Old 25-04-2010, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Potatoes?

About a week ago I planted some seed potatoes, which had started to sprout,
but there is no sign of any growth yet, am I being too impatient?

How long should they take before showing growth above the ground?

Alan

Old 25-04-2010, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"alan.holmes" wrote ...

About a week ago I planted some seed potatoes, which had started to
sprout, but there is no sign of any growth yet, am I being too impatient?

How long should they take before showing growth above the ground?

Yes you are being a bit too impatient, can take a few weeks before they
show.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 25-04-2010, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Bob Hobden wrote:
"alan.holmes" wrote ...

About a week ago I planted some seed potatoes, which had started to
sprout, but there is no sign of any growth yet, am I being too
impatient? How long should they take before showing growth above the
ground?

Yes you are being a bit too impatient, can take a few weeks before
they show.

I planted mine about a month ago and not a dickie bird. I'm beginning to
think they're not going to emerge

Ian

Old 25-04-2010, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"alan.holmes" wrote ...

About a week ago I planted some seed potatoes, which had started to
sprout, but there is no sign of any growth yet, am I being too impatient?

How long should they take before showing growth above the ground?

Yes you are being a bit too impatient, can take a few weeks before they
show.

Thanks, I did wonder if I was expecting too much, I'll just have to wait!

Alan

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 25-04-2010, 05:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"alan.holmes" wrote in
:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"alan.holmes" wrote ...

About a week ago I planted some seed potatoes, which had started to
sprout, but there is no sign of any growth yet, am I being too
impatient?

How long should they take before showing growth above the ground?

Yes you are being a bit too impatient, can take a few weeks before
they show.

Thanks, I did wonder if I was expecting too much, I'll just have to
wait!

Alan

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK

Potatoes are the Number1 that can be reliable, they WILL grow.
They will take longer if not chitted though.
We planted ours in March center and they are growing some here some there
in the rows we set them. Each day we see more small sprouts of gaps filled.
Ours are covered at night we sowed them too early and they took weeks to
reveal and as I said they are still starting to show in places we thought
were dead.
Be patient if you can I know patience is not on trees but they will grow.
When they show up give them regular water becouse they are ravenous to fill
the spud. And when flowers appear you should nip them off to stop them
putting there energy into flowers but into the spud.

PtePike

Old 25-04-2010, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

alan.holmes wrote:
About a week ago I planted some seed potatoes, which had started to sprout,
but there is no sign of any growth yet, am I being too impatient?

Yes.

How long should they take before showing growth above the ground?

Depends on warmth and moisture. My pink fir apple (not strictly a
potato, mind) have grown arond an inch during the last week. They are in
a big plastic tub, in full sun by day, with a sheet of glass over them,
and in the greenhouse by night.

--
Rusty
Old 25-04-2010, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ian B wrote:
Bob Hobden wrote:
"alan.holmes" wrote ...
About a week ago I planted some seed potatoes, which had started to
sprout, but there is no sign of any growth yet, am I being too
impatient? How long should they take before showing growth above the
ground?

Yes you are being a bit too impatient, can take a few weeks before
they show.

I planted mine about a month ago and not a dickie bird. I'm beginning to
think they're not going to emerge

Unless you planted them very deep, IMO you planted them much too early.

--
Rusty
Old 25-04-2010, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Rusty Hinge wrote:
Ian B wrote:
Bob Hobden wrote:
"alan.holmes" wrote ...
About a week ago I planted some seed potatoes, which had started to
sprout, but there is no sign of any growth yet, am I being too
impatient? How long should they take before showing growth above
the ground?

Yes you are being a bit too impatient, can take a few weeks before
they show.

I planted mine about a month ago and not a dickie bird. I'm
beginning to think they're not going to emerge

Unless you planted them very deep, IMO you planted them much too
early.

I think you might be right.

Ian

Old 26-04-2010, 01:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Rusty Hinge wrote:
I planted mine about a month ago and not a dickie bird. I'm beginning to
think they're not going to emerge

Unless you planted them very deep, IMO you planted them much too early.

Ours have been in for over a month, and are now poking a few inches out and
looking about ready to be covered over ...
Old 26-04-2010, 01:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

PtePike wrote:
When they show up give them regular water becouse they are ravenous to fill
the spud. And when flowers appear you should nip them off to stop them
putting there energy into flowers but into the spud.

Ooh, I've never heard to nip the flower before. Do people normally bother?

Old 26-04-2010, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

David in Normandy wrote:
Ooh, I've never heard to nip the flower before. Do people normally bother?

I don't bother. Based on the size of the small green seed 'pods' I don't
think they take that much energy away from the spud. Besides it sounds
quite a faff nipping them off.

That's what I was thinking, there are generally so many flowers! And
they're pretty, and it helps me spot the different varieties, too. :-)

Old 26-04-2010, 09:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Rusty Hinge wrote:
Depends on warmth and moisture. My pink fir apple (not strictly a
potato, mind)

I've never seen pink fir apple described as anything but a potato until
recently on here. What are they, then?
Old 26-04-2010, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-04-26 01:23:38 +0100, said:

PtePike wrote:
When they show up give them regular water becouse they are ravenous
to fill the spud. And when flowers appear you should nip them off to
stop them putting there energy into flowers but into the spud.

Ooh, I've never heard to nip the flower before. Do people normally
bother?

I doubt farmers do - talk about labour intensive!

Farmers dont do it.
The flowers often grow tomato like poisonous fruits taking energy from the
potato, so if you have not too many plants it is easy and quick to do.
This year I will leave a few plants alone and compare.

PtePike

Old 26-04-2010, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ian B wrote:
Rusty Hinge wrote:
Ian B wrote:
Bob Hobden wrote:
"alan.holmes" wrote ...
About a week ago I planted some seed potatoes, which had started
to sprout, but there is no sign of any growth yet, am I being too
impatient? How long should they take before showing growth above
the ground?

Yes you are being a bit too impatient, can take a few weeks before
they show.

I planted mine about a month ago and not a dickie bird. I'm
beginning to think they're not going to emerge

Unless you planted them very deep, IMO you planted them much too
early.

I think you might be right.

....but then I look today, and five shoots have just broken cover!

Yay

Ian