Old 23-06-2010, 08:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How to treat Mint plants

On 2010-06-22 21:49:01 +0100, "Bill Grey" said:

"David Rance" wrote in message
On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 john hamilton wrote:

My method of making mint sauce:

Gather enough leaves and the growing tips for your immediate purpose.
Chop
the leaves as finely as you can. Sprinkle some sugar (I use a small
teaspoonful) to help extract the juice. Leave for half an hour or so and
then add the vinegar. Don't dilute it!

Mint sauce won't keep well so make only enough for your immediate
purpose.

I've never tried this, but I've heard it told to make up a strong batch
of
mint sauce then put it into an ice-cube tray, then freeze. When needed,
take out a cube or two and add either vinegar or boiling water to suit.
I'm
not sure of the last bit but you can see the thinking behind the method.

Bill

You may not thank me for this but may I recommend rosemary jelly with
lamb? It's much more subtle as to flavour.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

I tend to agree, but mint sauce/is/ nice.

Bill

Old 23-06-2010, 09:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

You may not thank me for this but may I recommend rosemary jelly with
lamb? It's much more subtle as to flavour.

If you can get fresh Welsh lamb of the hill farms, as we can, you do not
need any compliment to improve/disguise the flavour!

Roger T

PS Perhaps I should define "fresh" as slaughtered then hung properly in
the abatoir for 2 or 3 days before butchering and being delivered.
Old 23-06-2010, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-06-23 09:30:52 +0100, anon-y-mouse said:

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

You may not thank me for this but may I recommend rosemary jelly with
lamb? It's much more subtle as to flavour.

If you can get fresh Welsh lamb of the hill farms, as we can, you do not
need any compliment to improve/disguise the flavour!

Roger T

PS Perhaps I should define "fresh" as slaughtered then hung properly in
the abatoir for 2 or 3 days before butchering and being delivered.

I'll be sure to tell our farmer/butcher that about his Dartmoor/South Hams
sheep. ;-) Actually, he's related to several farmers and friends with a
lot more, so the meat is wonderful. But I have to say that the best (and
most eye-wateringly expensive) I've ever had was at Mont St Michel where
they're grazed over the salt marshes. The French don't have too high an
opinion of British food anyway but they think mint sauce is total proof of
our culinary barbarism!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

It would be a bit difficult for Welsh hill farmers to graze their sheep on
salt marches, they use the term /Wesh/l amb to inflate the price and
pretend the meat tastes better.

I think I'll get my coat :-)

Bill

Old 01-07-2010, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bill Grey" wrote in message

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 12:11:48 +0100, "Ragnar"
wrote:

"john hamilton" wrote in message
I've got some mint growing in pots. The leaves seem quite big now, so
i'm
guessing now is a good time to cut them off?

My intention is to chop the leaves and put them in vinegar to make a
mint
sauce. I'm guessing that malt vinegar diluted with 50% water should be
o.k., do you think, or is that too watery ?

Also I'm wondering if its ok to cut all the stalks down or not? I
could
just pull the leaves off the stalks (since i'm only using the leaves)
and
leave the stalks and then plants might recover some nutrition back from
the stalks? Grateful for any advice on the best way to do it. Thanks.

I don't think you need any water but you should add some sugar.

R.

My Mum always used to pour a small amount of boiling water onto the
chopped mint and sugar, before adding the vinegar. I understood it
was to "green up" the mint.
I usually buy mint jelly these days!

Pam in Bristol

I'm wondering if the putting of boiling water on the mint in some way
'sterilized' it and enabled it to last longer. I would really like to make
a mint sauce that would keep for quite a while.

The jars of mint sauce I buy from waitrose keeps a long time in the fridge,
but it has something called a *stabiliser* in it..I dont know what that
might be exactly....salt?

Old 02-07-2010, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 1 Jul 2010 16:52:39 +0100, "john hamilton"
wrote:

I'm wondering if the putting of boiling water on the mint in some way
'sterilized' it and enabled it to last longer. I would really like to make
a mint sauce that would keep for quite a while.

The jars of mint sauce I buy from waitrose keeps a long time in the fridge,
but it has something called a *stabiliser* in it..I dont know what that
might be exactly....salt?

You could try making mint chutney. Or mint jam.
I made some tomato jam last year. It's interesting.
--
http://www.bra-and-pants.com
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

Old 02-07-2010, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

I'm wondering if the putting of boiling water on the mint in some way
'sterilized' it and enabled it to last longer. I would really like
to make a mint sauce that would keep for quite a while.

The jars of mint sauce I buy from waitrose keeps a long time in the
fridge, but it has something called a *stabiliser* in it..I dont
know what that might be exactly....salt?

You could try making mint chutney. Or mint jam.
I made some tomato jam last year. It's interesting.

You can freeze mint, as I think has already been suggested. Cooking
would inevitably destroy some of the flavour. A stabilizer would be
something to stop the sauce separating: people don't know how to shake a
bottle any more. Could be starch, gum, gelling stuff, pectin. (I've just
started experimenting with gelatin in home-made ice-cream, and the first
effort seemed promising.)

--
Mike.

Study finds monarch butterflies use medicinal plants to treat offspring Bill who putters Edible Gardening 7 13-10-2010 10:05 AM
Doug's mint - dougs-mint.jpg Ann Garden Photos 4 06-08-2007 05:44 PM
Mint plants MaxMustermann Gardening 2 06-12-2005 12:05 PM
diseased mint and basil plants Woody 58 United Kingdom 0 10-07-2004 04:06 PM
Mint plants craignw Edible Gardening 13 02-07-2003 01:44 PM