Old 29-03-2004, 09:02 AM
mike. buckley

Default Frogspawn and cats?!

After moving into a house with a pond I was pretty pleased to discover
some frogspawn in our pond. I was less pleased this morning to discover
that next doors cat appeared to be eating it.
This is a new one on me, is this common? I've had several ponds with
spawn in them before and never had this problem.

I'll be putting some mesh over the spawn to protect it (I'd rather shoot
the cat to be honest) so I should still see some tadpoles later in
Spring.

--
Mike Buckley
RD350LC2
Old 29-03-2004, 11:44 AM
Dcjtee

Got same thing happening here. I thought the vermin were just having a drink
when I first saw it.

The Hemyock, Devon, UK branch of The Residents Appreciation Society.

http://english.aljazeera.net

Old 29-03-2004, 02:44 PM
Bob Hobden

"mike b. wrote in message
After moving into a house with a pond I was pretty pleased to discover
some frogspawn in our pond. I was less pleased this morning to discover
that next doors cat appeared to be eating it.
This is a new one on me, is this common? I've had several ponds with
spawn in them before and never had this problem.

I'll be putting some mesh over the spawn to protect it (I'd rather shoot
the cat to be honest) so I should still see some tadpoles later in
Spring.

Hope all the lovely cats we get in the garden don't get a liking for it or
my Koi won't have their usual spring feast of nice juicy tadpoles. Frogs in
a fish pond are not a good idea anyway, they can bring the now common
disease "Red Leg" into the pond and that bacterium is transferable to fish
with dire consequences.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars

Old 29-03-2004, 03:17 PM
mike. buckley

In message , Bob Hobden
writes

"mike b. wrote in message
After moving into a house with a pond I was pretty pleased to discover
some frogspawn in our pond. I was less pleased this morning to discover
that next doors cat appeared to be eating it.
This is a new one on me, is this common? I've had several ponds with
spawn in them before and never had this problem.

I'll be putting some mesh over the spawn to protect it (I'd rather shoot
the cat to be honest) so I should still see some tadpoles later in
Spring.

Hope all the lovely cats we get in the garden don't get a liking for it or
my Koi won't have their usual spring feast of nice juicy tadpoles. Frogs in
a fish pond are not a good idea anyway, they can bring the now common
disease "Red Leg" into the pond and that bacterium is transferable to fish
with dire consequences.

Interesting, though I have no fish now I've had ponds before where the
two have coexisted successfully for many years. Well apart from a lot of
it getting eaten before we could move it to a second pond..

Old 29-03-2004, 03:37 PM
nick gray

"mike. buckley" wrote in message
k...
After moving into a house with a pond I was pretty pleased to discover
some frogspawn in our pond. I was less pleased this morning to discover
that next doors cat appeared to be eating it.
This is a new one on me, is this common? I've had several ponds with
spawn in them before and never had this problem.

I'll be putting some mesh over the spawn to protect it (I'd rather shoot
the cat to be honest) so I should still see some tadpoles later in
Spring.

--
Mike Buckley
RD350LC2
http://www.toastyhamster.freeserve.co.uk
BONY#38

Hi Mike,

If you are going to do this with fruit netting, check it regularly.

A couple of years ago I did this to my pond to stop the heron eating the
fish. I had to rescue three frogs that had got caught up. I've now built a
cover using 2" galvanised steel mesh to keep out the cats, heron and
children. The frogs and toads can now get in and out easily, the cats don't
bother the fish, the heron sits on it just looking at the menu, but can't
dine and I've now trained my children not to try and walk over the pond!!

HTH

Nick
www.ukgardening.co.uk

Old 29-03-2004, 04:05 PM
shazzbat

SNIP
Hope all the lovely cats we get in the garden don't get a liking for it or
my Koi won't have their usual spring feast of nice juicy tadpoles. Frogs

in
a fish pond are not a good idea anyway, they can bring the now common
disease "Red Leg" into the pond and that bacterium is transferable to fish
with dire consequences.

--

I hope I'm not the only one having difficulty visualising red legged fish.

Steve.

Old 29-03-2004, 04:09 PM
Dcjtee

"Red Leg" into the pond and that bacterium is transferable to fish
with dire consequences.

A Google does NOT show that it jumps species....

Old 29-03-2004, 04:35 PM
mike. buckley

In message , nick
gray writes

Hi Mike,

If you are going to do this with fruit netting, check it regularly.

A couple of years ago I did this to my pond to stop the heron eating the
fish. I had to rescue three frogs that had got caught up. I've now built a
cover using 2" galvanised steel mesh to keep out the cats, heron and
children. The frogs and toads can now get in and out easily, the cats don't
bother the fish, the heron sits on it just looking at the menu, but can't
dine and I've now trained my children not to try and walk over the pond!!

I've got some sturdy mesh from an old rat cage that I was just going to
bend to fit the edge of the pond and stand upright, should stop the cat
as it'd need to get wet to reach it. It's plastic coated so shouldn't
cause any problems.

The option of sitting quietly with the supa-squirter will be taken when
it warms up a bit.

Old 29-03-2004, 04:45 PM
martin

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 15:24:39 +0100, "shazzbat"
wrote:

SNIP
Hope all the lovely cats we get in the garden don't get a liking for it or
my Koi won't have their usual spring feast of nice juicy tadpoles. Frogs

in
a fish pond are not a good idea anyway, they can bring the now common
disease "Red Leg" into the pond and that bacterium is transferable to fish
with dire consequences.

I hope I'm not the only one having difficulty visualising red legged fish.

There is no F in red legged Koi

Old 29-03-2004, 11:32 PM
Bob Hobden

"Dcjtee" wrote in message
"Red Leg" into the pond and that bacterium is transferable to fish
with dire consequences.

A Google does NOT show that it jumps species....

Well just shows you can't trust Google then. It's not a species specific
bacterium. :-)

Red Leg in a frogs is caused by Aeromonas liquefaciens which is also the
cause of hemorrhagic septicaemia (Ulcer Disease ) in fish which is
principally a disease of members of the carp family but not restricted to
that family. (Koi, Goldfish etc)
It is also the cause of "Red disease" in eels with similar ulcers as above
and is implicated in the disease "Red mouth" in Trout.
There are other fish diseases caused by this bacterium too, sometimes on
it's own and sometimes in combination with other bacteria.
Fish are at their most vulnerable in the spring as their water begins to
rise in temperature, starting the bacteria multiplying before the fish's gut
and immune systems are back in full function after the long winter slowdown.

Perhaps Google will show Schaperclaus (1954) who described this disease.
:-)

frogspawn cineman United Kingdom 0 04-03-2009 10:07 PM
Frogspawn in Shropshire Sally Thompson United Kingdom 20 05-03-2007 01:41 PM
Slightly OT Frogspawn Lynda Thornton United Kingdom 5 01-04-2006 09:20 PM
NOT frogspawn - what is it? Yabbadoo Ponds 12 11-04-2005 07:28 PM
frogspawn Kay Easton United Kingdom 12 21-03-2004 04:17 AM