Old 21-05-2010, 02:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default bonus packet of seeds

I sowed a packet of sunflower seeds, they have now germinated and I find
that there a number of tomato seedling`s amongst them, they are all doing
well so I will grow them on and look forward to see what grows :-)

kate

Old 21-05-2010, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Kate Morgan wrote:
I sowed a packet of sunflower seeds, they have now germinated and I find
that there a number of tomato seedling`s amongst them, they are all doing
well so I will grow them on and look forward to see what grows :-)

What did you sow them in? I'm suspecting the compost rather than the packet
of seeds is the culprit. Sunflower and tomato seeds are rather different,
they'd be easy to spot!
Old 21-05-2010, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Kate Morgan wrote:
I sowed a packet of sunflower seeds, they have now germinated and I find
that there a number of tomato seedling`s amongst them, they are all doing
well so I will grow them on and look forward to see what grows :-)

What did you sow them in? I'm suspecting the compost rather than the
packet
of seeds is the culprit. Sunflower and tomato seeds are rather different,
they'd be easy to spot!

Yes I agree the seeds look nothing like each other so I should have noticed
so it could well be the compost, it was some left over from last year, I
grew several sorts of toms last year so whatever I get will be bonus :-)

cheers
kate

Old 21-05-2010, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Kate Morgan wrote:
Yes I agree the seeds look nothing like each other so I should have noticed
so it could well be the compost, it was some left over from last year, I
grew several sorts of toms last year so whatever I get will be bonus :-)

I have some 'surprise' tomatoes which were growing in a pot that had had
tomatoes from last year drop into it. I've transplanted them and they are
doing well. (I think, if they're the ones I think they are! Amusingly
labelled "unknown")

I know which plant the tomatoes dropped from, unfortunately we had a bit of
a mix-up last year and I don't know which plant was which! But the fruit
were small-medium, quite an intense red, and the plant was bushy. They
weren't a bad tasting fruit, but because they were an Accidental Bush (hmm,
sounds like some kind of folksy band album) they were quite hard to get to
to harvest (hence some droppage)

Old 21-05-2010, 08:42 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate Morgan View Post
I sowed a packet of sunflower seeds, they have now germinated and I find
that there a number of tomato seedling`s amongst them, they are all doing
well so I will grow them on and look forward to see what grows :-)

kate
What compost did you grow them in? Stray seedlings are as likely to come from the compost as from the seed packet.

Old 21-05-2010, 10:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"kay" wrote in message

Kate Morgan;887926 Wrote:
I sowed a packet of sunflower seeds, they have now germinated and I find

that there a number of tomato seedling`s amongst them, they are all
doing
well so I will grow them on and look forward to see what grows :-)

kate

What compost did you grow them in? Stray seedlings are as likely to come
from the compost as from the seed packet.

It was a bag left over from last year so anything could have got in it,
going to be interesting to see what sort of toms they are :-)

kate