Old 02-07-2010, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default toad control?

A rather odd problem. We've always had our share of toads here,
inoffensive creatures generally. The main problem has been they tend to
get wedged in the kitchen door and then make a terrible mess when
someone slams it...

But currently they're a real bother. I'm growing several hundred
Japanese Maple seedlings in small pots, from seed I received from a
fellow collector in the States. There are quite a few interesting ones,
as well as many of the usual green and red varieties, most of which will
be given away next year when they get big enough (if anyone on coming
through Lower Normandy wants some, ask away). The pots get morning sun
but shade most of the day, and are watered, so basically they make a
perfect toad seat! I frequently (as just now when I went to water) find
1 or 2 large toads perched, completely crushing the plant underneath.
Sometimes the plant survives, sometimes the little stem is broken and it
dies. In any case it won't help the damping off problem.

I've been picking up (with a trowel!) the toads and depositing them
several hundred feet away in the brush, but they seem to find their way
back alright. Neither the cat nor dog will touch them.

Any ideas for a solution? What drives toads away? Or do I need to have
big protected tables?

Thanks for any and all ideas,

-E
Old 02-07-2010, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/07/2010 19:31, Emery Davis wrote:
[...]

How about putting a short stick (pencil sized) in each pot a couple of
inches higher than the seedlings? It may be uncomfortable enough to keep
them off without harming them? Perhaps short lengths of stiff garden
(fencing) wire would also work?

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/02/2010 07:42 PM, David in Normandy wrote:
Any ideas for a solution? What drives toads away? Or do I need to have
big protected tables?

Thanks for any and all ideas,

-E

How about putting a short stick (pencil sized) in each pot a couple of
inches higher than the seedlings? It may be uncomfortable enough to keep
them off without harming them? Perhaps short lengths of stiff garden
(fencing) wire would also work?

Hi David,

Hmm, that's an idea... honestly though I think that because the soil is
very loose -- it's "peat" mixed with soil, pine bits and cat litter --
the stakes would just fall over and do even more damage to the
seedlings. Certainly worth a try if wot else fails.

-E
Old 04-07-2010, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/02/2010 07:31 PM, Emery Davis wrote:
Any ideas for a solution? What drives toads away? Or do I need to have
big protected tables?

Apologies for the self-reply; I re-read and realized this came off
wrong. Of course I don't want to "drive toads away" from the garden,
just from these specific pots.

Current solution revolves around hoping toads can't climb, and putting
all the pots on raised tables (instead of palettes) with netting for
birds. I may try David's idea too.

-E

Scale control - methods for indoor control? BruceM Orchids 13 17-05-2007 06:11 AM
Moderated is a control measure for control freaks RTB Ponds 5 28-11-2006 09:37 PM
Toad Beak 21 Ponds (alternative) 1 26-03-2003 08:32 PM
to "Toad" Faye Lifford-Earle Gardening 1 04-02-2003 01:19 AM