Old 25-02-2010, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Frogspawn here

Well I had thought they might have been a bit later this year with it
being such a cold winter but when I looked out of the window this
morning I could see the tell-tale ripples on the pond.
Went out and saw half a dozen or so frogs and one clump of spawn.
More frogs seemed to be arriving throughout the day and judging from the
noise coming from the pond now they're going to be partying tonight!

Jim
NE England
Old 26-02-2010, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 21:10:08 -0000, Jim wrote:

Well I had thought they might have been a bit later this year with it
being such a cold winter but when I looked out of the window this
morning I could see the tell-tale ripples on the pond.
Went out and saw half a dozen or so frogs and one clump of spawn.
More frogs seemed to be arriving throughout the day and judging from the
noise coming from the pond now they're going to be partying tonight!

No sign of spawn or frogs so far here in S Devon. Last year first frog
spotted on 16 January and spawn on 20 February.

--
rbel
Old 27-02-2010, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 22:31:38 -0000, rbel wrote:

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010 21:10:08 -0000, Jim wrote:

Well I had thought they might have been a bit later this year with it
being such a cold winter but when I looked out of the window this
morning I could see the tell-tale ripples on the pond.
Went out and saw half a dozen or so frogs and one clump of spawn.
More frogs seemed to be arriving throughout the day and judging from
the noise coming from the pond now they're going to be partying
tonight!

No sign of spawn or frogs so far here in S Devon. Last year first frog
spotted on 16 January and spawn on 20 February.

Just noticed 5 clumps of spawn! They must have been very busy under cover
of the low cloud that was blanketing us during Thursday and Friday.

--
rbel
Old 28-02-2010, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

And so have I in one of the ponds but not the other two. I went out to
check earlier and these little heads poked out of the water and there,
beside them, were lots of potential babies. Lovely!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Had two clumps of frog spawn about 5 days ago and another clump yesterday
(Saturday), I'm pretty sure they are earlier this year, sure it was
mid-March before I saw any last year.

Old 28-02-2010, 11:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010 11:15:01 -0000, "David D"
wrote:

Had two clumps of frog spawn about 5 days ago and another clump yesterday
(Saturday),

Ran out of tapioca, DD?

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)

Old 28-02-2010, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , David D
writes

And so have I in one of the ponds but not the other two. I went out to
check earlier and these little heads poked out of the water and there,
beside them, were lots of potential babies. Lovely!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.
South Devon

Had two clumps of frog spawn about 5 days ago and another clump yesterday
(Saturday), I'm pretty sure they are earlier this year, sure it was
mid-March before I saw any last year.

I agree, I think "our" frogs are "at it" earlier than last year. It's
like a scene from Caligula's birthday party out there right now. The
main pond is almost frothing - counted 27 frogs at the shallow end among
the stones/rocks and an indeterminate number involved in the heaving
among the oxygenating plants and the Thalia Dealbata at the deeper end.
Noticed a large very orange/pink frog this morning surveying the
activity; haven't seen this colour before. So something is definitely
stirring. Nothing visible in the larger wildlife pond at the end of our
patch but the small wild flower area around and alongside it is
beginning to poke up the successors to the snowdrops and w. aconites.
Hopefully the Snakes Head Frits will have survived and struggle through
the sodden clay on which we live.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!

frogspawn cineman United Kingdom 0 04-03-2009 10:07 PM
Slightly OT Frogspawn Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 5 01-04-2006 09:20 PM
NOT frogspawn - what is it? Yabbadoo Ponds 12 11-04-2005 07:28 PM
Frogspawn and cats?! mike. buckley United Kingdom 10 29-03-2004 11:32 PM
frogspawn Kay Easton United Kingdom 12 21-03-2004 04:17 AM