Old 29-04-2003, 08:44 AM
hodge

Default LargeTree Near House

Hi

Can anybody help.

My neighbour has a conifer that has now got rather big and is very close to
my kitchen extension.

His okay and approachable but I would like to know if there are any
laws/rules that govern how close a tree should be to an existing building
before I approach him about it.

Thanks in advance.

Hodge

Old 29-04-2003, 02:20 PM
Peter

My neighbour has a conifer that has now got rather big and is very close
my kitchen extension.

His okay and approachable but I would like to know if there are any
laws/rules that govern how close a tree should be to an existing building
before I approach him about it.

Thanks in advance.

Hodge

I just had the same problem with a conifer in my neighbours front garden.

There is a problem if you have clay soil, as it may cause the soil to
dehydrate and shrink, causing subsidence.You need to put something in
writing to your neighbour asking them to have the tree removed. If you do
this and they do not remove the tree, you should be able to reclaim the
£1000 excess, that normally exists on subsidence claims, should there be
damage to your property.

If there is no damage now, learn from my mistake. I spoke to my neighbour
twice about the tree in the last 7 years. My bay window has dropped, there
is damage to the party wall, the floor has cracked and it has cost me £1000
for the excess on the insurance.

Peter.

---

Old 29-04-2003, 08:22 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Peter
writes

I just had the same problem with a conifer in my neighbours front garden.

There is a problem if you have clay soil, as it may cause the soil to
dehydrate and shrink, causing subsidence.You need to put something in
writing to your neighbour asking them to have the tree removed. If you do
this and they do not remove the tree, you should be able to reclaim the
£1000 excess, that normally exists on subsidence claims, should there be
damage to your property.

If there is no damage now, learn from my mistake. I spoke to my neighbour
twice about the tree in the last 7 years. My bay window has dropped, there
is damage to the party wall, the floor has cracked and it has cost me £1000
for the excess on the insurance.

So what happens if you do this, and the neighbour removes it, and you
get heave (conifer no longer taking water, soil becomes wetter and
swells, causing damage to foundations). You wouldn't have a claim
against him since he merely did as you asked, and presumably the
insurance company wouldn't be too keen to cough up either?

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 30-04-2003, 09:09 AM
Peter

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Peter
writes

[...]

I think you have to consider when the building was constructed, what type of
tree and when the tree was planted. Also, what type of soil you have. Your
insurance company may give you advice on the matter.

Peter

---