Old 07-03-2010, 07:26 PM
Registered User

Default feeding the soil

Hi All Just turned over the plot today snow just cleared 2 days ago and I am amazed at the lack of worms although robin found plenty other things to eat any way last year was pretty hopeless crop wise PH is fine how do I test for nutrients or should I use a general fertilizer
Mac
Old 07-03-2010, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Devlin" wrote

Hi All Just turned over the plot today snow just cleared 2 days ago and
I am amazed at the lack of worms although robin found plenty other
things to eat any way last year was pretty hopeless crop wise PH is fine
how do I test for nutrients or should I use a general fertilizer

There are test kits available but you can also send off samples of your soil
for a professional test, one of our allotment holders does. If I see him
I'll ask where he sends it.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 08-03-2010, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Devlin wrote:
Hi All Just turned over the plot today snow just cleared 2 days ago and
I am amazed at the lack of worms although robin found plenty other
things to eat any way last year was pretty hopeless crop wise PH is fine
how do I test for nutrients or should I use a general fertilizer

What went wrong crop wise? It is quite unusual for everything to fail.
Where abouts are you and did anything show signs of yellowing ?

Last year sweetcorn did particularly well, but outdoor tomatoes didn't
enjoy the cold wet summer we had in the north. Everything else was
somewhere in between. But weather in the south east was seriously
different and grass turned brown for lack of water.

I'd be inclined to use a general fertiliser and add a load of well
rotted compost to the soil and see what this year brings.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Critical Feeding V Organics, Microbes & better Soil Management VickyN Gardening 17 06-07-2011 06:13 AM
Feeding spent container soil to compost worms Frank Gardening 3 29-12-2007 07:10 PM
Feeding the soil Mike Gardening 6 01-07-2004 09:02 AM
[IBC] Schefflera arboricola soil/feeding (newbie) Carl L Rosner Bonsai 0 06-09-2003 06:42 PM
Schefflera arboricola soil/feeding (newbie) Jamie Schnapp Bonsai 0 05-09-2003 10:12 PM