Old 08-05-2010, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New allotment

I take on my new allotment as from today. It's being rotorvated this
morning, and I hope to start planting out over the week-end.
However, it's late in the season, and am I too late to plant onion sets?

Peter

--
He spoke with a certain what-is-it in his voice, and I
could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far
Old 08-05-2010, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Peter
James writes
I take on my new allotment as from today. It's being rotorvated this
morning, and I hope to start planting out over the week-end.
However, it's late in the season, and am I too late to plant onion sets?

Peter

jealous

I'm around 150th on the local allotments list.

--
Mike Buckley
RD350LC2
Old 08-05-2010, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mike Buckley wrote:

In message , Peter
James writes
I take on my new allotment as from today. It's being rotorvated this
morning, and I hope to start planting out over the week-end.
However, it's late in the season, and am I too late to plant onion sets?

Peter

jealous

I'm around 150th on the local allotments list.

Come to Cornwall. There's 4 sites not allocated at the moment.

Peter
Old 08-05-2010, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Peter James wrote:
I take on my new allotment as from today. It's being rotorvated this
morning, and I hope to start planting out over the week-end.
However, it's late in the season, and am I too late to plant onion sets?

I'd go with the "give it a go and see". And you can pick them up a lot
cheaper than earlier in the season now!

Old 08-05-2010, 04:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Peter
James writes
Mike Buckley wrote:

In message , Peter
James writes
I take on my new allotment as from today. It's being rotorvated this
morning, and I hope to start planting out over the week-end.
However, it's late in the season, and am I too late to plant onion sets?

Peter

jealous

I'm around 150th on the local allotments list.

Come to Cornwall. There's 4 sites not allocated at the moment.

Peter

In the whole of the county? :-)

There's a possible chance of some that are fairly close to me, but it's
a new field and only temporary for a couple of years, no water either
from what I can make out, so not that tempted. Every time I've been it's
been locked up with nobody working.

--
Mike Buckley
RD350LC2

Old 08-05-2010, 08:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Peter James" wrote in message
news:1ji66qc.13722ntu1ji2oN%pfjames2000@googlemail .com...
I take on my new allotment as from today. It's being rotorvated this
morning, and I hope to start planting out over the week-end.
However, it's late in the season, and am I too late to plant onion sets?

Peter

--
He spoke with a certain what-is-it in his voice, and I
could see that, if not actually disgruntled, he was far
from being gruntled.
P.G. Wodehouse 1881 -1975

Well if you don't plant 'em you certainly won't get any onions!

Bill

Old 09-05-2010, 12:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Bill Grey wrote:
I take on my new allotment as from today. It's being rotorvated this
morning, and I hope to start planting out over the week-end.
However, it's late in the season, and am I too late to plant onion sets?

Well if you don't plant 'em you certainly won't get any onions!

Well, I suppose he could keep them till September and put them in for
overwintering. Apparently they are less susceptible to white rot if you do
that, but it didn't help mine much last year.