Old 11-06-2010, 10:52 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Buckley View Post

We found a fan useless in the last one, so this time have gone for the
more expensive option of roof openers. Also gone for an electric heater
rather than a house rad, mainly for convenience but also because there
are some regs involved putting rads in a conservatory.
There's regs involved in putting electrics into a conservatory too! I seem to remember that it revolves around whether it's in effect 'inside' or 'outside' the house. If you treat it as an outside add-on, then you have to obey the building regs for electrical supplies in places like porches and so on. If you put radiators in it, then it's part of the house, not an add on, and there's a separate set of regs re insulation and energy conservation, I think. And the door between conservatory and house comes into it too - whether it's an inside or outside door.

Is this about right? it's a long time ago I was reading it.

We were OK because we were simply replacing an existing porch. By extending the porch by a couple of feet, and putting the steps up to the backdoor outside the porch rather than (as they were) inside, we gained a lot of space, and now have a sort of mini-conservatory with room for a couple of chairs and a table. In winter it's too cold to sit in, and in summer it's too hot (but then we sit outside), but in spring and autumn we have most of our meals out there.
Old 13-06-2010, 11:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default The virtues of a conservatory in a British Summer.

Muddymike wrote:
"Donwill" wrote in message
External Temp 12.4deg C and strong Northerly wind.
Conservatory (no heating) Temp 18.6deg C.
One of the best things we added to the house last Autumn.

We made the big mistake of building one at the last house, under
our bedroom window.

Rain falling on the roof - deafening!

My conservatory also has a twinwall plastic roof, and, strangely
perhaps, I find that sound comforting. It reminds me of Australian and
African c.i. roofs -- maybe that's where the comforting bit comes from:
it's agreeable in the highest degree to know that one's indoors away
from that kind of rain.

--
Mike.

Old 14-06-2010, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Mike Lyle wrote:
Rain falling on the roof - deafening!

My conservatory also has a twinwall plastic roof, and, strangely
perhaps, I find that sound comforting. It reminds me of Australian and
African c.i. roofs -- maybe that's where the comforting bit comes from:
it's agreeable in the highest degree to know that one's indoors away
from that kind of rain.

I have to admit, as I read the thread about 'deafening' sound of rain, I did
get a yearning to build a conservatory just so I can sit in it and listen on
the rare occasions it actually bothers to rain these days.

In heavy rain it's nice standing in the greenhouse, although it tends to be
a little damp! (the auto-opening windows never close quite enough to keep
the rain out)