Old 27-06-2010, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What's eating our lettuce?

We went to the allotment today, and this is what's left of our lettuce-

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...rew/027Jun.jpg

Is this typical of deer damage? If not deer, what?

--
Steve

Never shake the ketchup bottle. None'll come, and then a lot'll

Old 27-06-2010, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/06/2010 19:33, shazzbat wrote:
We went to the allotment today, and this is what's left of our lettuce-

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...rew/027Jun.jpg

Is this typical of deer damage? If not deer, what?

Pests of the two legged variety?
Old 27-06-2010, 07:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 19:42:36 +0100, Jill Bell
wrote:

On 27/06/2010 19:33, shazzbat wrote:
We went to the allotment today, and this is what's left of our lettuce-

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...rew/027Jun.jpg

Is this typical of deer damage? If not deer, what?

Pests of the two legged variety?

Calm down, deer!!

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)
Old 27-06-2010, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

One or two look as if they have been cut. I am inclined to support the
2-legged theory.

--

Baal

I smile and go off waving
(Amiably) - for that's my way

http://www.helden.org.uk

Old 27-06-2010, 10:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jill Bell" wrote in message
news
On 27/06/2010 19:33, shazzbat wrote:
We went to the allotment today, and this is what's left of our lettuce-

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...rew/027Jun.jpg

Is this typical of deer damage? If not deer, what?

Pests of the two legged variety?

What?...... Ostriches?

Bill

Old 27-06-2010, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

news

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...20stuff%20we%2....

Is this typical of deer damage? If not deer, what?

*Pests of the two legged variety?

What?...... *Ostriches?

Bill

I'd have thought that you might find a hoof print or 2 from deer and/
or droppings in the area.
David Hill
Old 28-06-2010, 08:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On 27 June, 22:24, "Bill Grey" wrote:
"Jill Bell" wrote in message

news
On 27/06/2010 19:33, shazzbat wrote:
We went to the allotment today, and this is what's left of our lettuce-

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...20stuff%20we%2...

Is this typical of deer damage? If not deer, what?

Pests of the two legged variety?

What?...... Ostriches?

Bill

I'd have thought that you might find a hoof print or 2 from deer and/
or droppings in the area.
David Hill

Indeed David - evidence of this sort would be of great help - like the
cloven hoof prints when my neighbour's goat chomped my tulips !

Bill

Old 28-06-2010, 09:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/06/2010 23:39, Dave Hill wrote:
On 27 June, 22:24, "Bill wrote:
"Jill wrote in message

news
On 27/06/2010 19:33, shazzbat wrote:
We went to the allotment today, and this is what's left of our lettuce-

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...20stuff%20we%2...

Is this typical of deer damage? If not deer, what?

Pests of the two legged variety?

What?...... Ostriches?

Bill

I'd have thought that you might find a hoof print or 2 from deer and/
or droppings in the area.
David Hill

Droppings? What - like cigarette butts?

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 28-06-2010, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/06/2010 09:49, David in Normandy wrote:
On 27/06/2010 23:39, Dave Hill wrote:
On 27 June, 22:24, "Bill wrote:
"Jill wrote in message

news
On 27/06/2010 19:33, shazzbat wrote:
We went to the allotment today, and this is what's left of our
lettuce-

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...20stuff%20we%2...

Is this typical of deer damage? If not deer, what?

Pests of the two legged variety?

What?...... Ostriches?

Bill

I'd have thought that you might find a hoof print or 2 from deer and/
or droppings in the area.
David Hill

Droppings? What - like cigarette butts?

No, silly.............. eggs. ;-)
Old 28-06-2010, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baal" wrote
"shazzbat" wrote
We went to the allotment today, and this is what's left of our lettuce-

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...rew/027Jun.jpg

Is this typical of deer damage? If not deer, what?

One or two look as if they have been cut. I am inclined to support the
2-legged theory.

I'm with the two legged villain theory. A friend had lots of stuff missing
on their site just as it became ready for harvest and they were all looking
at each other. One morning he couldn't sleep and wandered over to the site
very early to find a Chinese lady helping herself to all the produce! A
Chinese Takeaway.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 29-06-2010, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"AriesVal" wrote in message
On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 19:33:00 +0100, shazzbat wrote:

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...rew/027Jun.jpg

Is this typical of deer damage? If not deer, what?

It does look like deer damage to me? Are any of your other plants
affected,
roses? Peas?

We have no roses on the allotment. Peas are close to the lettuce, but not
touched. We went there again this evening, and now some potatoes are eaten
off, and there are some not very good prints near the lettuce.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t.../029Jun001.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t.../029Jun002.jpg

I don't think people would have eaten the spuds off. The strange thing is
the beans are untouched. I've heard deer are fond of beans.

Steve

Old 29-06-2010, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...rew/027Jun.jpg
Is this typical of deer damage? If not deer, what?

I'm sorry but its obvious.

It's that Were-Rabitt again.

(we had a full moon a few days ago)

Old 29-06-2010, 11:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/06/10 21:18, shazzbat wrote:

"AriesVal" wrote in message
On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 19:33:00 +0100, shazzbat wrote:

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...rew/027Jun.jpg

Is this typical of deer damage? If not deer, what?

It does look like deer damage to me? Are any of your other plants
affected,
roses? Peas?

We have no roses on the allotment. Peas are close to the lettuce, but
not touched. We went there again this evening, and now some potatoes are
eaten off, and there are some not very good prints near the lettuce.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t.../029Jun001.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t.../029Jun002.jpg

I don't think people would have eaten the spuds off. The strange thing
is the beans are untouched. I've heard deer are fond of beans.

It could be a rare herd of mole crickets.
Old 30-06-2010, 09:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/06/2010 19:33, shazzbat wrote:
We went to the allotment today, and this is what's left of our lettuce-

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t...rew/027Jun.jpg

Is this typical of deer damage? If not deer, what?

Two-legged rats, I suspect :~(.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London