Old 11-04-2010, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Name my weed

Been weeding my aunt's garden, and she has a lot of a particular weed - it's
got kind of ivy shaped leaves, shallow roots (sometimes with a bulbous bit
of the root, which I guess is where it's going to multiply from) and an
occasional yellow flower that looks familiar (and slightly similar to a
dandelion, but less petally, and smaller).

Can anyone point me at what it is, please?
Ta.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-04-11 14:06:04 +0100, said:

Been weeding my aunt's garden, and she has a lot of a particular weed - it's
got kind of ivy shaped leaves, shallow roots (sometimes with a bulbous bit
of the root, which I guess is where it's going to multiply from) and an
occasional yellow flower that looks familiar (and slightly similar to a
dandelion, but less petally, and smaller).

Can anyone point me at what it is, please?
Ta.

Celandine?

My thoughts also.

Pam in Bristol
Old 11-04-2010, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Sacha wrote:
Can anyone point me at what it is, please?

Celandine?

Hmm, I was about to say no after a google, where the flowers look right but
the leaves don't, but this one has the right leaves:

http://pinguicula.typepad.com/photos...734_0041er.jpg

But this, which claims to be the same thing (unless what I have seen is a
younger version?) looks totally different:

http://www.botanical.com/botanical/m...celles44-l.jpg

Anyhow. Yes, I think you're right, thankyou.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

Sacha wrote:

There's Lesser and Greater Celandine, IIRC, so maybe that makes a difference.

With the lesser being a member of the buttercup family, while the
greater is in the poppy family and therefore entirely unrelated.
'Common names' are misleading and cause so much confusion, they should
all be banned ;-)
Old 11-04-2010, 08:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message ,
writes
Sacha wrote:
Can anyone point me at what it is, please?

Celandine?

Hmm, I was about to say no after a google, where the flowers look right but
the leaves don't, but this one has the right leaves:

http://pinguicula.typepad.com/photos.../02/02042007_1
30734_0041er.jpg

That's lesser celandine (Ranunculus ficaria), which I what I took your
description to refer to. (It's not particularly dandelion-like, except
in the way that Japanese anemones have similar flowers to Cosmos, but I
think I can see what you're seeing as a resemblance.)

But this, which claims to be the same thing (unless what I have seen is a
younger version?) looks totally different:

http://www.botanical.com/botanical/m...celles44-l.jpg

That's greater celandine (Chelidonium majus), which is in a different
family (Papaveraceae or poppy family, as opposed to Ranunculaceae or
buttercup family).

Anyhow. Yes, I think you're right, thankyou.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 11-04-2010, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
That's lesser celandine (Ranunculus ficaria), which I what I took your
description to refer to. (It's not particularly dandelion-like, except
in the way that Japanese anemones have similar flowers to Cosmos, but I
think I can see what you're seeing as a resemblance.)

It's yellow and on a stalk. ;-)

It's similar to how I differentiate between types of car.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-04-11 15:39:20 +0100, said:

Sacha wrote:
Can anyone point me at what it is, please?
Celandine?

Hmm, I was about to say no after a google, where the flowers look right
but
the leaves don't, but this one has the right leaves:

http://pinguicula.typepad.com/photos...734_0041er.jpg

But

this, which claims to be the same thing (unless what I have seen is a
younger version?) looks totally different:

http://www.botanical.com/botanical/m...celles44-l.jpg

Anyhow. Yes, I think you're right, thankyou.

There's Lesser and Greater Celandine, IIRC, so maybe that makes a
difference.
--

I once saw a Greater Celandine plant away in the countryside and introduced
it to my own garden as I like a wild look.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12 Apr, 20:21, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

http://pinguicula.typepad.com/photos.../04/02/0204200....

But

this, which claims to be the same thing (unless what I have seen is a
younger version?) looks totally different:

http://www.botanical.com/botanical/m...celles44-l.jpg

Anyhow. *Yes, I think you're right, thankyou.

There's Lesser and Greater Celandine, IIRC, so maybe that makes a
difference.
--

I once saw a Greater Celandine plant away in the countryside and introduced
it to my own garden as I like a wild look.
Big mistake, can't seem to get rid of it now. *It's everywhere.
Ah, well, we live and learn.
Seemed like a good idea at the time.
Tina

You are not alone, I did the same thing with a Greater Willowherb with
similar results as it spreads under the soil and now appears
everywhere.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On 2010-04-11 15:39:20 +0100, said:

Sacha wrote:
[...]

Ah, but your willowherb will attract hawk moths to breed on it so keep it.
My greater celandine is useless. Unless someone comes along and says "this
is an important plant for this sort of butterfly or moth" I'm afraid I will
pull up every plant I have - the fecking thing is everywhere now.

Old 12-04-2010, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes

wrote:

On 2010-04-11 15:39:20 +0100, said:

Sacha wrote:
[...]

You can make soup with it?
http://www.eatweeds.co.uk/lesser-celandine-recipe

NOTE THE COMMENT
"It should be stressed that Lesser Celandine becomes poisonous as it
matures, so
do not pick it once it starts to flower. Only ever use young leaves."

Note that Christina says that she's growing *greater*, not lesser
celandine. Given that greater celandine is in the poppy family I would
expect that it is poisonous.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 12-04-2010, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Been weeding my aunt's garden, and she has a lot of a particular weed -
it's
got kind of ivy shaped leaves, shallow roots (sometimes with a bulbous bit
of the root, which I guess is where it's going to multiply from) and an
occasional yellow flower that looks familiar (and slightly similar to a
dandelion, but less petally, and smaller).

Can anyone point me at what it is, please?
Ta.

--

Why not Google the suggestions given by the posters to this group. That
will give you the answer.

Bill

Old 12-04-2010, 11:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Been weeding my aunt's garden, and she has a lot of a particular weed -
it's
got kind of ivy shaped leaves, shallow roots (sometimes with a bulbous bit
of the root, which I guess is where it's going to multiply from) and an
occasional yellow flower that looks familiar (and slightly similar to a
dandelion, but less petally, and smaller).

Can anyone point me at what it is, please?
Ta.

--

Just in case no-one has mentioed it, have a look at:-

http://www.floralimages.co.uk/pranunficar.htm

Regards

Bill

Old 12-04-2010, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Bill Grey wrote:
Why not Google the suggestions given by the posters to this group. That
will give you the answer.

I did, and have posted that I did, and have thanked those concerned for
their suggestions.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On 2010-04-11 15:39:20 +0100, said:

Sacha wrote:
[...]

No, it's Greater Celandine I have. Even the orange sap is poisonous.
http://www.swsbm.com/Images/Images_C.html

On 2010-04-11 15:39:20 +0100, said:

Sacha wrote:
[...]

And it is. They will have to be pulled up, all of them. Seems a shame, but
I only had one and now there are hundreds of the little blighters
everywhere, I don't think they are of any wildlife use so it's the compost
heap. I do hate doing this but I just have to gird my loins ;-)
Remind me not to introduce a wild plant I saw and thought looked nice into
my garden again.
Tina