Old 18-09-2010, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Shed or Nursery?

I was in our local Focus yesterday pricing up some kitchen units, and
as is my want I wandered out to their plant section.
In the last few months it has been run down drasticaly, most of the
indoor plants having vanished and the hardy stock being reduced by
about 70%.
Well they had 2 Danish Trollies of Very nice indoor cyclamen (outside
when the forecast was saying we might get the first frost of the year)
rather like this http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...endianthus.jpg,
in 5 or 6 inch pots and all labeled as "Dianthus" and priced at £1.25
or 5 for £5.00, just wish I had time to do a car boot sale, I'd have
bought the lot at that price.
I told the manager who was on the phone at the time, he just shruged
his shoulders and said "So what?"
I'd have thought the nursery making up the order whould have done the
pricing, just gives you great faith in the "profesionals".
David Hill
Old 18-09-2010, 03:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote ...
[...]

Some "Manager" that, no concern about a possible financial loss to his firm
or charge of miss-labelling. If he had been doing his job properly he would
have already seen and sorted it and given his staff something to think about
in the process.
Country's full of Administrators (sit behind a desk) but because it's more
difficult and time consuming we seem to have fewer and fewer real Managers
(walk about looking, hands on).

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 18-09-2010, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

rather like thishttp://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff82/taffy4u2/2010%20flowers/cycla...,
in 5 or 6 inch pots and all labeled as "Dianthus" and priced at £1.25
or 5 for £5.00, just wish I had time to do a car boot sale, I'd have
bought the lot at that price.
I told the manager who was on the phone at the time, he just shruged
his shoulders and said "So what?"
I'd have thought the nursery making up the order whould have done the
pricing, just gives you great faith in the "profesionals".
David Hill

Now is the time to buy everything for next year in the garden. :-)
Old 18-09-2010, 08:31 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden View Post
"Dave Hill" wrote ...
[...]

Hi Dave, I sell alot of plants at car boot sales down here in Cornwall and have been doing so for the last 18 years and yes, often get plants for resale from such places. Last spring my local 'Range', had 2 trolleys of lovely japanese azaleas being sold for £1, needless to say, as these were in full flower, i filled my car and sold them all the following Sunday for £2-50 each. But please beware, those cyclamen which I would imagine were the hardy scented mini-cyclamen (miracle) are readily available down here and from most wholesalers from 60p, I sell hundreds from now until Christmas for £1 each and later when nurseries want to clear them at anything down as low as 3 for £1, so just because you see the same advertised in garden centres for anything upto £2-99 each it doesnt mean that you will sell loads at car boot sales unless they not only really cheap but good quality as well.
best wishes, lannerman.

Should I Lock My Shed Hamer Family Edible Gardening 10 19-04-2009 11:58 AM
Garden Shed Roof Leaking WardaleM United Kingdom 13 07-11-2003 10:24 PM
shed animaux Gardening 3 18-02-2003 04:39 PM
Shed with a rollawy roof. Any designs? d m Gardening 1 06-02-2003 04:53 AM
Need building plans for workshop, and shed? Please Ryan Lawns 0 19-10-2002 04:42 PM