Old 05-03-2010, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Is it possible to have too many worms?

Under and around the rim of my "Dalek"(plastic compost bin) there are
reddish worms trying to escape.
I introduced these worms I had remaining after a fishing trip last summer,
dendrobaena I think.
Forgive me for my ignorance but have I created an environment that they
don't like?
All that is in the bin is organic refuse from the garden and kitchen, and
no cooked stuff.

Sorry about this but I have more questions for you later when I understand
and absorb these basic questions I have already asked you all

Thanks again
Marq
Old 05-03-2010, 07:34 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marq View Post
Under and around the rim of my "Dalek"(plastic compost bin) there are
reddish worms trying to escape.
I introduced these worms I had remaining after a fishing trip last summer,
dendrobaena I think.
Forgive me for my ignorance but have I created an environment that they
don't like?
All that is in the bin is organic refuse from the garden and kitchen, and
no cooked stuff.

Sorry about this but I have more questions for you later when I understand
and absorb these basic questions I have already asked you all

Thanks again
Marq
It may be that the compost is slightly too dry since brangling worms like a warm, damp atmosphere. Open the bin, dampen the surface, turn as much as you can, and knock the worms into the compost.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Marq;879212 Wrote:
Under and around the rim of my "Dalek"(plastic compost bin) there are
reddish worms trying to escape.
I introduced these worms I had remaining after a fishing trip last
summer,
dendrobaena I think.
Forgive me for my ignorance but have I created an environment that they

don't like?
All that is in the bin is organic refuse from the garden and kitchen,
and
no cooked stuff.

Sorry about this but I have more questions for you later when I
understand
and absorb these basic questions I have already asked you all

Thanks again
Marq

I have two "Dalek" type bins and when I lift the lids off there are always
a lot of earthworms around the rim, probably just a thing that worms do!!

Old 06-03-2010, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 6 Mar, 16:58, "David D" wrote:
Marq;879212 Wrote:
Under and around the rim of my "Dalek"(plastic compost bin) there are
reddish worms trying to escape.
I introduced these worms I had remaining after a fishing trip last
summer,
dendrobaena I think.
Forgive me for my ignorance but have I created an environment that they

don't like?
All that is in the bin is organic refuse from the garden and kitchen,
and
no cooked stuff.

Sorry about this but I have more questions for you later when I
understand
and absorb these basic questions I have already asked you all

Thanks again
Marq

I have two "Dalek" *type bins and when I lift the lids off there are always
a lot of earthworms around the rim, probably just a thing that worms do!!- Hide quoted text -

Would you want to sleep in your food?
Give them a break, let them rest, they will go back when they want
more food.
david Hill