Old 05-05-2010, 07:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Plant id plea

We went to the allotment today by a different route to the usual, and on the
way we spotted this plant in a roadside ditch. We haven't seen it there in
previous years. What is it?

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...f/05May001.jpg

--
Steve

Never shake the ketchup bottle. None'll come, and then a lot'll

Old 05-05-2010, 08:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 5 May 2010 19:53:48 +0100, "shazzbat"
wrote:

We went to the allotment today by a different route to the usual, and on the
way we spotted this plant in a roadside ditch. We haven't seen it there in
previous years. What is it?

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...f/05May001.jpg

It's almost a lettuce

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)
Old 05-05-2010, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:
We went to the allotment today by a different route to the usual, and on the
way we spotted this plant in a roadside ditch. We haven't seen it there in
previous years. *What is it?

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...20stuff/05May0...

It's almost a lettuce

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© *© *²°¹° .·´¯)

Skunk cabbage
http://www.english-country-garden.co...nk-cabbage.htm

David Hill
Old 05-05-2010, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/05/2010 20:53, shazzbat wrote:
We went to the allotment today by a different route to the usual, and on
the way we spotted this plant in a roadside ditch. We haven't seen it
there in previous years. What is it?

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...f/05May001.jpg

It looks very healthy.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2010-05-05 19:53:48 +0100, "shazzbat"
said:

We went to the allotment today by a different route to the usual, and
on the way we spotted this plant in a roadside ditch. We haven't seen
it there in previous years. What is it?

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...stuff/05May001
.jpg

Skunk cabbage - very handsome.

The BSBI (http://www.bsbi.org.uk) might be interested.

That's the yellow, western or American skunk cabbage, Lysichiton
americanum. There's also a northeast Asian species with white spathes.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 06-05-2010, 09:20 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Robert Hinsley View Post
In message , Sacha
writes
On 2010-05-05 19:53:48 +0100, "shazzbat"
said:

We went to the allotment today by a different route to the usual, and
on the way we spotted this plant in a roadside ditch. We haven't seen
it there in previous years. What is it?

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...stuff/05May001
.jpg

Skunk cabbage - very handsome.

The BSBI (BSBI) might be interested.

That's the yellow, western or American skunk cabbage, Lysichiton
americanum. There's also a northeast Asian species with white spathes.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
It's appeared in our nature reserve this year. Any idea whether it's a harmless garden escape or something invasive we should be worrying about?
Old 06-05-2010, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , kay
writes

In message , Sacha
writes-
On 2010-05-05 19:53:48 +0100, "shazzbat"
-

http://tinyurl.com/35m6zyp

The BSBI ('BSBI' (http://www.bsbi.org.uk)) might be interested.

That's the yellow, western or American skunk cabbage, Lysichiton
americanum. There's also a northeast Asian species with white spathes.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

It's appeared in our nature reserve this year. Any idea whether it's a
harmless garden escape or something invasive we should be worrying
about?

Google Lysichiton invasive site:uk

There are a number of official looking pages listing it as invasive, but
I haven't found one that says how bad it is.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 07-05-2010, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-05-05 19:53:48 +0100, "shazzbat"
said:
-
[...]

I was given one about seven years ago as a gift that a friend bought for me
at a garden centre. It lives in my main pond and has large leaves and
flowers but doesn't seem to occur in my other pond or in any of the
neighbouring streams, so maybe it's not all that invasive.

someone

Old 07-05-2010, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wrote in ...

On 2010-05-05 19:53:48 +0100, "shazzbat"
said:
-
[...]

someone- Hide quoted text -

I think the reason it is classed as invasive is because the seeds wash
down strean and grow where they settle.
David Hill
Old 07-05-2010, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-05-05 19:53:48 +0100, "shazzbat"
said:
-
[...]

Ah, that explains it then: I have only a couple of smallish ponds in my
garden, and the nearest streams are 1/4 mile away.

My biggest invasive problem was ground elder, until I discovered I could eat
it...

someone

[IBC] A Plea to Commercial Growers [email protected] Bonsai 5 07-01-2004 06:43 PM
A plea from the froggies groovy Ponds 6 04-09-2003 02:02 AM
[IBC] A plea (read; RANT) from the listowner Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 15-05-2003 11:44 PM
Desparate plea for A.P.shindeshojo or deshojo seeds or seedlings or young plants in the uk dgdgdg Bonsai 0 15-05-2003 01:44 PM
OT, slightly odd but very genuine plea for help Paul Meech United Kingdom 6 30-11-2002 08:48 PM