Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23-04-2010, 08:39 PM
Registered User

Default New to gardens/forum, needing some practical solutions

Hi all, firstly, Im new to this forum and its the onlly and first forum I have signed up to.. I am also new to gardens, as I used to always live in flats, but got my first house, with a massive corner garden... honestly its like a football pitch.

Ive lived here for a cauple of years now and Ive slowly been waiting on fencing being pulled down and new fencing being put up etc.
Finally my garden is now free from these section fences, which used to split it into 3 parts.... one area was used to grow veg and more recently, light bonfires... the second was used to cultivate brambles for jam.. the bramble bush had got soo out of hand you could have easily stored a car underneath it and I did actually find various car parts beneath them... and lastly the third part was the main area where the last owner used to just hang the washing out....
This garden has not been touched in 30 + years (apart from when it was used to grow veg in it... there is still a rhubarb patch struggling to survive from od knows when, its over 5 years old atleast ) , it is all grass/weeds/nettles/brambles/weeds etc the ground is solid and extremely uneven with dips and lumps all over it....

There are several small trees 9 i have no idea what kind they are, but the smallest is very old and thorny and about 15 foot i think... while the biggest is made up of serveral smooth barked plain trunks and stands a good 20ft maybe) along the back fence, which were heavily covered in the "out of control" brambles, i have however since cut most of the brambles out of the trees, and only one is left with dead bramble remains to high for me to reach.

Now you have a rough back ground of the garden Im faced with, onto my problem......

I really want a garden i can enjoy and Im really eager to get out there and make something of it, but due to its sheer size I cant afford to do anything grande enough that will look good in a big garden and it just overwhelms me basically, I have no idea where to start or what i could do with this garden.

Its a blank canvas, so I can do pretty much anything with it and plan it out from scratch, but I honestly dont know what to do with it and where to start, plus lack of funds makes the options even smaller.

So could you all please give me some brain storms of what you would do if you had a big garden and could start from scratch on a budget.
whether its little things I could do in the corners, along the fencing, or dedicate an area to a theme... ahh I really dont know

All advice, opinions, suggestions, anything, its all welcomed and maybe it will give me some great ideas I hadnt thought about

thank you in advance
Lupin