Old 04-08-2010, 03:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Tomato question

I have been growing a lot of tomatoes from seed this year - and very
successful it has been so far. As well as the ones deliberately sown, I
have well over a dozen strong plants which have appeared wherever I have
applied my home-made compost.

Obviously I have no idea what varieties they are, but at least one of
the plants is interesting because it appears not to be producing any
side shoots.

Does anyone know if there is a specific variety known for this, or have
I discovered a new one? I don't ever remember seeing a tomato plant
before that did not produce side shoots.

Roy.

--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Roy Bailey wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a specific variety known for this, or have
I discovered a new one? I don't ever remember seeing a tomato plant
before that did not produce side shoots.

I'm not sure I've had one before that has produced /none/, but they do seem
a bit haphazard about how many and how well they produce - it seems, in my
experience (and this is, obv, totally anecdotal) that side shoot production
may be more related to the conditions than the variety? Certainly I've got
the same variety with different levels of side-shoots in grow bags next to
each other (which would imply to me it may be watering or feeding)

I could, of course, be totally wrong. :-)
Old 05-08-2010, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 4 Aug, 15:04, Roy Bailey wrote:
I have been growing a lot of tomatoes from seed this year - and very
successful it has been so far. As well as the ones deliberately sown, I
have well over a dozen strong plants which have appeared wherever I have
applied my home-made compost.

Obviously I have no idea what varieties they are, but at least one of
the plants is interesting because it appears not to be producing any
side shoots.

Does anyone know if there is a specific variety known for this, or have
I discovered a new one? I don't ever remember seeing a tomato plant
before that did not produce side shoots.

Roy.

--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.

The volunteers rarely come to anything. I think this because they are
either from F1 hybrids or they are random crosses with other things.
I just pull them up these days with the weeds.
Old 06-08-2010, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
,
harry writes
[snipped]

The volunteers rarely come to anything. I think this because they are
either from F1 hybrids or they are random crosses with other things.
I just pull them up these days with the weeds.

But surely this is the way new varieties are formed.

I may have accidentally grown a tomato that all the world will want.

On the other hand ...!

Roy.
--
Roy Bailey
West Berkshire.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Roy Bailey" wrote in message
In article
, harry
writes
[snipped]

The volunteers rarely come to anything. I think this because they are
either from F1 hybrids or they are random crosses with other things.
I just pull them up these days with the weeds.

But surely this is the way new varieties are formed.

I may have accidentally grown a tomato that all the world will want.

On the other hand ...!

All you have to do now is to keep it alive over the winter until you can
grow it on in sterile surroundings so you can control the pollenation and
get seed that breeds true to the parent.

Assuming of course the tomatoes it produces taste nice ;-)

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)