Old 15-06-2010, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Broken heart

PtePike wrote:
Ironically I responded to a post a couple of days ago about sowing potatoes
late in the season, saying how a friend managed to overcome. Well sadly I
can't find any seed potatoes and they are my love.

Email me with your address, I will post you some tomorrow.

Old 15-06-2010, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"PtePike" wrote in message
wrote in
:

PtePike wrote:
My brand new allotment has been double alloted.

You may find this useful if you haven't looked at it already

http://www.opsi.gov.uk/RevisedStatut...kpga_19220051_
en_1#l1g1

Well we have come to a compromise this morning.
Not ideal but things dont always turn out gold.
When I was offered the allotment in Feb, acouple of days later I recieved
in the post a warning that my plot was not cultivated etc:
I rang the council and was told to ignore the letter as the inspector on
his visit did nt know I was a new tennant.So I ignored it as advised.
At the same time a school had also taken tennancy of the same plot as a
clerical error...bizarre!
We have had a meeting at the plot with the manager of alloting allotments
with his office assistant and she was so upset and apologetic with what
has
happened.
The long and the short of it is that I have a new plot and the school
keeps
my old one.
Today or tomorrow morning I am told that a gang of council gardeners will
plant me up (god knows what with) and a load or 2 of manure for next
season.
I have to say the only reason I backed off is because of the office lass
who made the mistake an not the official from the school who is brash and
bad mannered.
If that school "teacher" had been around in February and March to see how
much my family and friends put into that plot I think he should be
ashamed.

End of..it's done now and a move on for us.

Glad it's all worked out fairly well for you. The "planting up" could be
interesting - do you like begonias of the type councils tend to plant on
roundabouts?

The teacher sounds a right prat, and he/she and his/her ilk [and cr*p from
on high] are what made me give up on teaching after 23 years.

Happy lotting to you and the little PtePike's.

--
Kathy

Old 15-06-2010, 04:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"PtePike" wrote

[...]

At least you can get on with gardening now.
One thing, if that teacher is in charge of their plot it will probably be a
disaster as he sounds the sort that will not ask for help because he knows
it all. Like anyone knows it all!
Going to be difficult helping the children without helping him though.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 15-06-2010, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

At least you can get on with gardening now.
One thing, if that teacher is in charge of their plot it will probably be
a disaster as he sounds the sort that will not ask for help because he
knows it all. Like anyone knows it all!
Going to be difficult helping the children without helping him though.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK

Interesting thread. Glad things got sorted.
I have to say, in my limited experience, the camaradery on allotments is
something I thought had died out.
Allotmenteers are great people.
--

Pete C
London. UK.

Old 15-06-2010, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "Ian B" contains these
words:

The point stands regardless, this is land "alloted", hence the name,
by the State; that's why there's a waiting list and council
bureaucrats etc
to deal
with; as with any other state provision, you get what you're given,
or can beg, cajole, etc, out of those bureaucrats.

When in a hole stop digging.

Far from meaning "allotted by the state", the term"allotment" goes
back many centuries to
medieval strip farming. Each year the commoners ( locals entitled
to use shared communal land for their own food production ) drew lots
among themselves , for which strip each family cultivated that year..
Their draw in the lot determined their section for cultivation that
year. Hence, "allotment" .

With all due respect Janet, allotments have nothing to do with mediaeval
strip farming, which was abolished long ago. They were a Victorian
invention, and reluctant councils were obligated by act of Parliament to
provide them. As with most Victorian social movements, the intention was
some kind of improvement of public morals; if you're out growing veggies
you're not in the pub drinking the demon rum, kind of thing. Of course the
appropriate strategy is to spend one's day hard at work on the allotment,
then retire to the pub for a well earned pint.

Modern allotments, are mostly managed and organised by their
allotment association (the gardeners themselves)

The land we're discussing here belongs to and is allotted by the Council,
hence PtePike's problem when the Council allotted his allotment to somebody
else without warning.

Ian

Old 16-06-2010, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I'd say hearty congratulations to you for rolling your sleeves up and
getting on with making the best of a bad job. I hope you get enough
from this new allotment now to vindicate your stickability.

Thankyou all for your replies and also your understanding.

