Old 13-04-2010, 09:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Name my weed

wrote in message
Bill Grey wrote:
Why not Google the suggestions given by the posters to this group. That
will give you the answer.

I did, and have posted that I did, and have thanked those concerned for
their suggestions.

Glad you got a result.

Where I walk my dog each day, theyre are loads of these flowers out now,
also Wood Anemones. The wild garlic is getting on fine as well.

Bill

Old 13-04-2010, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 23:48:31 +0100, "Christina Websell"

In message , Martin
writes
On Mon, 12 Apr 2010 22:26:20 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"sutartsorric" wrote in message
On 12 Apr, 20:21, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

On 2010-04-11 15:39:20 +0100, said:

Sacha wrote:
Can anyone point me at what it is, please?
Celandine?

Hmm, I was about to say no after a google, where the flowers look
right
but
the leaves don't, but this one has the right leaves:

http://pinguicula.typepad.com/photos.../04/02/0204200...

But

this, which claims to be the same thing (unless what I have seen is
younger version?) looks totally different:

http://www.botanical.com/botanical/m...celles44-l.jpg

Anyhow. Yes, I think you're right, thankyou.

There's Lesser and Greater Celandine, IIRC, so maybe that makes a
difference.
--

I once saw a Greater Celandine plant away in the countryside and
introduced

You are not alone, I did the same thing with a Greater Willowherb with
similar results as it spreads under the soil and now appears
everywhere.

Ah, but your willowherb will attract hawk moths to breed on it so keep
it.
My greater celandine is useless. Unless someone comes along and says
"this
is an important plant for this sort of butterfly or moth" I'm afraid I
will
pull up every plant I have - the fecking thing is everywhere now.

You can make soup with it?
http://www.eatweeds.co.uk/lesser-celandine-recipe

NOTE THE COMMENT
"It should be stressed that Lesser Celandine becomes poisonous as it
matures, so
do not pick it once it starts to flower. Only ever use young leaves."

Note that Christina says that she's growing *greater*, not lesser
celandine. Given that greater celandine is in the poppy family I would
expect that it is poisonous.
--

And it is. They will have to be pulled up, all of them. Seems a shame, but
I only had one and now there are hundreds of the little blighters

Make sure you get up all the little bulbils or whatever they are. That
is how they spread around.

Pam in Bristol

On 2010-04-11 15:39:20 +0100, said:

Sacha wrote:
[...]

Is this another confusion of the two celandines? I thought it was the
lesser celandine (only) that produced bulbils.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 13-04-2010, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message

Make sure you get up all the little bulbils or whatever they are. That
is how they spread around.

Greater Celandine does not seem to have bulbils - they seem to spread by
seed.
This weekend I'll have to send all but one to the great compost heap in the
sky.
And yes, I know by keeping one it will all happen again but they are not an
unattractive wild plant so I will keep just the one and not let it get out
of control (she says, ambitiously..)
Tina

Old 14-04-2010, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 18:11:24 +0100, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

Make sure you get up all the little bulbils or whatever they are. That
is how they spread around.

Pam in Bristol

Is this another confusion of the two celandines? I thought it was the
lesser celandine (only) that produced bulbils.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Tina's original post said that she has "Bulbous bits on the roots".
That is my recollection of dealing with greater celandine. These
little white bits break off and unless you get rid of them they will
grow next year.
These flowers are a beautiful sight in sunshine at the moment, so
perhaps all those of us with enough space can let a few have a place.
They ARE poisonous, btw.

Pam in Bristol

Old 14-04-2010, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Janet Baraclough wrote:
Tina's original post said that she has "Bulbous bits on the roots".

Nope. The OP, , said their plant had
bulbous bits; and it was correctly identified as lesser celandine.

I do answer to just 'vicky', if that's easier. ;-)

Old 15-04-2010, 09:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rob Rob is offline

On 13 apr, 21:29, "Christina Websell"
wrote:
"Martin" wrote in message

wrote:

On 2010-04-11 15:39:20 +0100,
said:

Sacha wrote:
[...]

bulbils it is.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...pping.gardens1

"Q Hi Dan, how can I get rid of masses of lesser celandines that are
infesting
many areas of my garden in between plants? Is hand weeding the only way?
Colin Dixon, Dorset

A Hand weeding is an option, but celandines leave behind tiny bulbils and
they
seed like stink in heavy ground. However, celandines are up early in the
season,
and go into dormancy early, so I tend to leave them where perennials are
man
enough to cope, as they do little harm in the long run. Smaller plants and
alpines will get overwhelmed, however, so where this is a problem I
suggest you
dig out your treasures in early spring, clean the roots thoroughly and
hold in
clean ground. Spray the offending bed with Roundup (glyphosate). This is
the
safest of the weed killers as it is deactivated once it touches bare soil.
You
may need to do this twice to get any seedlings, but the best path is
always the
one of least resistance and I urge you to see them for what they are -
harbingers of spring."

