Old 16-06-2010, 11:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Broken heart

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Janet Tweedy" wrote
Bob Hobden writes
Well they cocked up but apologised in the correct manner by putting
it as right as they can, well done to them.
48 Sprout plants, you going to supply Sainsbury's? :-)

Some of us love sprouts and broccoli and 48 would only just see us
through the winter!!

And all this time I thought it was the drains. :-)

Avoid that embarrassment as follows: blanch the unnecessary little
buggers for three minutes in really boiling water. Drain. Toss in butter
for two minutes. Serve with grated nutmeg. Not bad. (Actually, shredded
very finely and served raw as a salad with thin slices of orange they're
surprisingly pleasant, and of course don't smell at all.)

Any resemblance between Brussels sprouts and broccoli is diseased
fantasy: broc is delicious.

--
Mike.

Old 17-06-2010, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Tweedy wrote in
:

In article , Bob Hobden
writes
Well they cocked up but apologised in the correct manner by putting it
as right as they can, well done to them.
48 Sprout plants, you going to supply Sainsbury's? :-)

Some of us love sprouts and broccoli and 48 would only just see us
through the winter!!

The allotment is still only just over half planted and another few dozen
brassiccas would not go amis, we have a large family and if you think about
a cabbage per week per household I would need 250 at least.
Its a ballance only time will tell.
Is it true that too many is ok but not enough is not enough and have to buy
from supermarkets?
A family near our new plot has 3 rows of garlic and still has to buy in.

Watering all these however is a headache, no hosepipe allowed and my
nearest tap is about 100m away. So we fil up containers and put them in the
car, but the car must be taken to the car park later(there are no cars
allowed to park on the "walkways").

It seems that some (most)holders break the rules and hose at or just before
dusk.

What do you all do or are you allowed to take the hosepipe?

Regards
PtePike
Old 17-06-2010, 10:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

PtePike wrote:
Watering all these however is a headache, no hosepipe allowed

Huh, doesn't seem to be stopping people on ours now. :-(
Bloke on the next allotment even put his hose reel down on the leaf of one
of the pumpkin plants I'd just carried on over from the greenhouse. Grr.
Old 18-06-2010, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in
:

PtePike wrote:
Watering all these however is a headache, no hosepipe allowed

Huh, doesn't seem to be stopping people on ours now. :-(
Bloke on the next allotment even put his hose reel down on the leaf of
one of the pumpkin plants I'd just carried on over from the
greenhouse. Grr.

With all the natural pests we have who needs a human one?
I have noticed that when the hosepipe is a bit too short they pull it and
cross over other tennants plots not even bothered about the damage.
Surely handballing containers to water the crop is not expected of us.
On a plot as big as a standard allotment how do we do it?
Its ok for the tennants near a tap, but just how can the rest of us do it?

I have ordered a shed for our plot and will gutter it and install a water
butt, as many have done, but for now what? and the water butt will not be
enough?
This is my big question now as opposed to February when we took our
origional allotment it was always raining or snowing we never thought about
how we would water our crops.
Ok I never stop moaning, but valid question nontheless.
I sometimes wish that I had followed other people of my age and drank beer
smoked ciggies and watched football on the days off, but thats too easy and
expensive, and besides that I hate football and tobacco.

Good luck
PtePike
Old 18-06-2010, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 18 June, 20:03, "Kathy McIntosh" wrote:
"PtePike" wrote in message

wrote in
:

PtePike wrote:
[...]

I work for a charity shop. *Someone has donated a water carrier that you put
in your wheelbarrow, fill with water then push to where you want to water
and, water! *if it's still there on Monday I'll get the name for you.
gardening is one thing they said it was useful for.

Luckily, we have a trough and standpipe every three plots on our site, and
can also use hoses.

--
Kathy- Hide quoted text -

Mulches are OK, but in this hot dry weather water well so that the
water goes down below the root level so the roots follow it down, then
hoe the soil to break the capilary action that would cause the water
to syphon out again.
If you keep the soil surface hoed you will not only get rid of weeds
butwill preserve most of the moisture.
when sowing seed take out the drill, soak it well then sow the seed
and rake over the soil, firm it wel with the back of the rake and then
rake a little more soil over it lightly.
With large seed such as pear and beans soak overnight before planting.
When planting out try to do so in the evening then puddle the plants
in, just watering around the plant and not all the soil between the
plants, loosen the surface after watering.
If you water in the evening then the plants have all night to take in
water before the heat starts to dry things up.

Heart O' Gold Shiva Roses 0 11-06-2003 04:20 PM
Bleeding Heart The Olsons Gardening 1 28-05-2003 02:32 AM
Purple Heart Companions mypet Gardening 0 21-04-2003 02:32 PM
[IBC] Heart tree Billy M. Rhodes Bonsai 5 02-04-2003 04:20 PM
? Trumpet vine and Bleeding Heart & starting early - TakeThisOut Gardening 1 23-02-2003 04:39 PM