Old 11-03-2010, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Any good garden centers in New York USA

I am due to go on holiday to New York, USA.

Does anybody known of any good garden centres, that are easily
accessible and not too far away from New York that sell a good range
of top fruit and nut trees.

Also any good gardens or orchards that are open to the public to
visit.

Any website address's please.

I have googled, but cannot find anything that is easily accessible by
bus routes etc from New York.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , gray
writes
I am due to go on holiday to New York, USA.

Does anybody known of any good garden centres, that are easily
accessible and not too far away from New York that sell a good range
of top fruit and nut trees.

Also any good gardens or orchards that are open to the public to
visit.

Any website address's please.

I have googled, but cannot find anything that is easily accessible by
bus routes etc from New York.

New York State or City? Where exactly will you be staying?
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 11-03-2010, 08:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

New York State or City? Where exactly will you be staying?

Oops forgot they named it twice.

As with every other tourist we will be staying in Manhattan.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"gray" wrote in message
New York State or City? Where exactly will you be staying?

Oops forgot they named it twice.

As with every other tourist we will be staying in Manhattan.

I am curious to know how you are going to get a tree home!!!

Mike

--
Base for a Botanic visit to the Isle of Wight?
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 11-03-2010, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/11/2010 09:35 PM, gray wrote:
New York State or City? Where exactly will you be staying?

Oops forgot they named it twice.

As with every other tourist we will be staying in Manhattan.

Having been born and raised in Manhattan I am somewhat surprised to see
that there are several nurseries listed. You can find them by googling
"plant nursery manhattan ny".

However I think you'll find it worth remembering that the city consists
of 5 boroughs. You'll probably have more luck in Brooklyn (e.g. the
Gowanus Nursery) or Staten Island (e.g. Wiesner Brothers).

Not the place I'd think of to look for plants, but you never know.

While you're there I'd highly recommend a visit to the botanical
gardens, and also the cloisters.

-E

Old 11-03-2010, 09:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

No you cannot bring anything home with you, with customs and all that.

But its always interesting to see how other people run garden centres,
and to checkout varieties.

Besides which the wife wants to go see the sights, and I am not to
bothered. So I will do what I want to do (hopefully).

Old 12-03-2010, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

gray wrote:
I am due to go on holiday to New York, USA.

Does anybody known of any good garden centres, that are easily
accessible and not too far away from New York that sell a good range
of top fruit and nut trees.

Also any good gardens or orchards that are open to the public to
visit.

Any website address's please.

I have googled, but cannot find anything that is easily accessible by
bus routes etc from New York.

Why?

You can't bring any plants or seeds back.

Legally.

--
Rusty