Let's run this past you all again.
GREATER CELANDINE is what I have.
Lesser Celandine is a completely different plant and they are not related..http://search.orange.co.uk/all?q=les...=ouk&tab=pictu...
andhttp://search.orange.co.uk/mediaredirect?sv=pictures&src=google_image...
of *Greater Celandine ,&picname=Invasive Species
Weblog&picweight=101kb&fullsize=http://www.knottybits.com/isw/GreaterCelandineForBlog.jpg&pagefrom=ht...
*- invasive species weblog&pge=1&pos=8&size=&imtype=- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -

This thread raises an interesting weed-identification issue:
most gardeners want to be able to identify weeds as early as possible
in their development, which normally means BEFORE flowers have formed.
However, most systems (books and websites) rely on flowers for
identification.
That is why I have an old Min. of Ag. pamphlet for farmers to identify
weeds very early in their fields (cotyledon sketches).
I can also recommend the Roger Philips "Weeds" book, which I found
secondhand.
Any other hints ?
PS. This morning I took a digi-photo of what I now know to be Greater
chelidonium, meaning to try and identify it on the Internet.
This Forum really does work ! !
Old 15-04-2010, 10:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rob" wrote in message

snip
This thread raises an interesting weed-identification issue:
most gardeners want to be able to identify weeds as early as possible
in their development, which normally means BEFORE flowers have formed.
However, most systems (books and websites) rely on flowers for
identification.
/snip

One of my best wild flower books is "the Wild Flower Key" by Francis Rose
(Frederick Warne 1981) which features a useful vegetative key to identify
plants not in flower. An updated edition is still in print (try Amazon).

R.

On 2010-04-11 15:39:20 +0100,

related.http://search.orange.co.uk/all?q=les...&brand=ouk&tab
[...]

I've been training myself up on the local flora, and I've now got to the
point that I can recognise a fair number of plants from the habit and
foliage, including both celandines. However if you don't want to take a
couple of years, there is a recently published Vegetative Key to the
British Flora.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Vegetative-K.../dp/0956014402

I don't know from personal experience whether it's any good, but it's
getting positive results.

[While looking for this on the web, I found a thread on the 3rd edition
of Stace's New Flora of the British Isles - in addition to sinking
Lavatera into Malva, which I knew was coming from the grapevine,
apparently the name Ficaria verna has been adopted for lesser celandine.
I hadn't previously encountered any reason for chopping up the
buttercups, but now I find a paper having the celandines less closely
related to the buttercups and crowfoots than is mousetail (Myosurus).]

Old 15-04-2010, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Martin wrote:
I do answer to just 'vicky', if that's easier. ;-)

Is that the Vicky with the dinky byte marks )

Damned mosquitos!

Old 15-04-2010, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes
On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 01:46:11 -0700 (PDT), Rob wrote:

This thread raises an interesting weed-identification issue:
most gardeners want to be able to identify weeds as early as possible
in their development, which normally means BEFORE flowers have formed.
However, most systems (books and websites) rely on flowers for
identification.
That is why I have an old Min. of Ag. pamphlet for farmers to identify
weeds very early in their fields (cotyledon sketches).
I can also recommend the Roger Philips "Weeds" book, which I found
secondhand.
Any other hints ?

I found this
http://weedid.aces.uiuc.edu/

Indiana (University of Indiana at Urbana-Champaign) has a different
flora from Britain. Of there 172 weeds, perhaps 30 can be found here,
and a fair number of them are under different names.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 15-04-2010, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Ragnar wrote:

"Rob" wrote in message

This thread raises an interesting weed-identification issue:
most gardeners want to be able to identify weeds as early as possible
in their development, which normally means BEFORE flowers have formed.
However, most systems (books and websites) rely on flowers for
identification.

One of my best wild flower books is "the Wild Flower Key" by Francis Rose
(Frederick Warne 1981) which features a useful vegetative key to identify
plants not in flower. An updated edition is still in print (try Amazon).

Back in the days before punched cards were associated with International
Business Machines, Incorporated, they were used for that purpose. You
had some special ones, pushed knitting needles through, and picked out
the cards that matched.

Some 25 years back, I was slightly involved with an attempt to revive
Rothamsted's then 25-year old diagnostic key program (Genkey). It
wasn't the fact that it had been converted to Fortran 66 and its
style showed its earlier ancestry that was the problem, but the fact
that its interface was SO very 1950s!

It would be trivial to write a fairly decent search program, given
availability of suitable data. It would also be trivial to turn the
very hierarchical classifications in various books into a suitable
form for searching by any combination of keys. And even to have
the program prompt with other keys to look for to disambiguate the
plant in hand.

But the problem is getting the data in an accessible form :-(

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.