Old 03-03-2010, 07:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default marestail

Any cures for marestail weed ?
Old 03-03-2010, 08:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , seeker
writes
Any cures for marestail weed ?

Dig dig dig! Leave not a single bit of root in the ground. If it's
coming from a neighbour's garden (under a fence or hedge), speak with
them to gain co-operation to attack it.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 03-03-2010, 08:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"seeker" wrote ...
Any cures for marestail weed ?

Hoeing and more hoeing over many years so it never gets to grow much will
significantly reduce it so it's no longer much of a problem.
Some say you can crush it and spray with weedkiller but I've never tried
that, just spraying with weedkiller won't work because the plant has a
waterproof skin.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 03-03-2010, 08:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 01:03:31 -0600, seeker
wrote:

Any cures for marestail weed ?

Could you dock it?

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)
Old 03-03-2010, 09:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:

"seeker" wrote ...
Any cures for marestail weed ?

Hoeing and more hoeing over many years so it never gets to grow much
will significantly reduce it so it's no longer much of a problem.
Some say you can crush it and spray with weedkiller but I've never tried
that, just spraying with weedkiller won't work because the plant has a
waterproof skin.

Silica exoskeleton doesn't wet even with modern surfactants. You have to
bruise it first. But a concerted campaign of never letting it see the
light without being pulled up or poisoned will eventually weaken it
after a few years. Glyphosate and a wallpaper paste (unlicenced use)
applied with a brush to the bruised stem will get it.

It seems to be a lot more of a problem in better drained and sandy
soils. In my heavy clay it barely grows at all. Once you have worked
over the soil with a bit of practice you can get 12-18" of root out with
every stem you pull. You will have lots of time to perfect the method.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 03-03-2010, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Any cures for marestail weed ?

There was a small patch of it in my garden and I kept pulling it up.
After a few years it stopped fighting back.

Steve

Neural network applications, help and support.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 01:03:31 -0600, seeker wrote:

Any cures for marestail weed ?

AIUI marestail (Hippuris vulgaris) is aquatic. Do you mean horsetail
(Equisetum)?
Old 03-03-2010, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
seeker wrote:

Any cures for marestail weed ?

"Horsetail" in my book, but never mind. I took over a garden in
Newcastle which was rife with it, and 2 years of spraying it with
"Tumbleweed" whenever it appeared got rid of it. I still get the
occasional one of course, just like you do with any weed.

Michael Bell

Old 03-03-2010, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Derek Turner
writes
On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 01:03:31 -0600, seeker wrote:

Any cures for marestail weed ?

AIUI marestail (Hippuris vulgaris) is aquatic. Do you mean horsetail
(Equisetum)?

He does mean horsetail (Equisetum). However, marestail is used for at
least three plants (the 3rd is Canadian fleabane), and the use for
Equisetum is widespread.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 06-03-2010, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

seeker wrote:
Any cures for marestail weed ?

ITYM horsetail? (Marestail is an aquatic or semi-aquatic plant.)

Lots of hard work and perseverance.

Bruise foliage as it appears and dose it with glyphosate and a touch of
detergent.

Repeat.

Perhaps for three years.

Don't try to dig it out - the roots can go down seven feet, and every
little bit you miss will grow...

Constant mowing also works - eventually.

--
Rusty

Old 06-03-2010, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Rusty Hinge wrote:
Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , Derek Turner
writes
On Wed, 03 Mar 2010 01:03:31 -0600, seeker wrote:

Any cures for marestail weed ?

AIUI marestail (Hippuris vulgaris) is aquatic. Do you mean horsetail
(Equisetum)?

He does mean horsetail (Equisetum). However, marestail is used for at
least three plants (the 3rd is Canadian fleabane), and the use for
Equisetum is widespread.

Yes, but totally incorrectly. (Just as glasswort is widely called
'samphire', ramsons are called 'wild garlic', and pelargoniums are
called 'geraniums'.)

Even in ye olden dayes when I was a lad, people thought glasswort was
called samphire. Fortunately, I was correted (1953) by someone who
showed me what samphire really looked like. (Yum! If anything, it's
better thn glasswort, which I adore too...)

Not at all. The English language is defined by its users, and not
by a any official body. In particular, the self-selected and
dogmatic English botanists who tried to define 'official' English
names can get knotted. They even tried to claim that bluebell
was a synonym for Campanula rotundifolia!

In particular, some names specify multiple species simultaneously,
others vary with location, some specify varieties or subspecies,
and some overlap those. English is imprecise. Live with it.
Marestail and samphire are fine. If you want to be specifically
precise, use the proper language, which is Latin.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message ,
writes
They even tried to claim that bluebell was a synonym for Campanula
rotundifolia!

Have you misspoken? It is - in Scotland. And I presume that you know
that.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 10-03-2010, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
In article ,
Rusty Hinge wrote:
[...]

No it ain't not nohow geez like innit.

In particular, the self-selected and
dogmatic English botanists who tried to define 'official' English
names can get knotted. They even tried to claim that bluebell
was a synonym for Campanula rotundifolia!

Bluebell by ancient tradition is in England the 'wild' hyacinth and in
Scotland, what in England is called a harebell.

In particular, some names specify multiple species simultaneously,
others vary with location, some specify varieties or subspecies,
and some overlap those. English is imprecise. Live with it.

Often, too often, English is modified by the illiterate and the
ignorant. I shall not live with it - I shal live despite it.

Marestail and samphire are fine. If you want to be specifically
precise, use the proper language, which is Latin.

Proper?

--
Rusty

Horse/Marestail Sacha United Kingdom 20 25-08-2007 07:48 AM
horsetail/marestail/whocarestail shazzbat United Kingdom 1 08-09-2003 03:42 PM