Old 12-07-2010, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default irrigation system

Can anyone recommend an effective system. I have the aldi one and the
timer works well but the hose and drip items dont work at all well. I am
going on hols soon an would like my raised bed watered . Thanks.
Old 13-07-2010, 12:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-07-12 22:55:53 +0100, yaputa said:

Can anyone recommend an effective system. I have the aldi one and the
timer works well but the hose and drip items dont work at all well. I
am going on hols soon an would like my raised bed watered . Thanks.

If the timer is ok, I would be inclined to connect it up to some soaker
hose (aka porous/seep hose) which is how I water all my raised veg beds
(using a 4-way adapter to split the supply to 4 different soaker hoses.

If that doesn't grab you, have you looked at the Aquapod system?
http://www.hozelock-aquapod.com
Very quick and easy to set up and a two-pod pack might be sufficient,
depending on the size of your bed.

Or if you like to build a micro system from scratch, the Hozelock
components work as well as any for me:
http://www.hozelock.com/watering/aut...omponents.html

Old 13-07-2010, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"yaputa" wrote in message
Can anyone recommend an effective system. I have the aldi one and the
timer works well but the hose and drip items dont work at all well. I am
going on hols soon an would like my raised bed watered . Thanks.

I've used different makes of dripper systems for years. All eventually have
problems as I'm in a fairly hard water area and scale builds up on the
dripper heads. It helps to adjust the variable rate heads every couple of
months or so, as that tends to dislodge the scale. I guess you could dip
the heads in a descaling solution now and again, and that should help, too.

Even the garden tap setting changes over time as the tap washer expands and
shrinks, and the water flow through the whole system changes. Still, I'd
rather have a system which saves a lot of time and trouble - even when I'm
not away - than not have it at all.

--

Jeff