Old 20-02-2010, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default nasturtiums

I have a big area of banky dry and rough ground that I really do not have
the time or energy to do much with so I am thinking of letting nasturtiums
run riot. Any recommendations as to what variety I should use to best
coverage and effect ?

Kate

Old 20-02-2010, 03:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
I have a big area of banky dry and rough ground that I really do not have
the time or energy to do much with so I am thinking of letting nasturtiums
run riot. Any recommendations as to what variety I should use to best
coverage and effect ?

Kate

As well as the annual plants, you could always try a perennial Tropaeolum
such as polyphyllum. If it's happy it will come up each year and spread
around. I would, however, warn against Tropaeolum ciliatum which is quite
liable to become very invasive, and is almost impossible to kill.

--

Jeff

Old 21-02-2010, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I have a big area of banky dry and rough ground that I really do not have
the time or energy to do much with so I am thinking of letting
nasturtiums run riot. Any recommendations as to what variety I should use
to best coverage and effect ?

Kate

As well as the annual plants, you could always try a perennial Tropaeolum
such as polyphyllum. If it's happy it will come up each year and spread
around. I would, however, warn against Tropaeolum ciliatum which is quite
liable to become very invasive, and is almost impossible to kill.

Thank you all very much for your interest and ideas, I think I will go for
the nasturtiums this year for a quick coverage but I do like the idea of
prostrate rosemary, the area is sunny and well drained. I don't know the
polyphyllum, it looks good and cheerful, I have room for all :-) thanks
again

kate

Old 22-02-2010, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nasturtiums flower petals can be eaten in salads. I've seen it used in
very fancy restaurants and they have a peppery taste.

Old 23-02-2010, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Jeff Layman wrote:
Nasturtiums flower petals can be eaten in salads. I've seen it used
in very fancy restaurants and they have a peppery taste.

I was sometimes given nasturtium leaf sandwiches to eat by my mother
when young. They were quite as peppery as the flowers and nice.

Always worth checking the back of the leaves first for cabbage white
butterfly eggs or blackfly.

Hmm, hadn't noticed those, but I did notice that when my kids were munching
through nasturtium flowers summer before last a lot of them had little tiny
black beetle things hiding down inside the deepest bit of flower!