Old 24-03-2010, 08:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Bob is offline

Default planting young trees

I'm in town next door to a site about to be developed so I've had a
gardener put in some trees to make a screen. I believe the trees are
paper birch.

I'm sure he's very competent and seems to have made a thorough and
elaborate job of supporting the trees - about 5m tall, 5-7 cms in
diameter but between the two visits he made to finish the job he's
been inconsistent in his advice on watering.

Of course, I take it as axiomatic that watering is critical while the
trees work to establish themsleves. On this he says -

It's nigh-on impossible to over-water the trees. There will be no
risk to their health if I give them more than they need during this
first growing year.

On his first visit he recommended one watering can per tree every 2
weeks. The can he pointed to was approx 8 litres. On his second
visit he recommended 30 litres per tree per week which is almost an
8-fold increase in dosage.

Is their a reliable concensus on these two issues; quantities and risk
of overwatering?

Thanks for any input..
Old 24-03-2010, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , bob says...
[...]

The advice that it would be hard to overwater the trees is correct. but I
would forget about using a watering can! the trees might only need that
much water but where they need it is deep down around the root area so a
lot of water infrequently (say once a fortnight) is much better than
little and often so that it can soak down

--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 24-03-2010, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-03-24 12:25:27 +0000, Charlie Pridham
said:

In article , bob says...
[...]

Could be where the old pipe in the ground next to the tree would help. *
Sink the pipe almost level with the ground and stick the hosepipe down
it when watering. *If you live in Devon, don't bother - Nature is doing
it all for you.....!
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs & perennials. Tender & exotics.

Many years ago, my next door neighbour worked for the Forestry
Commision and his advice to me with new trees was:- if it is dull and
wet, give the trees the occasional extra bucket of water while it is
raining, and if it is sunny and dry, water them only in the early
evening but give them 3 or 4 bucketfuls each day. Dont tip the water
near where the tree meets the ground, but over a much wider radius.

I assume that this was to encourage the roots to spread outwards more
quickly and thus give the tree a better chance of survival.
Old 24-03-2010, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

.. If you live in Devon, don't bother - Nature is doing
it all for you.....!
--
Sacha

Unless ........

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20100322/...d-dba1618.html

--
Base for a Botanic visit to the Isle of Wight?
www.shanklinmanormews.co.uk

Old 24-03-2010, 06:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Bob is offline

- many thanks for everyones' replies. I can see - given the absence
of risk of overwatering - that the issue is just making sure the water
goes deep enough. To this end, rather than using the bucket, I'll do
a long slow watering with the hose.

Cheers!