Old 15-12-2003, 06:03 PM
Alan Holmes

Default It said on the packet -

Sow late Oct - Nov, which I did, but the plants are about 3 inches high
now, will they suffer through the winter?

BTW the seeds are Broad Beans Aquadulce!

Alan

Old 15-12-2003, 08:10 PM
shazzbat

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

Sow late Oct - Nov, which I did, but the plants are about 3 inches high
now, will they suffer through the winter?

BTW the seeds are Broad Beans Aquadulce!

Alan

On my packet of aquadulce it said they are frost hardy. This is I believe
one of the most commonly autumn-sown varieties. They should be OK.

Steve

Old 15-12-2003, 09:34 PM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

Sow late Oct - Nov, which I did, but the plants are about 3 inches high
now, will they suffer through the winter?

BTW the seeds are Broad Beans Aquadulce!

Shouldn't come to any harm - they're meant to overwinter, and hardening
them like that is supposed to give some protection against blackfly.

--
Rusty Hinge http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm

Dark thoughts about the Wumpus concerto played with piano,
iron bar and two sledge hammers. (Wumpus, 15/11/03)
Old 15-12-2003, 10:05 PM
martin

On Mon, 15 Dec 2003 20:17:56 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

Sow late Oct - Nov, which I did, but the plants are about 3 inches high
now, will they suffer through the winter?

BTW the seeds are Broad Beans Aquadulce!

Shouldn't come to any harm - they're meant to overwinter, and hardening
them like that is supposed to give some protection against blackfly.

but it seems only other day, that we were told that if one ignores
blackfly they disappear completely.
--
Martin
Old 16-12-2003, 12:09 AM
David Hill

We always used to Autumn sow Broad beans when I lived and worked in the
Hastings area in my youth, and that was in the days when winters were
winters, Long, hard frosts and plenty of snow, and the beans would just
laugh at it. never lost more than about 3 or 4 %. We used to hand plant
around half an acre, and were on loam over clay.
This used to give us crops that were around 2 weeks earlier

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 16-12-2003, 01:13 AM
Jaques d'Alltrades

The message
from martin contains these words:

but it seems only other day, that we were told that if one ignores
blackfly they disappear completely.

Only in the dark.

Old 16-12-2003, 11:32 AM
martin

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 00:19:16 GMT, Jaques d'Alltrades
wrote:

The message
from martin contains these words:

but it seems only other day, that we were told that if one ignores
blackfly they disappear completely.

Only in the dark.

so that's her secret :-)
--
Martin
Old 16-12-2003, 05:32 PM
Bob Hobden

"Alan wrote in message ...

Sow late Oct - Nov, which I did, but the plants are about 3 inches high
now, will they suffer through the winter?

BTW the seeds are Broad Beans Aquadulce!

It's just about the hardiest Broad Bean but we found when planted in
autumn/early winter we lost a number during the coldest months and we are in
the soft South!. Of course it could have been the quite wide temp.
variations we get that did the damage.
To overcome this we got to planting them at the end of Jan so they only
started to grow as the weather improved which worked well and I don't think
it held back cropping at all.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars
348 data units completed.

Old 16-12-2003, 07:13 PM
Rod

Alan Holmes wrote:

Sow late Oct - Nov, which I did, but the plants are about 3 inches high
now, will they suffer through the winter?

BTW the seeds are Broad Beans Aquadulce!

Alan

That's a bit more advanced than I prefer but you might be OK if frosts aren't too
hard. I sow mid/late Nov and expect them to start showing just before or soon
after Christmas - Newly emerged seedlings seem to be much hardier than more
advanced ones. I learned this when watching the response of self sown beans to
frost compared with the November sown ones.
--
Rod
http://website.lineone.net/%7Erodcraddock/index.html