Old 19-06-2010, 11:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How to treat Mint plants

I've got some mint growing in pots. The leaves seem quite big now, so i'm
guessing now is a good time to cut them off?

My intention is to chop the leaves and put them in vinegar to make a mint
sauce. I'm guessing that malt vinegar diluted with 50% water should be o.k.,
do you think, or is that too watery ?

Also I'm wondering if its ok to cut all the stalks down or not? I could
just pull the leaves off the stalks (since i'm only using the leaves) and
leave the stalks and then plants might recover some nutrition back from the
stalks? Grateful for any advice on the best way to do it. Thanks.

Old 19-06-2010, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"john hamilton" wrote in message
I've got some mint growing in pots. The leaves seem quite big now, so i'm
guessing now is a good time to cut them off?

My intention is to chop the leaves and put them in vinegar to make a mint
sauce. I'm guessing that malt vinegar diluted with 50% water should be
o.k., do you think, or is that too watery ?

Also I'm wondering if its ok to cut all the stalks down or not? I could
just pull the leaves off the stalks (since i'm only using the leaves) and
leave the stalks and then plants might recover some nutrition back from
the stalks? Grateful for any advice on the best way to do it. Thanks.

I don't think you need any water but you should add some sugar.

Don't worry about the plants recovering. On the contrary you would find it
difficult to harm a mint plant which is the toughest plant I know and
practically a weed!

R.

Old 19-06-2010, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 john hamilton wrote:

I've got some mint growing in pots. The leaves seem quite big now, so i'm
guessing now is a good time to cut them off?

My intention is to chop the leaves and put them in vinegar to make a mint
sauce. I'm guessing that malt vinegar diluted with 50% water should be o.k.,
do you think, or is that too watery ?

My method of making mint sauce:

Gather enough leaves and the growing tips for your immediate purpose.
Chop the leaves as finely as you can. Sprinkle some sugar (I use a small
teaspoonful) to help extract the juice. Leave for half an hour or so and
then add the vinegar. Don't dilute it!

Mint sauce won't keep well so make only enough for your immediate
purpose.

Also I'm wondering if its ok to cut all the stalks down or not? I could
just pull the leaves off the stalks (since i'm only using the leaves) and
leave the stalks and then plants might recover some nutrition back from the
stalks?

If you've pinched the tops out then there will be new growth from the
nodes where leaves were/are growing. otherwise if you cut down the
stalks it will grow again from the base.

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 19-06-2010, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/06/2010 11:51, john hamilton wrote:

Also I'm wondering if its ok to cut all the stalks down or not? I could
just pull the leaves off the stalks (since i'm only using the leaves) and
leave the stalks and then plants might recover some nutrition back from the
stalks?

I would cut the stems right back, then you'll get new growth and a whole
crop of fresh new leaves for another harvest later. Can't help with the
culinary aspects though:-)

Old 19-06-2010, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On the contrary you would find it
difficult to harm a mint plant which is the toughest plant I know and
practically a weed!

I have been known to kill them in the past - but it takes real skill and
determination;-)

Old 19-06-2010, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 12:11:48 +0100, "Ragnar"
wrote:

"john hamilton" wrote in message
I've got some mint growing in pots. The leaves seem quite big now, so i'm
guessing now is a good time to cut them off?

My intention is to chop the leaves and put them in vinegar to make a mint
sauce. I'm guessing that malt vinegar diluted with 50% water should be
o.k., do you think, or is that too watery ?

Also I'm wondering if its ok to cut all the stalks down or not? I could
just pull the leaves off the stalks (since i'm only using the leaves) and
leave the stalks and then plants might recover some nutrition back from
the stalks? Grateful for any advice on the best way to do it. Thanks.

I don't think you need any water but you should add some sugar.

R.

My Mum always used to pour a small amount of boiling water onto the
chopped mint and sugar, before adding the vinegar. I understood it
was to "green up" the mint.
I usually buy mint jelly these days!

Pam in Bristol
Old 19-06-2010, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jill Bell" wrote in message
On the contrary you would find it
difficult to harm a mint plant which is the toughest plant I know and
practically a weed!

