Old 20-09-2010, 10:02 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy McIntosh View Post
Went down the lottie this afternoon and have come home with about 20 bites.
The buggers even got through a long sleeved top! Anyway, I recall a
discussion last year when an Avon product was mentioned as the best way to
keep the little sods at bay. Could someone please remind me what it was?
TIA
--
Kathy, who's feeling decidedly itchy and trying very hard not to scratch her
hands :-{
Old 20-09-2010, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Nasty little bu**ers

Gordon H wrote:
So it is clearly not possible to offer any information on this forum without
attracting petty nit picking.

It's a newsgroup, and there are nit-pickers on almost every newsgroup.

And nits.
Old 20-09-2010, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 20 Sep 2010 Spamlet wrote:

(Interestingly the Wiki says the 'Blandford Fly' version was eradicated at
Blandford with Bacillus thuringiensis - which was the favoured 'organic'
control for cabbage white caterpillars until the GM companies got hold of
it
and started sticking its toxin genes into everything, so that eventually
they will just breed resistance to it and the 'organic' gardener will be
defenceless...)

No, not eradicated. Here is what the wiki actually says:

"In the late 1980s, Dorset County Council asked the Institute for
Freshwater Ecology (now the Centre for Ecology and Hydrology), then based
in Wareham, Dorset, to investigate a means of ameliorating the problem.
They suggested using a biological insecticide, Bacillus thuringiensis
israelensis (Bti), which was sprayed into the weed beds, resulting in the
destruction of 80–90% of the Blandford fly larvae and a corresponding
reduction in the numbers of people bitten."

Not the same as "eradicate"! :-)

So it is clearly not possible to offer any information on this forum without
attracting petty nit picking. Explain in full with quotes, and one is 'on
an ego trip' and told to be 'succinct': give a 'succinct' account with a
reference, and the nit pickers fly in to print it out for you.

My word, you *are* a humourless sort of chappie.

Much better gardening advice - and advice on just about anything in fact -
on uk.d-i-y. Where there is plenty of extended discussion and the nit
pickers are in the minority.

Yes, of course, the grass being, as it were, greener. :-)

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 20-09-2010, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Rance" wrote in message
[...]

No: mostly they are looking for ways to kill it so I sought a little light
relief here.

Old 21-09-2010, 10:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"lannerman" wrote in message

Kathy McIntosh;900722 Wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that, I'll give it a go.

--
Kathy

Old 23-09-2010, 12:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2010-09-18 23:11:42 +0100, "Kathy McIntosh" said:

Went down the lottie this afternoon and have come home with about 20
bites. The buggers even got through a long sleeved top! Anyway, I
recall a discussion last year when an Avon product was mentioned as the
best way to keep the little sods at bay. Could someone please remind
me what it was?
TIA

Skin So Soft. In this country they're not allowed to advertise it as
an insect repellent, as far as I'm aware. But it is. It works, IME.

Just got badly bitten in Sorrento. Forgot to take my Avon spray with
me! lesson learned!

Pam in Bristol

OT - How many rec.pond'ers does it take to change a light bulb? Benign Vanilla Ponds 23 23-06-2004 09:09 PM
OT - How many rec.pond'ers does it take to change a light joe Ponds 0 17-06-2004 06:05 PM
All you DIY'ers HELP FBCS Ponds 3 13-08-2003 06:05 AM
All you DIY'ers HELP FBCS Ponds 0 12-08-2003 11:16 PM
plant prop-er-up-ers *muffin* Ponds 7 02-06-2003 04:44 PM