The council workers arrived this morning with loads of plants, seeds and
most wonderful of all seed potatoes enough for 4 rows! they are Golden
Wonder, so thats 4 rows 8.5m (width of allotment is 10m but a path here
and there reduces planting area).
The foreman has spread the others over the entire plot to allow for crop
rotation.
Did you know that the swede is a brassica? I didnt.
Anyway the list is,

Cabbage: Golden Acre. plant. 24, Savoy (Brussels Winter). plant. 24.

Cauliflower: Snowball. plant. 24.

Brussels Sprouts: Not known. plant. 48.

Broccoli: Celebrese. plant. 24.

Swede: Brora seed. 1 to 2 row.

Beetroot: Boltardy seed. one row.

Broad bean: unknown seed. one double row.

Leek: unknown sets. one row.

Pea: unknown seed. one double row.

Rhubarb: Glaskins Perpetual. 5 crown.

The tomatoes are not planted as I have so many at home, as are parsnips and
carrots.

So are we lucky to have such an outcome.
We will see over the comming months, but I am thrilled at the response from
both the council and the guys they sent to us to start over again.

I just thank God that now we are a long way from that teachers allotment,
its only 100 yards or so but that 100 yards in the right direction.

Thanks again
PtePike(and family)
Old 16-06-2010, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Janet Tweedy wrote:
It's a
great time to pick up bargains when you forget to sow your own or you are
hit by a late frost or other disaster!

Like a blasted pigeon flying into the greenhouse and knocking down about
14 trays of just about to be hardened off stuff such as tomatoes,
lettuce, beans etc. etc.!

Arrrgh! :-(
I have small children, so I try to avoid anything being placed anywhere it
could get knocked off, as it inevitably will. But now everything is on the
floor and in danger of small feet trampling them instead!

Most fell so quickly that they broke the stems or just got bashed so I'm
resowing and hoping things will catch up/

:-(

Speaking of pigeons - I keep getting pigeons landing on the greenhouse roof
whilst I'm in it! They don't half get a fright when I move!
Old 16-06-2010, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16 June, 13:28, PtePike wrote:
So are we lucky to have such an outcome.
We will see over the comming months, but I am thrilled at the response from *
both the council and the guys they sent to us to start over again.

With so many tales of council incompetence flying around it is good to
hear of one trying to hard to put something right, and so effectively
too.

I reckon they deserve some good publiicity out of this - what
council was it?
Old 16-06-2010, 05:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"PtePike" wrote
[...]

Well they cocked up but apologised in the correct manner by putting it as
right as they can, well done to them.
48 Sprout plants, you going to supply Sainsbury's? :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 16-06-2010, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

Well they cocked up but apologised in the correct manner by putting it
as right as they can, well done to them.
48 Sprout plants, you going to supply Sainsbury's? :-)

And Asda too I was thinking to myself.
Old 16-06-2010, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/06/10 21:47, PtePike wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

Well they cocked up but apologised in the correct manner by putting it
as right as they can, well done to them.
48 Sprout plants, you going to supply Sainsbury's? :-)

And Asda too I was thinking to myself.

and maybe the school meals service?
Old 16-06-2010, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Janet Baraclough
writes
Their draw in the lot determined their section for cultivation that
year. Hence, "allotment" .

Modern allotments, are mostly managed and organised by their
allotment association (the gardeners themselves)

Janet

Can you imagine it happening nowadays when every year you get a draw for
which garden you will have for the coming 12 months!!
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 16-06-2010, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Bob Hobden
writes
Well they cocked up but apologised in the correct manner by putting it
as right as they can, well done to them.
48 Sprout plants, you going to supply Sainsbury's? :-)

Some of us love sprouts and broccoli and 48 would only just see us
through the winter!!

Old 16-06-2010, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote
Bob Hobden writes
Well they cocked up but apologised in the correct manner by putting it
as right as they can, well done to them.
48 Sprout plants, you going to supply Sainsbury's? :-)

Some of us love sprouts and broccoli and 48 would only just see us
through the winter!!

And all this time I thought it was the drains. :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Heart O' Gold Shiva Roses 0 11-06-2003 04:20 PM
Bleeding Heart The Olsons Gardening 1 28-05-2003 02:32 AM
Purple Heart Companions mypet Gardening 0 21-04-2003 02:32 PM
[IBC] Heart tree Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 5 02-04-2003 04:20 PM
? Trumpet vine and Bleeding Heart & starting early - TakeThisOut Gardening 1 23-02-2003 04:39 PM