Old 08-09-2010, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

Default Peppers?

Not sure which is the best newsgroup for this so you've got it in two!!

My wife has been given a green pepper, but she only likes the red and yellow
ones, is there any chance that the green one will change colour and taste by
trying to ripen it by keeping it with bananas?

Alan

Old 08-09-2010, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

alan.holmes wrote:
Not sure which is the best newsgroup for this so you've got it in
two!!
My wife has been given a green pepper, but she only likes the red
and
yellow ones, is there any chance that the green one will change
colour and taste by trying to ripen it by keeping it with bananas?

Alan

No. It will just go bad.
Dora

Old 08-09-2010, 10:52 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dora View Post
alan.holmes wrote:
Not sure which is the best newsgroup for this so you've got it in
two!!
My wife has been given a green pepper, but she only likes the red
and
yellow ones, is there any chance that the green one will change
colour and taste by trying to ripen it by keeping it with bananas?

Alan

No. It will just go bad.
Dora
Not necessarily. I've had many a green pepper ripen to red in storage.
__________________
Old 08-09-2010, 11:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

Dora wrote:
alan.holmes wrote:
Not sure which is the best newsgroup for this so you've got it in
two!!
My wife has been given a green pepper, but she only likes the red
and
yellow ones, is there any chance that the green one will change
colour and taste by trying to ripen it by keeping it with bananas?

Alan

No. It will just go bad.

That does seem likely, but I'm not quite sure about it. I think I've had
green peppers show a bit of streaky ripening when simply lying about, so
it's worth trying the banana, even if only for the sake of experience.
If you don't want a green one anyway, you've got nothing to lose.

--
Mike.

Old 09-09-2010, 01:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

"alan.holmes" wrote:

Not sure which is the best newsgroup for this so you've got it in two!!

My wife has been given a green pepper, but she only likes the red and yellow
ones, is there any chance that the green one will change colour and taste by
trying to ripen it by keeping it with bananas?

Alan

It will ripen somewhat to red, not to yellow. Don't think it needs to be
with bananas to do that. We just leave them out on the counter.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

In message , Arri London
writes

"alan.holmes" wrote:

Not sure which is the best newsgroup for this so you've got it in two!!

My wife has been given a green pepper, but she only likes the red and yellow
ones, is there any chance that the green one will change colour and taste by
trying to ripen it by keeping it with bananas?

Alan

It will ripen somewhat to red, not to yellow. Don't think it needs to be
with bananas to do that. We just leave them out on the counter.

That has not been my experience but you and sf are both in the USA, so
it may be that you have better weather than us.
--
June Hughes
Old 09-09-2010, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On 9 Sep, 07:15, June Hughes wrote:
In message , Arri London
writes

"alan.holmes" wrote:

Not sure which is the best newsgroup for this so you've got it in two!!

My wife has been given a green pepper, but she only likes the red and yellow
ones, is there any chance that the green one will change colour and taste by
trying to ripen it by keeping it with bananas?

Alan

It will ripen somewhat to red, not to yellow. Don't think it needs to be
with bananas to do that. We just leave them out on the counter.

That has not been my experience but you and sf are both in the USA, so
it may be that you have better weather than us.
--
June Hughes

It realy depends on how mature it was when picked, if it was close to
starting to ripen then it may well change colour, but if it was
immature then no hope.
On this topic, just, there is a new variety of green pepper coming on
the market that is green when ripe, it is sweeter than the green
peppers on the market now, watch out next year in the suppermarkets.
David Hill
Old 09-09-2010, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

Dave Hill wrote:

It realy depends on how mature it was when picked, if it was close
starting to ripen then it may well change colour, but if it was
immature then no hope.

I agree - that has been my experience always.
But then - I don't have vegetables staying around that long on the
counter.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

June Hughes wrote:

In message , Arri London
writes

"alan.holmes" wrote:

Not sure which is the best newsgroup for this so you've got it in two!!

My wife has been given a green pepper, but she only likes the red and yellow
ones, is there any chance that the green one will change colour and taste by
trying to ripen it by keeping it with bananas?

Alan

It will ripen somewhat to red, not to yellow. Don't think it needs to be
with bananas to do that. We just leave them out on the counter.

That has not been my experience but you and sf are both in the USA, so
it may be that you have better weather than us.

No... always did the same thing in my London kitchen. Just took longer.
AFAIK the yellow, orange and purple cultivars are different and the
usual green peppers won't go those colours.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

In message , Arri London
writes

June Hughes wrote:

In message , Arri London
writes

"alan.holmes" wrote:

Not sure which is the best newsgroup for this so you've got it in two!!

My wife has been given a green pepper, but she only likes the red
and yellow
ones, is there any chance that the green one will change colour
taste by
trying to ripen it by keeping it with bananas?

Alan

It will ripen somewhat to red, not to yellow. Don't think it needs to be
with bananas to do that. We just leave them out on the counter.

That has not been my experience but you and sf are both in the USA, so
it may be that you have better weather than us.

No... always did the same thing in my London kitchen. Just took longer.
AFAIK the yellow, orange and purple cultivars are different and the
usual green peppers won't go those colours.

Well, Arri, here in London, mine stay green until they go crinkly. Then
I am forced to use them before they rot, so I have stopped trying to
ripen them.
--
June Hughes
Old 11-09-2010, 12:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,uk.food+drink.misc

June Hughes wrote:

In message , Arri London
writes

June Hughes wrote:

In message , Arri London
writes

"alan.holmes" wrote:

[...]

Those may be more immature then. Not *every* green pepper I tried to
ripen at home did go red. Admittedly there is more sun here than at home