Old 28-08-2010, 08:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Avocado reached the roof.

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
"Jeff Layman" wrote in message

You've raised some interesting questions. She's a top grower of all
sorts of things weird and wonderful and she does things that most people
say just can't be done and that no mere mortal should be able to do in
her climate. Growing coffee and many of the other things she does should
be absolutley impossible where she lives but apparently she does it.

I wouldn't even consider a A. bidwillii or a macadamia if I wanted to
plant a hardy tree, I'd use a radiata pine Or failign that, a realy big
rose.

However, since the question was about growing an avocado in Exeter which
must be one of the mildest climes in the UK that is what we should
concentrate on and since Charlie Pridham says that avacodo can grow in
London and I can't see why it wouldn't be worth a try.

But yougot me interested about A. bidwilliii so I did a quick google.
Apparently they have been grown in Cornwall at places called Glendurgan,
Penjarrick and Mount Edgecumbe. Never heard of any of these place, but
I imagine that they'd have to be quite big gardens. No-one with less
than 3 or 4 acres should consider growing an A. Bidwillii if they were
smart (and even then I'd wonder why). The are as ugly as sin, have bark
like an elephant's bottom once mature, grow way too big on anything less
than major acreage and the nuts on those things are lethal.

London has a microclimate all of its own. I doubt there are many true
frosts in central London which are prolonged into the day. There are
many plants which could be grown there which would probably not survive
in even south-west Cornwall, and with the added bonus of a large,
south-facing wall to act as a storage heater, I am sure quite a few
"tropical" fruits are in reach. It would be interesting to see a photo
of an Avocado tree fruiting in Exeter, although I doubt it could be done
outside of glass protection!

I remain unconvinced about A. bidwillii. The photo here
http://teegee8.smugmug.com/Nature/Gl...04556979_afj3B
looks very much like A. araucana to me. If you compare it with
http://anpsa.org.au/a-bid.html or
http://www.maltawildplants.com/ARAU/...idwillii_t.jpg
you will se what I mean. I have emailed Glendurgan to see if they have -
or had - A. bidwillii there.

Well, I stand corrected! I have had a very quick reply from Glendurgan:

"There was an original that grew at Glendurgan many years ago and was
lost in a cold winter once it had reached a reasonable size. The present
tree is young but been planted now for approx 10 years and is growing
well. Although it has not enjoyed the last two winters!"

I hope it survives long enough for me to get down there to see it!

If you are that keen on them, come to Oz where there are some truly huge
brutes about. I must admit I can't understand the interest. But then the
Wollomi Pine is another plant that fails to interest me. The story of it's
discovery is interesting but the plant..... Nah!

Old 28-08-2010, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha wrote:

It's always worth a try unless someone is especially sentimental about
a plant. When I first found this nursery, I tried several things that
died in my then frost-pocket garden but which surviv here and
positively flourish in Salcombe, which is on the sea and about 45
minutes away by road. And ISTR that kiwi fruits (a type of Actinidia)
had gone wild in the Lost Gardens of Heligan and were found growing
right up into the mature trees behind the Italian Garden.

Actinidia chinensis is actually pretty tough, and is merely set back
by late frosts, though the consequence is likely to be no crop.
I was extremely surprised by the hardiness of Acca (Feijoa)
sellowiana, which I wasn't expecting to survive its roots freezing.
I was less surprised by pomegranate, but my pip-grown one hasn't
flowered.

Quite a lot of things are much tougher than the books say, but often
don't flower or fruit, which is why they are described as needing
proptection. Figs, for example - ours lost all of its new growth
late on and produced no fruit buds at all, but every significant
branch resprouted vigorously.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 28-08-2010, 02:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-08-28 10:21:50 +0100, said:

I was extremely surprised by the hardiness of Acca (Feijoa)
sellowiana, which I wasn't expecting to survive its roots freezing.
I was less surprised by pomegranate, but my pip-grown one hasn't
flowered.

Ray is still letting his Acca grow before risking it outdoors. I don't
know how it will do with us because we often find that things will go
through two or three winters quite happily and then suddenly be killed off
in another winter.

Acca is a lot hardier than it is given credit for. Only in this very cold
winter has mine lost some of its upper leaves, and looks like it will
replace those before too long. After such a hard winter, it still surprised
me by having around a dozen flowers (one may be turning into a fruit).
True, it is only 3 metres from the house (SE-facing side) and has the
protection of some other evergreen shrubs, but it is not bad for a Brazilian
shrub.

