Old 18-07-2010, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Yellow courgettes (or perhaps not)?

We bought some green courgette plants (now producing at an alarming rate)
and some yellow courgette plants (not really got going yet but showing signs
of small fruit).

However they don't look particularly yellow.

It is a while since I've grown yellow courgettes but I am pretty sure that
the tiny fruit started out yellow, not green, and stayed yellow as they
grew.

So if you have bought some potted up seedlings labeled as 'yellow
courgetttes' and they turn out to be green, what comeback (if any) do you
have?

There doesn't seem to be much point in taking back this huge hairy plant on
which you have spent months of time, cultivation and fertilisation and
saying "You sold me the wrong plant. Can I have my 90p back please."

I can't see the liability of the shop going beyond the cost of the original
seedling.

So, apart from telling them that their supplier has sent them wrongly
labelled seedlings (and in turn may have been supplied with wrongly labelled
seeds) what can I do?

I presume there are the same problems with buying seeds which turn out to
produce the wrong variety.
If you buy a perennial then you can always take it back once it flowers but
with anuals you are more or less stuffed.
You lose all the time, expense, and effort you have expended in raising
them.

Grumble

Dave R

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

Old 18-07-2010, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David WE Roberts wrote:
[...]

A nuisance, isn't it? But I imagine the green ones are a little more
nutritious than the yellow ones, which may be a slight consolation...

Chiltern Seeds sold me a packet labelled Geranium sanguineum
v.lancastrense (striatum) last year: at about three quid for fifteen
seeds I was far from elated when only two came up as labelled, with the
others all being the magenta type. On the other hand, when one of their
sweet peas turned out to be a very pretty, though scentless, perennial
pea, I was rather pleased. I never got round to doing anything about it,
even though two errors, one of them major, in three packets is pretty
poor.

--
Mike.