Old 21-06-2010, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default butternut squash

Having been terribly late to get going in the garden this year, it was
only in mid May that I got started in earnest, digging, weeding and
planting a number of plants - rather than seed - acquired at my local
garden centre.
Among many other things that are merrily thriving, I bought a couple
of courgettes, which are doing great, and two butternut squashes just
because I love the veg, and thought that it could be grown here
(Eastern Midlands of Ireland) if it was available in the garden
centre.
One of my two squashes has now all but disappeared, after looking very
sorry for itself - limp, pale, etc.
The second one appeared to be heading the same way, but is now
apparently picking up. I don't know if it is the return of very
summery temperatures and full sun, or what. I do water my plantings
when needed - not normally the case in Ireland, but we are having a
very dry spell, so I water every few days.
I should say all above are planted in full sun, but outside - I have
neither green house nor polytunnel.
What are the chances of my second squash surviving and fruiting, and
what can I do to give it the best possible chances?
TIA

Caít()
Old 21-06-2010, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cat(h)" wrote
[...]

I water ours daily especially when young, about 5th of a can each, and I
feed them too.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 21-06-2010, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 18:02:27 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Cat(h)" wrote
[...]

feed daily with?
--
http://www.Voucherfreebies.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Old 21-06-2010, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mogga" wrote ...
"Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Cat(h)" wrote
[...]

Not daily but weekly with any normal liquid fertilizer, or better still,
Seaweed extract.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 21-06-2010, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
Having been terribly late to get going in the garden
this year, it was
only in mid May that I got started in earnest, digging,
weeding and
planting a number of plants - rather than seed -
acquired at my local
garden centre.
Among many other things that are merrily thriving, I
bought a couple
of courgettes, which are doing great, and two butternut
squashes just
because I love the veg, and thought that it could be
grown here
(Eastern Midlands of Ireland) if it was available in
the garden
centre.

My butternut squashes are struggling and I live in
Cornwall. I'm convinced it's the low nightime
temperatures. Maybe things will improve if there is a
change in the pattern of NE winds and lack of cloud
cover?

Bertie

Old 22-06-2010, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 20:14:06 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

I water ours daily especially when young, about 5th of a can each, and I
feed them too.

feed daily with?

Not daily but weekly with any normal liquid fertilizer, or better still,
Seaweed extract.

Ah that's what I thought you might mean. I've got some of that seaweed
stuff and have been using it. I've got a flower appearing now... the
courgettes are miles ahead.
Old 22-06-2010, 11:59 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat(h) View Post
One of my two squashes has now all but disappeared, after looking very
sorry for itself - limp, pale, etc.
The second one appeared to be heading the same way, but is now
apparently picking up. I don't know if it is the return of very
summery temperatures and full sun, or what. What are the chances of my second squash surviving and fruiting, and
what can I do to give it the best possible chances?
They don't like it cool. Mid-May was too early to plant it out, especially this year which had a cold patch mid-May.

My experience of squashes is that if they have had a rough patch in their youth, they tend not to do very much later on. I have a sad experience of going on holiday in June for a fortnight, finding them having suffered from teh weather in my absence, and never really getting going again to the huge vigour they should have.

It should now be growing mile-a-minute. They need a lot of leaf to be able to support the expansion of their huge fruits. If it isn't, you'll probably be disappointed.

You might also have greater success if you secure seed of special non-commercial varieties selected to grow well in These Islands' cooler conditions than the areas where they are commercially grown, rather than taking seeds out of a supermarket butternut, or some plant of unknown variety picked up from a seller who isn't telling you.
Old 22-06-2010, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

mogga wrote:
Ah that's what I thought you might mean. I've got some of that seaweed
stuff and have been using it. I've got a flower appearing now... the
courgettes are miles ahead.

I think it's normal for butternut to be much later than courgettes. My
butternut aren't even out of the greenhouse yet (more due to lack of time
than design, but I dont' expect them to suffer)

Courgettes are already fruiting (got about 5 fruit atm! Not quite picked
any yet, althuogh the first one was very tempting!) pumpkins and butternut
are sitting waiting to be put out. I think I'm sadly behind with my melons,
though. :-(
Old 22-06-2010, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22 Jun 2010 11:59:54 GMT, wrote:

mogga wrote:
Ah that's what I thought you might mean. I've got some of that seaweed
stuff and have been using it. I've got a flower appearing now... the
courgettes are miles ahead.

I think it's normal for butternut to be much later than courgettes. My
butternut aren't even out of the greenhouse yet (more due to lack of time
than design, but I dont' expect them to suffer)

Oh that's good then! I don't feel so bad now!