Quite a lot of things are much tougher than the books say, but often
don't flower or fruit, which is why they are described as needing
proptection. Figs, for example - ours lost all of its new growth
late on and produced no fruit buds at all, but every significant
branch resprouted vigorously.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I'm not at all sure what *does* kill off a fig tree!

--

Jeff

Old 28-08-2010, 02:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I hope it survives long enough for me to get down there to see it!

If you are that keen on them, come to Oz where there are some truly huge
brutes about. I must admit I can't understand the interest. But then the
Wollomi Pine is another plant that fails to interest me. The story of
it's discovery is interesting but the plant..... Nah!

I am sorry to have to tell you that my favourite tree is Araucaria araucana!
I find the Araucariaceae a fascinating family (never mind Oz. If only
someone would give me a ticket to New Caledonia...) and if you could see the
Araucaria forests of Chile you would be very impressed.

Have to agree with you somewhat about the Wollomi Pine, though. I can't see
what all the fuss is about. In fact, despite the obvious resemblance, it
seems that the fact is was a member of the Araucariaceae was hidden for
quite some time.

Still, the most impressive flora in the world is that from WOz. So plenty
of other things for you to choose from if you don't like A. bidwillii. :-))

--

Jeff

Old 28-08-2010, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha wrote:

Again, it's one I saw first in a garden in Jersey but it was lost in a
harder than usual winter. But it was in an open border away from the
house so had only the protection of other planting, although it was
south facing. The same garden had the miniature pomegranate in a
walled garden but again, that fell victim to one especially hard
winter. Normally, Jersey gets them every five years or so but the last
two have been hard in CI terms. ...

Both of mine are in pots and survived the last winter largely without
problems. My guess is that, like so many things, it is the British
combination of cold and wet that writes them off. With good drainage,
they seem to be able to take cold. Certainly, pomegranate grows in
places that get very cold, and the Merkins classify it as zone 7
(-15 Celsius). Acca is only zone 8.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 29-08-2010, 08:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
I hope it survives long enough for me to get down there to see it!

If you are that keen on them, come to Oz where there are some truly huge
brutes about. I must admit I can't understand the interest. But then
the Wollomi Pine is another plant that fails to interest me. The story
of it's discovery is interesting but the plant..... Nah!

I am sorry to have to tell you that my favourite tree is Araucaria
araucana!

A case of 'to each their own' methinks.

I find the Araucariaceae a fascinating family (never mind Oz. If only
someone would give me a ticket to New Caledonia...) and if you could see
the Araucaria forests of Chile you would be very impressed.

I'm impressed with most forests so long as they aren't full of people. Much
more impressive than most cathedrals TMWOT. So yes, I'd probably be
impressed with the New Caledonia ones. A toally irrelevant aside - I wonder
in what way it was so like the Old Caledonia to get that name?

Have to agree with you somewhat about the Wollomi Pine, though. I can't
see what all the fuss is about. In fact, despite the obvious resemblance,
it seems that the fact is was a member of the Araucariaceae was hidden for
quite some time.

Still, the most impressive flora in the world is that from WOz. So plenty
of other things for you to choose from if you don't like A. bidwillii.
:-))

So many plants, so little time, so limiting a climate.......

Old 29-08-2010, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

FarmI wrote:
[...]
A toally
irrelevant aside - I wonder in what way it was so like the Old
Caledonia to get that name?

From its rugged coast, it says here (Wikipee).

Have to agree with you somewhat about the Wollomi Pine, though. I
can't see what all the fuss is about. In fact, despite the obvious
resemblance, it seems that the fact is was a member of the
Araucariaceae was hidden for quite some time.

I'm tipping that the thing is going to be in the Leyland cypress league
pretty soon.
[...]

--
Mike.

Avocado Plant David DeMar Gardening 6 03-06-2008 11:26 PM
Pole beans have reached the top Michael Gardening 2 22-07-2004 01:02 PM
CONSENSUS REACHED ON VOLUNTARY STANDARD FOR LABELLING OF GENETICALLY ENGINEERED FOODS David Kendra sci.agriculture 0 16-09-2003 03:06 AM
Avocado cultivar that can be grown indoors rusty Plant Biology 1 05-04-2003 03:32 PM
where can I get a sharwill avocado in So. Cal? PhilKryder Gardening 0 28-01-2003 02:29 AM