Old 22-06-2010, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default encouraging striking

On the "plants for a future" web site they suggest encouraging arbutus
cuttings to strike by

"They are a bit slow to root and you often get a poor percentage take.
To improve this, try soaking some chopped willow twigs in cold water for
24 hours and then watering the cuttings with this water. The willow bark
contains root-promoting hormones and will encourage root formation in
the cuttings. "

Now there's a thought! Would this work with other cuttings? Not being
very scientifically trained I don't know if this theory has a basis of
truth.

I was thinking of trying it on other cuttings!

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 22-06-2010, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
On the "plants for a future" web site they suggest encouraging arbutus
cuttings to strike by

"They are a bit slow to root and you often get a poor percentage take. To
improve this, try soaking some chopped willow twigs in cold water for 24
hours and then watering the cuttings with this water. The willow bark
contains root-promoting hormones and will encourage root formation in the
cuttings. "

Now there's a thought! Would this work with other cuttings? Not being very
scientifically trained I don't know if this theory has a basis of truth.

I was thinking of trying it on other cuttings!

I haven't heard of this method, but wouldn't it just be simpler to use
rooting powder?

Steve

Old 23-06-2010, 12:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
On the "plants for a future" web site they suggest encouraging arbutus
cuttings to strike by

"They are a bit slow to root and you often get a poor percentage take. To
improve this, try soaking some chopped willow twigs in cold water for 24
hours and then watering the cuttings with this water. The willow bark
contains root-promoting hormones and will encourage root formation in the
cuttings. "

Now there's a thought! Would this work with other cuttings? Not being very
scientifically trained I don't know if this theory has a basis of truth.

I was thinking of trying it on other cuttings!

This brought to mind something I read a few weeks ago about watering a
sickly orchid plant with a small pinch of aspirin in the water. Apparently
it is supposed to get rid of some orchid virus or other. Aspirin is of
course salicylic acid, from willow trees.

someone

Old 23-06-2010, 08:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"someone" wrote ...
"Janet Tweedy" wrote
[...]

I remember reading that someone is/has done research on this and found
spraying plants with "aspirin" stops or controls a number of diseases. Been
meaning to look it up again considering the decline in pest/disease options
we now have. Of course as it won't be tested as a crop chemical we would
never use such a thing would we. :-)

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 23-06-2010, 08:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote
"someone" wrote ...
"Janet Tweedy" wrote
[...]

Here are some links I've just found...

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2008/0...s-aspirin.html

http://www.solutions-site.org/artman...icle_347.shtml

http://www.papillonsartpalace.com/aspirinforplants.htm

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 23-06-2010, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 23 June, 08:27, "Bob Hobden" wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote

"someone" wrote ...
"Janet Tweedy" *wrote
[...]

W.of London. UK- Hide quoted text -

I have posted previously about using disolved asprin to possibly clear
virus from dahlias and other plants.
It seems that sylasilic acid is a growth hormone to some extent.
Re willow twigs, I have come accross postings of people placing a few
willow twigs in water together with the cuttings they want to root,
the idea being that the will gives of hormones as they start to
produce roots and the other cuttings are helped by it in producing
their roots.
Try it, what have you to loose.
David Hill
Old 23-06-2010, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

This brought to mind something I read a few weeks ago about watering a
sickly orchid plant with a small pinch of aspirin in the water.
Apparently it is supposed to get rid of some orchid virus or other.
Aspirin is of course salicylic acid, from willow trees.

In Gerald Durrell's 'My Family and other Animals' his tutor's mother
used to put aspirin in with cut roses to make them last longer.

Old 23-06-2010, 12:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Jill Bell wrote:
In Gerald Durrell's 'My Family and other Animals' his tutor's mother
used to put aspirin in with cut roses to make them last longer.

My mum used to do it with orchids. It seemed to be a bit hit and miss
whether it worked or not.
Old 23-06-2010, 01:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , shazzbat
writes
I haven't heard of this method, but wouldn't it just be simpler to use
rooting powder?

Steve

From my experience rooting powder seems to stop rot not add hormones.
I've always found lumping difficult little cuttings in with something
supper easy like weigela often helps, Maybe it's the same thing?
Proximity to rooting hormones? One reason why i have a large box and
just shove everything in willy nilly. I do get quite a bit of success.
Old 23-06-2010, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
On the "plants for a future" web site they suggest encouraging arbutus
cuttings to strike by

"They are a bit slow to root and you often get a poor percentage take. To
improve this, try soaking some chopped willow twigs in cold water for 24
hours and then watering the cuttings with this water. The willow bark
contains root-promoting hormones and will encourage root formation in the
cuttings. "

Now there's a thought! Would this work with other cuttings? Not being very
scientifically trained I don't know if this theory has a basis of truth.

I was thinking of trying it on other cuttings!

Very interesting. Let me know if it works. I tend to use hormone rooting
powder, which is very successful for me, but a more natural approach would
be welcomed.
Tina

Old 23-06-2010, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote
"Bob Hobden"
"someone" wrote ...
"Janet Tweedy" wrote
[...]

I'm wondering if it could be used on plants that you cannot use Hormone
Rooting Compound on like Pelargoniums. Not that I normally have problems
getting them rooted.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden