Old 23-06-2010, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default butternut squash

On Jun 23, 4:40*pm, wrote:
"Cat(h)" wrote:
Thank you all for your contributions. *The remaining squash is
growing, but not a mile a minute. *I guess I'll have to continue
watering, feeding, talking to it, playing it classical music and a bit
of rap, and all that. *And learn from the experience whether it is
worth bothering with again next year...

Always worth trying again next year if it's your first failure.
If you can get them, it's still worth buying in a couple of plants for
this year, imho.

Next year, if possible, I would recommend getting a root trainer and plant
about twice as many seeds as you need. *Keep them in the root trainer either
on a window sill or a greenhouse if available until the beginning of June at
least.
I think my seeds went in mid-April to early May. *The root trainer keeps the
roots heading in the right direction but without taking up a lot of space
for roots (althuogh they do start to sprawl a lot when they get going!!)

If you're anywhere local to Harlow, pop over to our summer fete next weekend
(3rd July, 11-2pm) and I will promise to bring you some spare plants to
sell! *:-)

Very kind - though I'm not in a position to join you - and fair
point. I will see about getting another couple of plants and trying
again, having weeded and dug a large area of the garden last week end.
Thanks for the encouragement!
Caít()