plants gathering nectar, many that I've never seen before and can't
identify. Still its gotta go.

Swyck
Old 09-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Tim923

Did this stuff overpopulate Japan, or does it have predators there?

[IMG] code is On

How do I kill field bindweed and Japanese knotweed? Raymond United Kingdom 5 03-11-2004 12:55 PM
japanese knotweed gntry Gardening 13 28-07-2004 03:02 PM
Japanese bamboo knotweed Tim923 Plant Science 9 24-07-2004 10:50 AM
Japanese Knotweed (BBC1, Countryfile today) al Gardening 3 02-09-2003 01:02 AM
Japanese Knotweed Janice United Kingdom 1 19-07-2003 12:23 AM