Old 25-08-2010, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Lily Trees

Has anyone tried the Thompson + Morgan lily tree collection?
I bought a set via Tesco clubcard offers (I was toying with the idea of
buying them anyhow, then getting them effectively for free sold them to me!)
and they've been in for a few months with ... slightly inconsistant results
so far.

Iirc, there were 3 x 3 varieties, and I planted along the fence with a
repeating pattern - so far the 3 nearest the house have come up and are
either in flower or in huge bud. (planted Red-White-Pink and have opened
Pink-White-Red)

They're nowhere near as tall as I expected, but they may get stronger after
this first year, I guess. Terrible lily beetle damage, unfortunately. But
not a lot I can do abut that. Other htan replace the lot with day lilies
instead!!

Not quite sure what has happened to the other 6, but I'm /hoping/ they are
just lagging behing a bit due to the hop plant overshadowing everything.

Anyone else tried them, and what results have you had so far?

(I have the flowers of the first pink one on top of the piano in the living
room atm, and they /absolutely reek/!! The whole room gets filled with the
scent and it's like being drowned in scented syrup whenever you walk into
the room! But in a good way :-)

Old 25-08-2010, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

writes:

Has anyone tried the Thompson + Morgan lily tree collection?
I bought a set via Tesco clubcard offers (I was toying with the idea of
buying them anyhow, then getting them effectively for free sold them to me!)
and they've been in for a few months with ... slightly inconsistant results
so far.

I got a set last year. One got its top chewed off shortly after poking
above ground but to my surprise came up properly this year. They
didn't like the hot dry weather and a different one has gone over
early, see what happens next season. Picked a couple of RLB off them,
but no damage caused, unlike the 'normal' lilies elsewhere which I
think are going to be a write-off next year.

Anthony