Old 05-06-2010, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Germination :-)

I have given up with seeds at the allotment because:

(1) It is so dry and dusty that conditions are not ideal.

(2) Couch grass and thistles are growing up through everything - presumably
bits were churned in nicely when the council rotovated the plot before
offering it to us.

So - I found a plug tray with a base in the shed and sowed some seeds last
week.

Cos lettuce, chinese lettuce (from Lidl), rocket and perpetual spinach.

Things started germinating yesterday and today you can almost watch them
grow.
The only things not showing so far are the Cos lettuce.

Hopefully I will have some nice big plugs to transplant in a couple of weeks
:-)

Everything seems to be struggling to establish there.
One problem is the constant wind - which may be why so many allotments have
half-pallet fences around them.

At least we have some warm weather and some rain tomorrow to water
everything.

Cheers

Dave R

Old 06-06-2010, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
[...]

Dry and dusty? Where are you? Down in t'south I presume.
Yesterday it was pretty hot, but in true British tradition we had a
thunderstorm in the evening which was still romping around this morning so
my garden is more than well watered today
It's started raining again as we speak. I'm in Leicestershire.

Tina

Old 06-06-2010, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 16:50:08 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

[...]

We had light rain all day on Monday last. On Weds I went to my
allotment and you would not know there had been any rain. I can
sympathise with "dry and dusty". I wouldn't plant any seeds at the
moment. Young plants have to be well soaked on and after planting.

Pam in Bristol
Old 06-06-2010, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

[...]

Coastal Suffolk - the soil is light and the site is windy and until last
week we were very short of rain.
Today has been tropical - very muggy after the rain lat night.
There is probably more on the way judging by the radar.

The soil is very promising - light soil is easy to work and should grow
plants well.
It is just the germination of seeds that seeems to be a problem at the
moment.
I expect if I planted more seeds now they would do much better but I think
for this year I will keep tilling and weeding until I have established
plants to plant out then transplant and hope for the best.

At least the onion sets seem to be doing O.K. :-)

Cheers

Dave R

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

Old 06-06-2010, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
We had light rain all day on Monday last. On Weds I went to my

allotment and you would not know there had been any rain. I can
sympathise with "dry and dusty". I wouldn't plant any seeds at the
moment. Young plants have to be well soaked on and after planting.

I will send you my thunderstorms, light rain it isn't.

Pam in Bristol