Old 26-04-2010, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default compost bin

does it work best in sun or shade?

come to think of it, better or not, in the shade it goes

only a small garden

shame to waste any sun on a compost bin

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Old 26-04-2010, 11:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/04/2010 12:27, Gill Smith wrote:
does it work best in sun or shade?

come to think of it, better or not, in the shade it goes

only a small garden

shame to waste any sun on a compost bin

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Compost rots down faster in the sun.
Mine get red hot on sunny days with fresh compost in - literally steaming.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 26-04-2010, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David in Normandy" wrote in message
. fr...
On 26/04/2010 12:27, Gill Smith wrote:
does it work best in sun or shade?

come to think of it, better or not, in the shade it goes

only a small garden

shame to waste any sun on a compost bin

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Compost rots down faster in the sun.
Mine get red hot on sunny days with fresh compost in - literally steaming.

did you buy a special Compost Bin

or cut a hole in the bottom of something?

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Old 26-04-2010, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gill Smith" wrote in message
news
does it work best in sun or shade?

come to think of it, better or not, in the shade it goes

only a small garden

shame to waste any sun on a compost bin

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

If it's only a small garden, as ours is, make it attractive. Well it is in
our eyes :-))

http://www.myalbum.com/Album=OQFDHPQP

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.

Old 26-04-2010, 12:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
news

"Gill Smith" wrote in message
news
does it work best in sun or shade?

come to think of it, better or not, in the shade it goes

only a small garden

shame to waste any sun on a compost bin

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

If it's only a small garden, as ours is, make it attractive. Well it is in
our eyes :-))

cool!

is it shop-bought or did you make it yourself?

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Old 26-04-2010, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Gill Smith" wrote in message
o.uk...
"'Mike'" wrote in message
news

"Gill Smith" wrote in message
news
does it work best in sun or shade?

come to think of it, better or not, in the shade it goes

only a small garden

shame to waste any sun on a compost bin

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

If it's only a small garden, as ours is, make it attractive. Well it is
in our eyes :-))

cool!

is it shop-bought or did you make it yourself?

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Made it myself. We have had the plastic Daleks and didn't like then either
to look at or how they worked. Our garden is only small as you see, but is
divided up into 'gardens', much to one person's amusement, and different
themes incorporated into them. The compost bin is very important and easy to
work. When we open to the public the first reaction as they come round the
corner of the house is "Aaahhhhh" :-))

Only tiny http://www.myalbum.com/Album=BWT4G78H

If you want dimensions and instructions on that compost bin, let me know and
I will set out the details and take some closer photos.

Mike
NOT the gardener. That's her outdoors ;-)

Today, is the tomorrow, you were worrying about, yesterday.

Old 26-04-2010, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/04/2010 12:55, Gill Smith wrote:
"David in wrote in message
. fr...
On 26/04/2010 12:27, Gill Smith wrote:
does it work best in sun or shade?

come to think of it, better or not, in the shade it goes

only a small garden

shame to waste any sun on a compost bin

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Compost rots down faster in the sun.
Mine get red hot on sunny days with fresh compost in - literally steaming.

did you buy a special Compost Bin

or cut a hole in the bottom of something?

Just the standard black plastic bins, no bottom and wider at the bottom
than top. Not the most elegant of things to look at but for the veg plot
it doesn't really matter. They work a treat.

Old 26-04-2010, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

You might be able to get a bin free or at a subsidised price from your
local council.
David Hill
Old 26-04-2010, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"Gill Smith" wrote in message
o.uk...
"'Mike'" wrote in message
news

"Gill Smith" wrote in message
news does it work best in sun or shade?

[...]

yes please

there's a load of house conversions going around here

I might be able to get the timber out of skips

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Old 26-04-2010, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message

You might be able to get a bin free or at a subsidised price from your
local council.

they sell a Dalek-thingy at a reduced price

I'm wondering about the efficacy

if composting is aerobic, will plastic walls let sufficient air in?

--
http://www.gillsmith999.plus.com/

Old 26-04-2010, 01:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/04/2010 14:23, Dave Hill wrote:

You might be able to get a bin free or at a subsidised price from your
local council.
David Hill

That's how I got mine. Brought them to France with me!

Old 26-04-2010, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/04/2010 14:48, Gill Smith wrote:
"Dave wrote in message

You might be able to get a bin free or at a subsidised price from your
local council.

they sell a Dalek-thingy at a reduced price

I'm wondering about the efficacy

if composting is aerobic, will plastic walls let sufficient air in?

Enough air seems to get in from the bottom somehow, but I place mine on
top of loosely dug soil anyway and change the position of the bin
frequently so the ground doesn't become too acid. Potatoes thrive in
such ground but not brassicas.

Old 26-04-2010, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 14:53:57 +0200, David in Normandy
wrote:

On 26/04/2010 14:23, Dave Hill wrote:

You might be able to get a bin free or at a subsidised price from your
local council.
David Hill

That's how I got mine. Brought them to France with me!

Did you have a suitable EU bin transfer license? No doubt the council
compost bin retrieval team is on its way to France at this very
moment.

Steve

EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus. www.easynn.com
SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Networks. www.swingnn.com
JustNN. Just Neural Networks. www.justnn.com
Old 26-04-2010, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On 26/04/2010 14:23, Dave Hill wrote:

You might be able to get a bin free or at a subsidised price from your
local council.
David Hill

That's how I got mine. Brought them to France with me!

Did you have a suitable EU bin transfer license? No doubt the council
compost bin retrieval team is on its way to France at this very
moment.

I wouldn't put it past the rotters ;-) they would probably have made
more of a stink about it if I'd brought them over full though.

Old 26-04-2010, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On 26/04/2010 14:23, Dave Hill wrote:

You might be able to get a bin free or at a subsidised price from your
local council.
David Hill

That's how I got mine. Brought them to France with me!

Did you have a suitable EU bin transfer license? No doubt the council
compost bin retrieval team is on its way to France at this very
moment.

I wouldn't put it past the rotters ;-) they would probably have made
more of a stink about it if I'd brought them over full though.

There will be some regulation about the transfer of compost between EU
countries. You would probably have needed to attach a yellow tracking
label to every kilo of compost. Farmers have to label all their
produce even if it stays in the same country.