Old 02-05-2010, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Euphorbia - Tall Spindly?

My euphorbia griffithii fireglow has spread and sent up shoots spaced about
a foot apart and now 2ft high and in flower. But in the recent rain,
because there is so much space between them, they have been knocked over.

It is supposed to be a bushy plant. Can anyone suggest what might be wrong?

DAvy
Old 03-05-2010, 10:38 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy[_2_] View Post
My euphorbia griffithii fireglow has spread and sent up shoots spaced about
a foot apart and now 2ft high and in flower. But in the recent rain,
because there is so much space between them, they have been knocked over.

It is supposed to be a bushy plant. Can anyone suggest what might be wrong?

DAvy
It isn't bushy in the sense of lots of branching. But I'd expect the shoots to be more densely packed than that. How long have you had it? Could it be that it's just looking for more fertile soil? In which case, a good mulch could help.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Kay,

Was planted in Spring 2009.
Nothing special about the soil; other euphorbia (but different varieties)
growing multiple stems from one base. Very puzzling

DAvy

kay wrote in news:kay.65487a6
@gardenbanter.co.uk:

;885979']My euphorbia griffithii fireglow has spread and sent up

Old 05-05-2010, 04:52 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Davy[_2_
;

Was planted in Spring 2009.
Nothing special about the soil; other euphorbia (but different varieties)
growing multiple stems from one base. Very puzzling

[/i][/color]
Different Euphorbias have different growths habits. I've found griffithsii to be rather spreading - it aims to colonise as much ground as possible and so sends up stems at a distance, rather like wood spurge in that respect, whereas eg characias, mellifera rely on becoming quite big bushes in one space. I wonder whether it's because griffithsii dies down over winter? Mellifera gets big and is less likely to be overshadowed by anything else, whereas griffithsii has to start afresh each year.

Spindly Nemesias M United Kingdom 2 21-07-2006 07:33 PM
helping a sickly, spindly Clematis peter Gardening 4 11-07-2003 11:56 PM
spindly camellias and rhododendrons David Marion North Carolina 0 01-05-2003 05:34 PM
spindly seedlings videotron Gardening 26 19-03-2003 06:56 AM