Old 10-09-2010, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Preserving Scotch Bonnets?

Hi all....

Have a glut of Scotch Bonnets this year... Would like to preserve them for
use over the winter. Have been thinking about mincing them into some white
vinegar with sea salt and putting the resultant mush into a big Kilner jar.

Anyone tried anything similar? Any better ideas?

All tips welcome...

Les

Old 10-09-2010, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ed Ed is offline

Les Hemmings wrote:
Hi all....

Have a glut of Scotch Bonnets this year... Would like to preserve them for
use over the winter. Have been thinking about mincing them into some white
vinegar with sea salt and putting the resultant mush into a big Kilner jar.

Anyone tried anything similar? Any better ideas?

All tips welcome...

Les

Is it possible just to freeze them?

Old 10-09-2010, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ed wrote:
Les Hemmings wrote:
Hi all....

Have a glut of Scotch Bonnets this year... Would like to preserve
them for use over the winter. Have been thinking about mincing them
into some white vinegar with sea salt and putting the resultant mush
into a big Kilner jar. Anyone tried anything similar? Any better ideas?

All tips welcome...

Les

Is it possible just to freeze them?

Yes... but the freezing breaks the cell walls and they go mushy anyway. I
have a jar of commercial chillies preserved the way I mentioned and the
stuff tastes like fresh chillies... was hoping to do the same. Maybe if I
get the Ph of the jar I have and match it with a vinegar reduction i could
get close...

Old 10-09-2010, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Les Hemmings" wrote in :

Hi all....

Have a glut of Scotch Bonnets this year... Would like to preserve
them for use over the winter. Have been thinking about mincing them
into some white vinegar with sea salt and putting the resultant mush
into a big Kilner jar.

Anyone tried anything similar? Any better ideas?

All tips welcome...

Les

Could you dry them, pips and all?
Very very hot as you know.
You could also make a ketchup.
If I had a glut of them your idea (with pickling salt not sea salt) along
with the 2 I have suggested would be what I would do.

Good luck with what you decide,
Part_No
Old 10-09-2010, 09:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Les Hemmings wrote:
Hi all....

Have a glut of Scotch Bonnets this year... Would like to preserve
them for use over the winter. Have been thinking about mincing them
into some white vinegar with sea salt and putting the resultant mush
into a big Kilner jar.
Anyone tried anything similar? Any better ideas?

All tips welcome...

I hear they go very well with marrow and courgettes ;o)

Ian

Old 14-09-2010, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Ford Prefect wrote:

Chilli Jam's good, doesn't use up many but is really tasty. I'm gonna
try it again this year but with some of my crop of Bhut jolokia's
where as last year I use bonnets.
Ford.

Only a real hoopy frood who REALLY knows where his towel is would make jam
with the Bhut!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaEjcY30wgY

L ;o)

Old 14-09-2010, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Les Hemmings wrote:
Hi all....

Have a glut of Scotch Bonnets this year... Would like to preserve them for
use over the winter. Have been thinking about mincing them into some white
vinegar with sea salt and putting the resultant mush into a big Kilner jar.

Anyone tried anything similar? Any better ideas?

All tips welcome...

Freeze them whole.

--
Rusty