Old 29-06-2010, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Glyphosate - when to dig in

Following earlier advice in this forum I am putting bindweed leaves into
a polythene bag and then spraying into the bag securing with a tie.

Isolated growths I am just spraying.

When would the root be effectively dead allowing me to dig in or pull up.

The instructions suggest a few weeks but can a dieing plant recover or
is it effectively dead once the leaves start to shrivel.

Geoff Lane

Old 29-06-2010, 10:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Geoff Lane" wrote in message
Following earlier advice in this forum I am putting bindweed leaves into a
polythene bag and then spraying into the bag securing with a tie.

Isolated growths I am just spraying.

When would the root be effectively dead allowing me to dig in or pull up.

The instructions suggest a few weeks but can a dieing plant recover or is
it effectively dead once the leaves start to shrivel.

Geoff Lane

just leave the root system to die off

Old 30-06-2010, 09:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/06/2010 23:03, Geoff Lane wrote:
Following earlier advice in this forum I am putting bindweed leaves into
a polythene bag and then spraying into the bag securing with a tie.

Isolated growths I am just spraying.

When would the root be effectively dead allowing me to dig in or pull up.

The instructions suggest a few weeks but can a dieing plant recover or
is it effectively dead once the leaves start to shrivel.

Geoff Lane

In my experience bindweed usually needs more than one hit with
Glyphosate. The foliage can completely die off and you think you are rid
of it, but a few weeks later new shoots emerge from the ground, so it
needs hitting again. So the first spraying only weakened the root rather
than killing it. The roots are so brittle anyway and each little bit can
start putting up new shoots I'd be tempted to leave it there and keep
spraying until it is gone rather than try to dig it out and risk
breaking little bits all over.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 30-06-2010, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/06/2010 22:03, Geoff Lane wrote:
Following earlier advice in this forum I am putting bindweed leaves into
a polythene bag and then spraying into the bag securing with a tie.

Isolated growths I am just spraying.

When would the root be effectively dead allowing me to dig in or pull up.

One hit won't do it. If you have a lot of the stuff then there is some
slight mileage in letting it get tinder dry and then torching the top
growth - taking care not to burn fences or adjacent plants.

The instructions suggest a few weeks but can a dieing plant recover or
is it effectively dead once the leaves start to shrivel.

One hit will not kill the roots of bindweed. After 3-4 weeks they will
be up with new shoots and you will need to hit it again. Then give it
another couple of weeks and try digging out what you can.
Glyphosate may not kill it but it does weaken it to the point that small
pieces will not regrow - same is true for ground elder (which is easier
to kill).

Regards,
Martin Brown

PS watch out for new seedlings of it.
Old 30-06-2010, 06:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin Brown wrote:

[...]

Is it not likely that the best time to treat it will be late summer to
early autumn before the frosts have killed the top growth? Since then
it will be sending sugars down to the roots and that will promote the
take up of glyphosate into the roots. That is what is recommended with
Japanese knotweed. I'm biding my time on a major clump of that at my
brother's place.
--
Phil Cook http://www.therewaslight.co.uk

Old 30-06-2010, 07:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/06/2010 18:28, Phil Cook wrote:
Martin Brown wrote:

[...]

Not quite.

If you don't mind using things off-label (technically illegal) then
using glyphosate dilute 2x more than normal will allow more time for the
transolocation before the top growth dies. And is cheaper if you hit it
every couple of weeks. You do not want to allow any leaves of bindweed
or knotweed to see the sunlight without being sprayed.

Hit it. Hit it and hit it again every two weeks through the growing
season. Doesn't really matter what weedkiller you use either just do not
let it get good leaves in sunlight. It will store energy in the
extensive roots from the moment it has two leaves above ground!

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 30-06-2010, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/06/2010 22:03, Geoff Lane wrote:
Following earlier advice in this forum I am putting bindweed leaves into
a polythene bag and then spraying into the bag securing with a tie.

Isolated growths I am just spraying.

When would the root be effectively dead allowing me to dig in or pull up.

The instructions suggest a few weeks but can a dieing plant recover or
is it effectively dead once the leaves start to shrivel.

Geoff Lane

I agree entirely with the others. Leave the glyphosate to do its job ..
then zap any new growth. Personally, I would *never* risk digging in
bindweed root. Once invaded, paranoid forever.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 01-07-2010, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/06/2010 22:03, Geoff Lane wrote:
Following earlier advice in this forum I am putting bindweed leaves into
a polythene bag and then spraying into the bag securing with a tie.

Isolated growths I am just spraying.

When would the root be effectively dead allowing me to dig in or pull up.

The instructions suggest a few weeks but can a dieing plant recover or
is it effectively dead once the leaves start to shrivel.

Thanks everybody for the advice, bit like Voldemort in Harry Potter,
keeps getting killed off and keeps coming back

Geoff Lane

Old 02-07-2010, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/06/2010 09:14, David in Normandy wrote:

In my experience bindweed usually needs more than one hit with
Glyphosate. The foliage can completely die off and you think you are rid
of it, but a few weeks later new shoots emerge from the ground, so it
needs hitting again. So the first spraying only weakened the root rather
than killing it. The roots are so brittle anyway and each little bit can
start putting up new shoots I'd be tempted to leave it there and keep
spraying until it is gone rather than try to dig it out and risk
breaking little bits all over.

Going by your experience then painting tumbleweed (contains glyphosate)
on a couple of leaves for hard to get at plants (in rose bushes) wont
work then.

Geoff Lane

Old 02-07-2010, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/07/2010 19:17, Geoff Lane wrote:
On 30/06/2010 09:14, David in Normandy wrote:

In my experience bindweed usually needs more than one hit with
Glyphosate. The foliage can completely die off and you think you are rid
of it, but a few weeks later new shoots emerge from the ground, so it
needs hitting again. So the first spraying only weakened the root rather
than killing it. The roots are so brittle anyway and each little bit can
start putting up new shoots I'd be tempted to leave it there and keep
spraying until it is gone rather than try to dig it out and risk
breaking little bits all over.

Going by your experience then painting tumbleweed (contains glyphosate)
on a couple of leaves for hard to get at plants (in rose bushes) wont
work then.

Geoff Lane

It might if you keep repeating the treatment, but like someone else
mentioned, you need to hit them again the moment they put new growth up
out of the ground. If you only subsequently find it when it is several
inches high again then it is too late and you are back to square one again.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.

glyphosate and vegetables Martin Brown United Kingdom 2 05-08-2003 03:43 PM
Glyphosate Huskies4all Roses 7 29-05-2003 05:56 PM
The dangers of weed killers - Glyphosate aka Roundup, the hidden killer. Malcolm United Kingdom 0 15-05-2003 10:45 AM
storage lifetime of glyphosate dave @ stejonda United Kingdom 7 12-05-2003 07:56 PM
storage lifetime of glyphosate dave @ stejonda United Kingdom 4 12-05-2003 11:45 AM