Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 21-06-2010, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default butternut squash

Having been terribly late to get going in the garden this year, it was
only in mid May that I got started in earnest, digging, weeding and
planting a number of plants - rather than seed - acquired at my local
garden centre.
Among many other things that are merrily thriving, I bought a couple
of courgettes, which are doing great, and two butternut squashes just
because I love the veg, and thought that it could be grown here
(Eastern Midlands of Ireland) if it was available in the garden
centre.
One of my two squashes has now all but disappeared, after looking very
sorry for itself - limp, pale, etc.
The second one appeared to be heading the same way, but is now
apparently picking up. I don't know if it is the return of very
summery temperatures and full sun, or what. I do water my plantings
when needed - not normally the case in Ireland, but we are having a
very dry spell, so I water every few days.
I should say all above are planted in full sun, but outside - I have
neither green house nor polytunnel.
What are the chances of my second squash surviving and fruiting, and
what can I do to give it the best possible chances?
TIA

Caít()