Old 27-07-2010, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Mixed threads

"chris French" wrote in message
In message , Jake
writes
On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 20:45:32 +0100, "Ian B"
wrote:

From a look at the headers in question, Gardenbanter's server messed up
the
references headers, so appending LordSpudz's reply to a message in "Which
Plant...?" It may well be that Forte Agent is not threading properly,
ignoring the headers and threading by subject lines instead, in which
case
it ignored the mixup.

Ian

I've now mapped the references field in the headers (which Forte Agent
does use by the way) and everything is exactly as it should be. Given
that Lordspudz originally posted via Garden Banter, if the mix up
occurred at that point then the references would reflect that when I
look at them in my newsreader. That they do not suggests that, however
illogical this may be to some, GB isn't the culprit.

That's not what I see. I certainly see a mix up in the headers.

In Message-ID: , which for me using
Turnpike appears in the Greenhouse thread, in reply to Kay

I have the following references header:

The first is Lorsdsupdz original initial post in the Greenhouse thread,
the second is the MID for Kays post in the 'Best plant' thread. This
certainly looks like an error on the part of Gardenbanter posting system

Different people are experiencing different "results" so whilst we
must all agree that whatever happened was somewhere "out there", we
also need to agree that we'll never work out where that somewhere was.

Turnpike puts this message in reply to Kay, as I would expect as it
threads on the References headers (a sit does with the replies to it.),
unless absent. And obviously uses the most recent reference. Newsreaders
which use a different threading algorithm may produce different results
when presented with such a malformed header.

Those threading solely on subject will probably not see a problem in this
situation
--

Looks to me like some readers are threading on the first reference, and some
are threading on the second reference and thus showing the error. So

Ian

Old 28-07-2010, 12:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Ian B
writes

"chris French" wrote in message
k...
In message , Jake
writes
On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 20:45:32 +0100, "Ian B"
wrote:

From a look at the headers in question, Gardenbanter's server messed up
[...]

It's all much odder than that it seems, Jake seems to have some posts
with different references headers to me - I've got a spurious reference
to a post in another thread which caused the apparent misthreading (and
others such as Vicky presumably). He doesn't seem to for exactly the
same post.

Which sia ll rather starnge
--
Chris French

Old 28-07-2010, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"chris French" wrote in message
In message , Ian B

snip
It's all much odder than that it seems, Jake seems to have some posts with
different references headers to me - I've got a spurious reference to a
post in another thread which caused the apparent misthreading (and others
such as Vicky presumably). He doesn't seem to for exactly the same post.

One thing - a goodly number (perhaps all?) of the people with the crossed
threads are using 'news.individual.net'.
Which could suggest that this may be tied in with the way individual
services propogate the threads.

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

Old 29-07-2010, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 10:03:18 +0100, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

"chris French" wrote in message
k...
In message , Ian B

snip
It's all much odder than that it seems, Jake seems to have some posts with
different references headers to me - I've got a spurious reference to a
post in another thread which caused the apparent misthreading (and others
such as Vicky presumably). He doesn't seem to for exactly the same post.

One thing - a goodly number (perhaps all?) of the people with the crossed
threads are using 'news.individual.net'.
Which could suggest that this may be tied in with the way individual
services propogate the threads.

Dunno if it's just me but I've now got another mystery. In a thread
"Can you identify mystery plant tall stem ........" started on 29/07
by "back to the boats" I'm seeing a reply from Sacha (with all the
header references appearing to be totally correct) displayed in the
listing in Agent as from back to the boats.

Anyone else also seeing this little abberation?

Jake

http://www.rivendell.org.uk coming soon
Old 29-07-2010, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Jake
writes

Dunno if it's just me but I've now got another mystery. In a thread
"Can you identify mystery plant tall stem ........" started on 29/07
by "back to the boats" I'm seeing a reply from Sacha (with all the
header references appearing to be totally correct) displayed in the
listing in Agent as from back to the boats.

Anyone else also seeing this little abberation?

I'm not.

--
Chris French