Old 25-07-2010, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Little black Beetles

Lot's of them!

They're about the size of aphids. Anyone else experiencing them or know what
they are?

mark

Old 25-07-2010, 02:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" wrote
Lot's of them!

They're about the size of aphids. Anyone else experiencing them or know
what they are?

If they are on your cabbages and they hop when you go near them then it's
the dreaded Flea Beetle.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 25-07-2010, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mark" wrote in message
Lot's of them!

They're about the size of aphids. Anyone else experiencing them or know
what they are?

If they're the same as mine there are several zillion infesting my roses,
though dousing them with Provado seems to kill a lot of the buggers. I don't
know if they're to blame, but my first flush of blooms were a stunted,
distorted failure. But after Provado, I'm now getting some proper flowers
again.

I presumed it was the beatles, since I couldn't see hardly any aphids or
thrips or anything else. Just masses of the little beetle things. I did post
further up the group, but got no responses :'(

Ian

Old 25-07-2010, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ian B" wrote in message

"mark" wrote in message
Lot's of them!

They're about the size of aphids. Anyone else experiencing them or know
what they are?

If they're the same as mine there are several zillion infesting my roses,
though dousing them with Provado seems to kill a lot of the buggers. I
don't know if they're to blame, but my first flush of blooms were a
stunted, distorted failure. But after Provado, I'm now getting some proper
flowers again.

Same here, I have a very small rose and with a million of these things on
it, it was getting even smaller!

Took 3 goes over the space of a week with the "multi purpose bug killer" but
they're gone now. I just assumed they were blackfly, but I'm probably wrong.

Old 25-07-2010, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"mark" wrote
Lot's of them!

They're about the size of aphids. Anyone else experiencing them or know
what they are?

If they are on your cabbages and they hop when you go near them then it's
the dreaded Flea Beetle.

I'm now in a position to answer my own question!
A neighbour has referred to them as pollen beetles.
A quick google seems to confirm this. They like rape pollen so that would
tie-in with hundreds being on a yellow t-shirt on the washing line.

http://www.bayercropscience.co.uk/co...%20Beetle.mspx

mark

Old 25-07-2010, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mentalguy2k8" wrote in message

"Ian B" wrote in message

"mark" wrote in message
Lot's of them!

They're about the size of aphids. Anyone else experiencing them or know
what they are?

If they're the same as mine there are several zillion infesting my roses,
though dousing them with Provado seems to kill a lot of the buggers. I
don't know if they're to blame, but my first flush of blooms were a
stunted, distorted failure. But after Provado, I'm now getting some
proper flowers again.

Same here, I have a very small rose and with a million of these things on
it, it was getting even smaller!

Took 3 goes over the space of a week with the "multi purpose bug killer"
but they're gone now. I just assumed they were blackfly, but I'm probably
wrong.

Some more info he
http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to...pollen-beetle/

Hadn't noticed them before but there has been a lot of rape grown in the
area, bad enough the smell of the rape fields without the beetle plague!

mark

Old 25-07-2010, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ian B" wrote in message

"mark" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, that certainly looks like them. My rose was covered in them on the
stems.

Old 25-07-2010, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ian B" wrote in message

"mark" wrote in message
[...]

Hmm, mine are jet black and seemed to be doing a lot of damage. But maybe
something else was doing the damage and I've unfairly blamed them....

Ian