I have been known to kill them in the past - but it takes real skill and
determination;-)

I manage to do it.
Afraid of putting a mint plant into the ground to let it run away, I try to
grow it in pots. It dies every time (and yes, I do water it..)
Tina

Old 19-06-2010, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "john hamilton" contains these words:

I've got some mint growing in pots. The leaves seem quite big now, so i'm
guessing now is a good time to cut them off?

My intention is to chop the leaves and put them in vinegar to make a mint
sauce. I'm guessing that malt vinegar diluted with 50% water should be
o.k.,
do you think, or is that too watery ?

Also I'm wondering if its ok to cut all the stalks down or not? I could
just pull the leaves off the stalks (since i'm only using the leaves) and
leave the stalks and then plants might recover some nutrition back from the
stalks? Grateful for any advice on the best way to do it. Thanks.

Wife pinches off the top inch or two and uses it for mint tea, which she
claims is very refreshing!.

Just briefly rinse the leaves and the bit of stalk, the put into mug,
add boiling water and there you are - hold you nose, close your eyes and
sip very gently vbg.

As others have said, it is very difficult to kill mint!

Roger T
Old 19-06-2010, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

john hamilton wrote:
My intention is to chop the leaves and put them in vinegar to make a mint
sauce. I'm guessing that malt vinegar diluted with 50% water should be o.k.,
do you think, or is that too watery ?

I'd have thought soemthing lighter, a white or wine or cider vinegar.
But I guess it's a matter of taste and personal preference.

Also I'm wondering if its ok to cut all the stalks down or not? I could
just pull the leaves off the stalks (since i'm only using the leaves) and
leave the stalks and then plants might recover some nutrition back from the
stalks? Grateful for any advice on the best way to do it. Thanks.

I've found mint is impossible to kill, no matter how much of it I pull out
it still comes back as soon as I turn my back!

Old 19-06-2010, 09:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Jill Bell wrote:
I have been known to kill them in the past - but it takes real skill and
determination;-)

Can you come and visit my mint forest, please?

Old 20-06-2010, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

David in Normandy wrote:
It is very invasive. The best solution I've found is to grow it in an
old plastic bucket (with cracks/small holes in the bottom so it can
drain). The bucket isn't buried at all. There is always a plentiful
supply to pick.

Yeah, I think it was 'just planted' when we moved in. Never been able to
get rid of it. I got rid of it out of the original patch, but it's just
spread, including into the lawn.

We've finally managed to get rid of it from the herb border, but it has
been a chore, it comes back from the tiniest bit of root.

Bit like artichokes, but shorter. ;-)
Old 20-06-2010, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 19 June, 19:36, anon-y-mouse wrote:
[...]

To me mint tea is normal tea with a good 6 inch sprig of mint added
instead of milk.
When going abroad I take tea bags and herbal mint tea bags as well in
case I cant get milk.then I use one of each to make my morning cuppa,
(I also take my kettle and a 3/4 pint mug)
David Hill
Old 22-06-2010, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

I'm sure your mum was right.

Bill

Old 22-06-2010, 09:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Rance" wrote in message
On Sat, 19 Jun 2010 john hamilton wrote:

My method of making mint sauce:

Gather enough leaves and the growing tips for your immediate purpose. Chop
the leaves as finely as you can. Sprinkle some sugar (I use a small
teaspoonful) to help extract the juice. Leave for half an hour or so and
then add the vinegar. Don't dilute it!

Mint sauce won't keep well so make only enough for your immediate purpose.

I've never tried this, but I've heard it told to make up a strong batch of
mint sauce then put it into an ice-cube tray, then freeze. When needed,
take out a cube or two and add either vinegar or boiling water to suit. I'm
not sure of the last bit but you can see the thinking behind the method.

Bill

Study finds monarch butterflies use medicinal plants to treat offspring Bill who putters Edible Gardening 7 13-10-2010 10:05 AM
Doug's mint - dougs-mint.jpg Ann Garden Photos 4 06-08-2007 05:44 PM
Mint plants MaxMustermann Gardening 2 06-12-2005 12:05 PM
diseased mint and basil plants Woody 58 United Kingdom 0 10-07-2004 04:06 PM
Mint plants craignw Edible Gardening 13 02-07-2003 01:44 PM