Old 17-08-2010, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Dry stone walling

"®óñ© © ²°¹°" wrote in message
On Mon, 16 Aug 2010 10:32:26 +0100, "Kate Morgan"
wrote:

Over the last few days I have been trying my hand at dry stone walling, it
is a very addictive occupation. I am well aware of the fact that I am not
doing it all proper like and the first person who comes up the lane and
makes any comments re. that will get a pair of gloves and a large stone in
their hands and told to do it then :-) unless it is Prince Charles of
course, but then he would probably do some for me :-)

Don't talk to me about loony Prince Charlie.

Apparently he is on a nationwide *green* tour this week.

Teletext reports that today he is making speeches encouraging the
Welsh to help conserve rain forests. As a resident, I wasn't aware
that we had any left.

--
(¯`·. ®óñ© © ²°¹° .·´¯)

Maybe he can persuade someone to erect wind turbines on some of the taller
ones instead of polluting thecountryside with those ojectionable, unsightly
wind farms .

Bill

Old 17-08-2010, 10:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
o.uk...
Over the last few days I have been trying my hand at dry stone walling,
it
is a very addictive occupation. I am well aware of the fact that I am not
doing it all proper like and the first person who comes up the lane and
makes any comments re. that will get a pair of gloves and a large stone
in
their hands and told to do it then :-) unless it is Prince Charles of
course, but then he would probably do some for me :-) Husband is
creosoting
all fences that he can reach and it is keeping us both out of trouble :-)
Retirement is great !

kate
sunny Gloucestershire

If it's anything like building/repairing Cornish hedges (a bit like a
dry stone wall, but with a core of earth and small stones, and
generally much thicker and well able to support plant growth), then
IME you do need a very good selection of stone so that you can choose
just the right size and shape to fill that gap.

--

Chris

The wall was knocked down by a tractor so we have lots of stones to use to
build it back up again. It is a bit like a giant jig saw puzzle but a lot
more fun.

kate

Considering the thread-drift that has taken place, I'd hope you'd have
finished your wall by now - good juck.

Bill

Old 17-08-2010, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

snip
The wall was knocked down by a tractor so we have lots of stones to use
to build it back up again. It is a bit like a giant jig saw puzzle but a
lot more fun.

kate

Considering the thread-drift that has taken place, I'd hope you'd have
finished your wall by now - good juck.

Bill

Rain has stopped work and play but hopefully I will be able to get on with
it tomorrow :-)

Old 17-08-2010, 02:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/08/2010 10:32, Kate Morgan wrote:
the first person who comes up the lane
and makes any comments re. that will get edited: some equipment
in their hands and told to do it then :-)

I am like that with lots of wee jobs "if you think you can do better
******* well do it yourself" but rather than one sweary word there is
usually a tirade (troopers blush at my language during one of these rants).

Old 17-08-2010, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
o.uk...

Over the last few days I have been trying my hand at dry stone walling,
it
is a very addictive occupation. I am well aware of the fact that I am
not doing it all proper like

Don't forget the "through stones".

Mike

tricky innit :-)

I had a go when part of our front garden dry stone wall fell down, but gave
up and called in a pro. I was worried my attempt might fall into the road!
It least there were no materials to buy as he simply re built what had
fallen down. Watching him led me to have another go on a bit at the back of
the house that looked as if it might fall over into next door.

I carefully took it all apart and laid out the stone on the ground in rough
size order. I then did as he did and made a wooden frame the shape of the
finished wall that I could move along as I built each layer. I never did get
the hang of his main piece of advice "once you pick up a stone always use
it, never put it back down and choose another" it probably would have saved
a bit of back ache if I had. The finished wall is a lot safer looking than
what I started with but no where near as neat as his.

Mike

Old 25-08-2010, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I carefully took it all apart and laid out the stone on the ground in
rough
size order. I then did as he did and made a wooden frame the shape of the
finished wall that I could move along as I built each layer. I never did
get the hang of his main piece of advice "once you pick up a stone always
use it, never put it back down and choose another" it probably would have
saved a bit of back ache if I had. The finished wall is a lot safer
looking than what I started with but no where near as neat as his.

Mike

I still haven't finished the wall but not much more to do, I took the
advice you passed on to me - once you pick up a stone always use it - it
really does work and I have saved myself a bit of back ache :-) thanks

kate

Old 26-08-2010, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message

I carefully took it all apart and laid out the stone on the ground in
rough
size order. I then did as he did and made a wooden frame the shape of the
finished wall that I could move along as I built each layer. I never did
get the hang of his main piece of advice "once you pick up a stone always
use it, never put it back down and choose another" it probably would have
saved a bit of back ache if I had. The finished wall is a lot safer
looking than what I started with but no where near as neat as his.

Mike

I still haven't finished the wall but not much more to do, I took the
advice you passed on to me - once you pick up a stone always use it - it
really does work and I have saved myself a bit of back ache :-) thanks

kate

Glad to be of help, even if the tip was second-hand.

Perhaps you would like to come to Leyburn for further practise as I have
just today noticed a great bulge in the front wall has appeared, strangely
just after BT contractors have dug a trench up the road just outside the
wall!

Mike

Viewing Stones, Flower Stone, Chrysanthemum Stone, ÏÒü£à´ Haeinsuseok Bonsai 0 11-03-2007 03:41 AM
to stone or not to stone..... JerseyMike Lawns 10 30-11-2006 01:26 AM
dry dry dry Rosie United Kingdom 0 02-04-2004 04:21 AM
Matching stone chipping colours to stone circle al United Kingdom 0 23-11-2003 06:03 PM