Old 26-06-2010, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default lawn seed won't take

Last year I rotorvated my front lawn after I cleared all the moss growth
as the soil was fairly compacted in places.
I re seeded after levelling using 'Easy Green Mix' from Lawn UK. Due to
heavy downpours some of the seed was washed away, and when the grass had
actually grown , the lawn was patchy.
I then re seeded again using the same seed, but due the possible adverse
changes of weather, it did no take.

Earlier this year (May) as I could not get the same seed as before I
bought some Johnsons easy lawn seed from a local supplier, which I used
to reseed again over the existing grass etc. Just after I had sown the
seed, it rained lightly off and on over a period of about a week or so,
but also went cooler at times. Typically English weather!

It is now several weeks since I sowed the new seed, but that has not
taken either, and the lawn is as patchy as it was last year.

Any ideas as to why this is and what I can do to improve the look/
reduce the patchiness.

Thanks
Old 26-06-2010, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob H" wrote in message
[...]

u need to cover the seed either with a dressing or germination sheets have
u given the lawn a feed also plenty of watering.

Old 26-06-2010, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/06/2010 10:52, pied piper wrote:

"Bob H" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, but a dressing of what?
err no I didn't feed the lawn with anything, nor did I give it plenty of
water as it did rain a few times after the second time I re seeded.

Old 26-06-2010, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob H" wrote in message
[...]

I have found that I need to cover the seed with a thin layer of soil or
potting compost for it to germinate well.
If just left exposed to the sun it doesn't do as well, even if quite wet.
For my last lot of patching I used part of a bag of Homebase topsoil.
If you are sowing now you need to cover the seed and also water regularly to
provide reasonable germination and growing conditions.

HTH

Dave R

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

Old 27-06-2010, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob H" wrote in message
[...]

some top soil keep watered daily evening time is best soak but dont flood u
can use old sacking as germination sheets

Old 27-06-2010, 08:58 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H View Post
Earlier this year (May) as I could not get the same seed as before I
bought some Johnsons easy lawn seed from a local supplier, which I used
to reseed again over the existing grass etc. Just after I had sown the
seed, it rained lightly off and on over a period of about a week or so,
but also went cooler at times.
Most places in England it has not been wet enough to sow grass seed without assisted watering the last couple of months. Raining lightly on and off for a week isn't enough. You need it to rain regularly and copiously for more like three months to establish a lawn from seed, or else water it. It typically takes the seed about 3 weeks to germinate, and during the period after germination any dry spell will kill the little seedlings, they are very sensitive to dry during this period as they have very little root system. This is why the best time to sow grass seed is early autumn when nature is more likely to supply the required, than spring/summer when dry spells are the norm. Though if you do sow in spring/summer and water it religiously, your grass will germinate and grow faster.
Old 28-06-2010, 08:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob H" wrote in message

It is now several weeks since I sowed the new seed, but that has not taken
either, and the lawn is as patchy as it was last year.

Any ideas as to why this is and what I can do to improve the look/ reduce
the patchiness.

Thanks

On our local golf course the greenkeeper has sown seed on some newly
prepared Ground Under Repair. There are two fairly large areas one of which
is in the open and the other quite shaded by trees. The shaded area is
sprouting well but the open area still hasn't shown any sign of germination.

The clues are there :-)

Bill

Old 10-02-2011, 11:09 PM
Registered User

I found that I need to cover the seeds with a thin layer of soil or potting compost which germinate well. If you just left exposed to sunlight it will not do as well, even if it is wet. For my part of the last patch, I used a bag of fixed classrooms topsoil.