Courgettes are already fruiting (got about 5 fruit atm! Not quite picked
any yet, althuogh the first one was very tempting!) pumpkins and butternut
are sitting waiting to be put out. I think I'm sadly behind with my melons,
though. :-(

I've not picked mine yet - got two approaching readiness.
Melons! Not thought of them! Must consider them for next year!
Old 22-06-2010, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

mogga wrote:
I think it's normal for butternut to be much later than courgettes. My
butternut aren't even out of the greenhouse yet (more due to lack of time
than design, but I dont' expect them to suffer)

Oh that's good then! I don't feel so bad now!

Last year my butternuts were a last minute "oops, guess what we forgot!!"
crop, and iirc we got 48 fruits in a 1m wide full width of the allotment.
It was a stunning amount of fruit! Unfortunately frost damaged a lot of
them in store when someone (mentioning no names) left the summerhouse door
open!

I've not picked mine yet - got two approaching readiness.

*nod* One that I could have picked on Sunday I decided to leave for another
few days, whih probably means it will be munched by slugs by tomorrow. :-(

Melons! Not thought of them! Must consider them for next year!

I grew about 6 plants last year (ogen, hero of lockinge and green nutmeg
iirc) - some from bought seeds, some from seed swap at Hampshire potato day.
I got 2 good size fruit and 1 that didn't get time to get big enough to be
edible. The plants went mental, totally took over the greenhouse and had a
huge barney with the tomatoes they met at the top (cos I was naughty and
didn't nip the tops off the cherry toms last year)

The whole greenhouse was like some kind of jungle vine playground! :-)

The 2 melons we got were absolutely delicious, though, I was very proud of
them!

Old 22-06-2010, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

echinosum wrote:
You might also have greater success if you secure seed of special
non-commercial varieties selected to grow well in These Islands' cooler
conditions than the areas where they are commercially grown, rather than
taking seeds out of a supermarket butternut, or some plant of unknown
variety picked up from a seller who isn't telling you.

I think my hugely successful variety last year was "sprinter"
Old 22-06-2010, 06:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cat(h)" wrote in message
[...]

***
I had to rescue a butternut squash from our allotment.
It is now back in a pot and slowly reviving.
The one in a tub on the patio is doing a lot better but not looking
particularly agressive.
The two courgettes still at the allotment have settled in and are a nice
dark green with whitish veinns on the leaves and are just starting to fruit.
I now don't know if I should take the healthier butternut squash to the
allotment for a chance to stretch its legs, or keep it back at home where it
will be a bit restricted.
It has been a strange year so far.

Cheers

Dave R

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

Old 23-06-2010, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22 Jun 2010 15:43:14 GMT, wrote:

mogga wrote:
I think it's normal for butternut to be much later than courgettes. My
butternut aren't even out of the greenhouse yet (more due to lack of time
than design, but I dont' expect them to suffer)

Oh that's good then! I don't feel so bad now!

Last year my butternuts were a last minute "oops, guess what we forgot!!"
crop, and iirc we got 48 fruits in a 1m wide full width of the allotment.
It was a stunning amount of fruit! Unfortunately frost damaged a lot of
them in store when someone (mentioning no names) left the summerhouse door
open!

48! WOW impressive. I think I've got a flower on one now! ooo

[...]

Ah that might be a problem - don't think the greenhouse is big enough
.... might have to look at building some mega cold frame sort of thing
though
Old 23-06-2010, 03:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 22, 6:41*pm, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:
"Cat(h)" wrote in message

[...]

Thank you all for your contributions. The remaining squash is
growing, but not a mile a minute. I guess I'll have to continue
watering, feeding, talking to it, playing it classical music and a bit
of rap, and all that. And learn from the experience whether it is
worth bothering with again next year...

Caít()
Old 23-06-2010, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

"Cat(h)" wrote:
Thank you all for your contributions. The remaining squash is
growing, but not a mile a minute. I guess I'll have to continue
watering, feeding, talking to it, playing it classical music and a bit
of rap, and all that. And learn from the experience whether it is
worth bothering with again next year...

Always worth trying again next year if it's your first failure.
If you can get them, it's still worth buying in a couple of plants for
this year, imho.

Next year, if possible, I would recommend getting a root trainer and plant
about twice as many seeds as you need. Keep them in the root trainer either
on a window sill or a greenhouse if available until the beginning of June at
least.
I think my seeds went in mid-April to early May. The root trainer keeps the
roots heading in the right direction but without taking up a lot of space
for roots (althuogh they do start to sprawl a lot when they get going!!)

If you're anywhere local to Harlow, pop over to our summer fete next weekend
(3rd July, 11-2pm) and I will promise to bring you some spare plants to
sell! :-)