Old 14-07-2010, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wasps

Went down the allotment to mow the grass track through it this afternoon,
doing well when I hit a wasp nest somewhere on the ground. OMG first time
I've ever been attacked by a gang of them and I wouldn't like it to happen
again thank you!
It's right by a water trough so a bit dangerous, I'll mail the Council on
the off-chance they might do something.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 15-07-2010, 09:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , says...
On 2010-07-14 18:00:43 +0100, "Bob Hobden" said:

Went down the allotment to mow the grass track through it this
afternoon, doing well when I hit a wasp nest somewhere on the ground.
OMG first time I've ever been attacked by a gang of them and I wouldn't
like it to happen again thank you!
It's right by a water trough so a bit dangerous, I'll mail the Council
on the off-chance they might do something.

One of our staff did that twice on his family's farm last year and he
found two nests here. He hates the things so they seem to follow him
about! Last year was certainly the year of the wasp round here. Our
pest controller told us that it goes in cycles. You can have two or
three fairly quiet wasp years and then you'll have one when all hell
breaks loose. That was it for us last year. They were all over the
place. I've seen two this year.

Yes its odd, they are not even around on the persicaria amplexicaul which
is normally covered, you would think after a bumper year like last year
more queens would be around this, must have been the long cold spring,
not so many survived the winter hibernation?
--
Charlie Pridham, Gardening in Cornwall
www.roselandhouse.co.uk
Old 15-07-2010, 11:16 AM
Registered User

Location: London

I hate wasps! I have had to deal with a couple of nests in my loft before, luckily they were both dormant. The nests are amazing in their construction and incredibly light. But they are creepy thing to look at in the dim light of a loft!
__________________
gardening for children
Old 15-07-2010, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Charlie
Pridham writes
Yes its odd, they are not even around on the persicaria amplexicaul which
is normally covered, you would think after a bumper year like last year
more queens would be around this, must have been the long cold spring,
not so many survived the winter hibernation?

A friend has just had five nests treated around the outside of her
house, some being on the actual outside under the eaves and the rest
being under the roof tiles
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 17-07-2010, 07:57 PM
Registered User

Location: Heswall, Wirral

Tell me about it, wasps are important for ecological reason but the bane of my, and many others lives. Last year toward the end they really became a nuisance, you couldn't actually move without encountering one (or 50!)

I think at this time of year they're manageable but come late Autumn they become fairly problematic as they're looking for fructose, and end up attracted to Sucrose instead!

They like to feast on rubber as well, why is that?

WAsps, wasps and more wasps Broadback United Kingdom 69 09-08-2004 09:57 AM
How to Kill spiders wasps earwigs centipedes etc Kat Gardening 14 16-05-2003 11:56 PM
the truth about wasps...and contrition Edible Gardening 0 08-05-2003 10:20 PM
Ground Wasps Lar Gardening 2 01-05-2003 05:44 AM
Wasps nest in the attic Peter Crosland United Kingdom 30 07-12-2002 07:56 PM